British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   relocation packages (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/relocation-packages-461699/)

sixofus! Jun 27th 2007 11:47 am

relocation packages

OK so those of you whos company has helped or provided relocation packages, what did they pay for? what didnt they pay for? whats an average ? is there such a thing.

My hubby has been offered a job quite high up with a big construction firm, they did a lot of the chasing, they came over her to meet him etc, are payong for us to visit them, have said they will help- but we wondered what that ment, havent got to the point of asking yet, are waiting for pr through BC PNP, and have been told will sort out more to do with that when we have firm dates.

i was just wondering what other peoples experiences were.....;)

sixofus! Jun 27th 2007 11:48 am

Re: relocation packages

sorry just adding...is there anything we should ask for???????

Roos here Jun 27th 2007 12:09 pm

we were given a fixed amount to spend on relocation, some of which we could get billed directly to the employer, others we have to pay and claim back when we land, but it all comes out of the pot and when its gone its gone.

sixofus! Jun 27th 2007 12:11 pm

what would be a good fixed amount then???

sixofus! Jun 28th 2007 9:29 am

hi anyone???

gryphea Jun 28th 2007 9:38 am

Originally Posted by sixofus! (Post 4979880)
hi anyone???

I would PM you if I could- but the buttons seem to have disappeared. Its a public forum and I don't really want to discuss financial details in the open

Tangram Jun 28th 2007 9:39 am

Mine. Almost everything.

Tangram Jun 28th 2007 9:41 am

Depends on what your overall costs are ! If your OC is £20,000 and the fixed sum is 5p then not good, but if OC is £20,000 and they offer £20,000 you're happy.

Bit of a daft response to a daft question.

sixofus! Jun 28th 2007 9:49 am

sorry i didnt think it was a daft question:(

i just wanted to know if there was an average cost or package, so i didnt ask for anything to unrealistic or set my expectations to high.
Or to low!

Tangram Jun 28th 2007 9:54 am

Originally Posted by sixofus! (Post 4979973)
sorry i didnt think it was a daft question:(

i just wanted to know if there was an average cost or package, so i didnt ask for anything to unrealistic or set my expectations to high.
Or to low!

Tot up what it's going to cost you and ask for that.

Flossie and Jim Jun 28th 2007 10:02 am

No idea what is a good package or not but I am being offered 5% of the offered salary to cover moving costs but it is local government so that is very good really. It is worth noting that if I leave within 2 years then I will have to pay a proportion of this back to the firm.

If I were in the private sector and I was being chased to work somewhere I would probably want the relocation package to cover:
- flights for all the family (economy of course!)
- shipping and removals costs
- perhaps a bit of startup costs to cover initial rental and connection charges for services

Although this could amount to quite a bit, but you have to start somewhere with negotiations I guess.

Goos luck!
Flossie

sixofus! Jun 28th 2007 11:31 am

thanks for the replys x
am going to get some quotes.

LoopyLou Jun 28th 2007 11:41 am

No idea what is a good package or not but I am being offered 5% of the offered salary to cover moving costs but it is local government so that is very good really. It is worth noting that if I leave within 2 years then I will have to pay a proportion of this back to the firm.

If I were in the private sector and I was being chased to work somewhere I would probably want the relocation package to cover:
- flights for all the family (economy of course!)
- shipping and removals costs
- perhaps a bit of startup costs to cover initial rental and connection charges for services

Although this could amount to quite a bit, but you have to start somewhere with negotiations I guess.
Not quite sure how to do the whole quote thing yet. I reiterate everything Flossie and Jim say and I would add 10% on to that price as a contingency, things always seem to go wrong somewhere along the line. :ohmy: You will negotiate this I would imagine anyway. Best of luck to you.

Halifax harpie Jun 28th 2007 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by sixofus! (Post 4975574)
OK so those of you whos company has helped or provided relocation packages, what did they pay for? what didnt they pay for? whats an average ? is there such a thing.

My hubby has been offered a job quite high up with a big construction firm, they did a lot of the chasing, they came over her to meet him etc, are payong for us to visit them, have said they will help- but we wondered what that ment, havent got to the point of asking yet, are waiting for pr through BC PNP, and have been told will sort out more to do with that when we have firm dates.

i was just wondering what other peoples experiences were.....;)

We were in the same position, OH offered VP position, company did all the chasing. They paid for everything, PR permits, attorney to sort out all the paper work (we got our PR's in 8 months) relocation costs, airfares (pets included) cost of buying house here, 3 months rental whilst we looked for house, company cars for both of us. Holidays are important, negotiate leave entitlement right from the beginning. It may not seem important but my OH is now working up to 50-60 hours a week so extra weeks holiday was a big thing to get.
I don't know if you have children or not, but one of the best things we also did was get the company to agree to pay for our 3 to go to university here. Fees in NS are higher than elsewhere in Canada, so it has made a big difference to us, especially as from September all 3 of them will be at university here in Halifax.
Everyone's needs are different, but I think if they are that keen to get you over here, if there is something you need then ask them for it - they can only say no.

sixofus! Jun 28th 2007 2:03 pm

WOW yes we have 4 kids, oldest 10 youngest 2, i hadnt even thought of asking for university fees? long way off....something to think about.

They have already agreed to match what he had here for holidays which is quite good by canadian standards,...good cos we take 3 weeks holidays most years, only way i can get him to relax!!!