Renting a car

Old Jun 12th 2012, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

BobbyN will become famous soon enoughBobbyN will become famous soon enough
Default Renting a car

Hi

Apart from zipcar which seems like a good idea but has limitations where is the best place to rent cars.

Also do places allow rental with a UK license - international permit for the year.

What other limitations am i expected to encounter?

Thanks
Bobby
Old Jun 12th 2012, 3:54 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting a car

Originally Posted by BobbyN
Hi

Apart from zipcar which seems like a good idea but has limitations where is the best place to rent cars.

Also do places allow rental with a UK license - international permit for the year.

Thanks
Bobby
How do you think travellers rent cars ? Not many people have a license for every country they visit.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 4:08 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks
Bobby
If you're over 25 and have a credit card, none that I can think of.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 4:11 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

you dont need an international driving licence to rent a car in Canada..UK licence is fine.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tangram
How do you think travellers rent cars ? Not many people have a license for every country they visit.
was not really much point in you replying
Old Jun 12th 2012, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Does anyone know actually know of the best places to rent from - is there anything similar to 'Easy Rent a car'?
Old Jun 12th 2012, 4:16 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know actually know of the best places to rent from - is there anything similar to 'Easy Rent a car'?
Best as in "cheapest"?

Honestly, its "garbage in garbage out" here. If you dont spell out what you want to know, then you get peoples best guess at a reply. And if you are then rude to those that do bother to try and help figure out what you want, then you can kiss any chance of others taking the time to try and help goodbye.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 4:20 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks
Bobby
Google contact details, phone rental companies, ask questions, make informed decision
Old Jun 12th 2012, 4:24 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Avis, mid size car, don't get the CDW.

http://www.avis.ca

Sorted for you.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 4:24 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

was not really much point in you replying
Genuine question on an open forum.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

Tony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud of

Hi

Thanks
Bobby
When hiring a car in Canada, you should have liability insurance (third party). Some firms will refuse to give you a car unless you take theirs out (which will be extortionate) or you already have your insurance arranged - certificate required. I think moneymaxim is the name of the search engine which gives quotes from most insurance companies.

Last edited by Tony-the-Tigger; Jun 12th 2012 at 5:10 pm. Reason: correction of website name
Old Jun 12th 2012, 5:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tony-the-Tigger
When hiring a car in Canada, you should have liability insurance (third party). Some firms will refuse to give you a car unless you take theirs out (which will be extortionate) or you already have your insurance arranged - certificate required. I think moneymaxim is the name of the search engine which gives quotes from most insurance companies.
I don't think this is correct. The company will have liability insurance and you can't decline it even if you're covered under another policy. What you can, and should, decline is the collision damage insurance, that's often as expensive as the car hire and is likely covered by your credit card benefits.

I suppose I've hired cars in Canada, for myself and for visitors, 500 times. Liability insurance has never been mentioned.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 6:57 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

depends what you want. All the international chains are in most major airports and other locations around the place. Avis, Hertz, Budget, Discount, Enterprise... you pays your money, you takes your choice. Do you need unlimited mileagge or are you doing only short journeys? Are you going out of province? Into the States? Are you over 25? Will you be the only driver? Do you want an executive luxo-barge or a subcompact? Answers to all of these will effect which is the "best" company to use.

I have used Avis extensively in the past, mainly (well, only) because of a corporate deal. They were the "best" for me because I just booked online, turned up, waved the corporate account card, and off I went; that was really my only consideration. With my own money, I've used Enterprise, Budget, Hertz etc occasionally.

I have yet to find a good price comparison site - but it may be worth checking out redflagdeals.ca to see if there are any current bargains or special offers.

On another note, I hope you haven't been conned into paying for an International Drivers' Permit for a visit to Canada. It is utterly pointless: the only purpose of an IDP is to provide a translation of your driving privileges into the language of the country you're visiting. Validity of a UK license is in no way enhanced in Canada by an IDP.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 8:45 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

www.rentawreck.ca
Old Jun 12th 2012, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Tony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't think this is correct. The company will have liability insurance and you can't decline it even if you're covered under another policy. What you can, and should, decline is the collision damage insurance, that's often as expensive as the car hire and is likely covered by your credit card benefits.

I suppose I've hired cars in Canada, for myself and for visitors, 500 times. Liability insurance has never been mentioned.
I may be wrong, I've been so before!

From my own personal experience, having booked a rental car three times for YYZ in the last year from the UK, you will see SLI (supplementary Liability Insurance) mentioned at some point along the booking process. It often nearly doubles the hire cost. I've used Hotwire.ca twice to book a hertz rental. This way you can avoid paying the automatic coverage which even hotwire.co.uk add on. Upon arrival at the rental desk, you just need to tell them that you have car hire insurance and want to decline their own products. No problem.
The other time, I used Payless car hire. They insisted on seeing and copying the car hire insurance certificate. Their booking website forewarns you of this procedure. Apparently, lots of septics don't realise this and regularly get stung at the rental desk.

I did read up on all this guff some time ago and I do seem to remember that visitors to Canada should have SLI to protect them from being sued.

The annual Policy I have cost £100 and covers tyres, glass, lock out, towing, theft of possessions within car, collision excess and 1 million liability.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.