Wikiposts

Requalifying

Old Jan 26th 2010, 8:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Requalifying

Just out of curiosity, did you need to requalify to work in your occupation in Canada and, if so, how long did this process take?

Obviously, this will only be the case if you work in a similar occupation to the one you did in the UK.

Did you look into how tricky it would be before deciding to relocate to Canada?

Do you feel the requalifying process taught you anyting, or is it purely protectionism?

I did need to requalify (I couldn't really have practised in any real capacity without it) and the process took me the best part of 2 1/2 years.

I knew what I was getting into before deciding to relocate.

Protectionist without a doubt.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 11:07 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Requalifying

My husband had to sit all his exams again, but he didn't have to retrain. We did know he would have to do this, we didn't know that he would only get two goes and we didn't know he would get a 3 month twp at the border so had to pass exam within 3 months.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 11:36 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I passed all my stuff for here back in the UK. It was v expensive and technically out of date by UK standards. I passed first time as I am old and so knew all the ancient stuff, younger people have more problems passing.

Flederman got permission to challenge several exams but was not able to find any study books or guides, or access any courses that were not full time and $$$$$. We didn't realised all this.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 12:00 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I passed all my stuff for here back in the UK. It was v expensive and technically out of date by UK standards. I passed first time as I am old and so knew all the ancient stuff, younger people have more problems passing.

Flederman got permission to challenge several exams but was not able to find any study books or guides, or access any courses that were not full time and $$$$$. We didn't realised all this.
Did f'man pass?
Old Jan 26th 2010, 12:10 pm
Almost there...

Pincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud of

WHEN we eventually come over I am hoping to join a Police service. This will mean starting again from scratch, College, probation and being tutored. It will be interesting but also frustrating. Despite 18 years experience and being 40 I will be the new boy, keeping my head down, learning the ropes until I have proved my worth to my colleagues.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pincher
WHEN we eventually come over I am hoping to join a Police service. This will mean starting again from scratch, College, probation and being tutored. It will be interesting but also frustrating. Despite 18 years experience and being 40 I will be the new boy, keeping my head down, learning the ropes until I have proved my worth to my colleagues.
Starting again from scratch - The Canadian way !!
Old Jan 26th 2010, 12:20 pm
Almost there...

Pincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud of

However, where ever i join, I hope that they will take my seniority into account when it comes to pay...
Old Jan 26th 2010, 12:28 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pincher
However, where ever i join, I hope that they will take my seniority into account when it comes to pay...
RCMP ?
Old Jan 26th 2010, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Accountant in public practice have to requalify in their Provincial Institute (CARE) to be able to call themselves Chartered Accountants.

You only get 3 attempts and unfortunately for my OH he didnt pass but that was purely because the Canadian partners had no idea what was involved and forced him to do it within 6 months the first time.

My advice is to get a couple of years under your belt and then tackle something like this exam
Old Jan 26th 2010, 12:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

All noted - thanks
Old Jan 26th 2010, 12:50 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Just out of curiosity, did you need to requalify to work in your occupation in Canada and, if so, how long did this process take? Yes. Seven years, but I was taking it easy.

Obviously, this will only be the case if you work in a similar occupation to the one you did in the UK.

Did you look into how tricky it would be before deciding to relocate to Canada? No.*

Do you feel the requalifying process taught you anyting, or is it purely protectionism?. A bit of both. Now I've done it I am glad I did. I learned new stuff and had a great refresher on other stuff. However, that was not what I was saying at the time (which would consist mostly of *********s if I replicated it here).
* I was expecting it to be more like the US where many senior finance people are not designated accountants. It seems that in corporate USA it is difficult to maintain the ethical standards required of a professional accountant and serve your employer to the best of your ability. So I underestimated the requirement for a professional designation in the Canadian corporate world.

That was a bit of a research failure.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 8:10 pm
Almost there...

Originally Posted by Tangram
RCMP ?
No, need to be a Canadian citizen, plus they can post you anywhere in the country.: I will be looking for somewhere around GTA.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 12:14 am

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

OH did not need to retrain, he has had no issues, he finds many of the procedures and protocols years behind the UK. This is actually working for him and he is implementing ideas from the UK and getting a pat on the back for it!

He cannot call himself an engineer... Before coming to Canada we had considered him becoming recognized as an Engineer by gaining his PENG license, at the moment he does not have the time, and from what we can see he would not really gain anything in his current role.

I worked with Autistic young adults as a Support Worker. All my qualifications are vocational ones that are not recognized here in Canada. I need to retrain and gain a specific certificate here I cannot do this until we have PR as the fees are way to expensive as international student.

We knew all of this before we moved to Canada........

Old Jan 27th 2010, 12:52 am

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

OH an industrial electrician had to qualify for his exam with references and proof of qualification from the uk.
Only received a 12 mth twp as he had to sit his exam within 6mths of being here, also he had only 2 attempts.
thank goodness he passed, but he is now classed as a journeyman and is able to work in all fields

Yes we knew about it before we came and had some good helpers in town that gave him loads of advise in the fiield.
Although he was way over trained for the job he accepted we knew the score and just got on with it, is it wrong, depends................

We here so many horror storys about electricians and trades doing jobs and they say they are qualified or they know what they are doing to there own house, then it costs them more to get a qualified in to do it, so i suppose at least if you hire a journeyman here you know he knows his stuff (well if you hire my OH haha)
Old Jan 27th 2010, 2:28 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I had to re qualify on how to use these damn Canadian layout keyboards. For months my emails were bouncing back because they moved the @ key.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.