Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

religion, what think you

religion, what think you

Old Nov 21st 2013, 6:31 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: religion, what think you

Originally Posted by dbd33
Laws enacted by Protestants, not by neutral parties.
What about all the persecution of religious groups in China and Russia, etc? By definition Communists are supposed to be atheist.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 6:34 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Would be a bit weird (although funny) to make her wear one when the other kids don't.
yeah, she's already traumatized enough by my weird Kiwi ways.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 6:34 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
What about all the persecution of religious groups in China and Russia, etc? By definition Communists are supposed to be atheist.
Because they wanted to stamp out the irrational beliefs that the capitalists and landowners used to oppress the people. Once they were free of those religious bonds then they would be able choose their own rational life paths.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 6:35 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
You have to wonder why in this day and age, there are still forms and applications that go out of their way to find out what colour, religions, race people are.....you bloody well know it's not for census purposes.
Usually for HR purposes, to prove you're not discriminating.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 6:51 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Usually for HR purposes, to prove you're not discriminating.
Or the reverse...to discriminate on who they are about to hire. I mean take for example a company with an objective to only hire people that look a certain way or of a certain religion....surely that will be their perfect tool to weed out people before they get to the face 2 face interview stage

I am sure self made millionaires and Billionaires don't care who is on the floor making them richer, as far as they are concerned, it could bloody well be a donkey, as long as that donkey is making them richer.

Just look at the undercover boss show on TV

Last edited by ultrarunner; Nov 21st 2013 at 7:14 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 6:56 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
Or the reverse...to discriminate on who they are about to hire. I mean take for example a company with an objective to only hire people that look a certain way or of a certain religion....surely that will be their perfect tool to weed out people before they get to the interview face 2 face interview stage

I am sure self made millionaires and Billionaires don't care who is on the floor making them richer, as far as they are concerned, it could bloody well be a donkey, as long as that donkey is making them richer.

Just look at the undercover boss show on TV
Aye, positive discrimination in order to meet ethnic quotas is a reality that wont go away. Its kept dbd gainfully employed for years.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

But Christmas is not really about religion. There's no mention of elves or mince pies in the bible.
Surely Mary and Josef would have had mince pies.....Just because it isn't mentioned doesn't mean it doesn't exist

Unfortunately Christmas turned into a media, money making, who gets the biggest present competition and sadly less and less kids will know what it is really about and where it originates.

My point is, if one doesn't believe in anything fine I don't care but then don't use it to their advantage when it pleases but slag it off for the rest of the time.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 8:31 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA
Surely Mary and Josef would have had mince pies.....Just because it isn't mentioned doesn't mean it doesn't exist

Unfortunately Christmas turned into a media, money making, who gets the biggest present competition and sadly less and less kids will know what it is really about and where it originates.

My point is, if one doesn't believe in anything fine I don't care but then don't use it to their advantage when it pleases but slag it off for the rest of the time.
that's BS. there's a difference between culture and religion. Christmas is a festival with pre-christian roots and has arguably become completely secular. I have no issue with celebrating krismis as a non-believer. What amuses me is Christians trying to claim we are celebrating "their" festival - um, no it's not "your" festival anymore. It has now been claimed by non-believers and other faith groups in western countries, just like the Christians claimed it from the pagans. Suck it up, buttercup.

Merry Krismis! Sure can't wait to put up that non-religious tree, decorate it with non-religious baubles, and stuff my face with food with my completely non-religous family.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Nov 21st 2013 at 8:35 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 8:36 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA

Why not? I think the wider culture would have to go a long way to catch up with organized religions when it comes to hypocrisy.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass

Merry Krismis! Sure can't wait to put up that non-religious tree, decorate it with non-religious baubles, and stuff my face with food with my completely non-religous family.
And get pissed a lot.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 8:40 pm

And get pissed a lot.
yeah! and lie around.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 8:43 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass

Merry Krismis!
Do whatever the hell you like to celebrate the "holiday season" but FFS don't do that to the word. That's just awful. If you don't want to spell it properly then just call it "the holidays" or something. Bleugh.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Do whatever the hell you like to celebrate the "holiday season" but FFS don't do that to the word. That's just awful. If you don't want to spell it properly then just call it "the holidays" or something. Bleugh.
How about Quithmas?
Old Nov 21st 2013, 9:12 pm

How about Quithmas?
HAHAHAHA.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 10:15 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montreal mike
1. I am a believer

2. I am not a believer

3. It is all rubbish
After watching this video I have never believed in 'the man in the sky' again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.