Religion

Old Feb 22nd 2009, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Religion

"whether you knew if they thought the same of you."

I never thought they were wrong.
I never thought they thought I was wrong.
I was never taught they were wrong.
I was taught to respect others beliefs.
I was taught to act with respect in other religions places of worship.

Your question to me strikes me as odd.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 1:09 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by triumphguy
"whether you knew if they thought the same of you."

I never thought they were wrong.
I never thought they thought I was wrong.
I was never taught they were wrong.
I was taught to respect others beliefs.
I was taught to act with respect in other religions places of worship.

Your question to me strikes me as odd.
I'm sorry you feel it is odd, my understanding of Christianity is that you belive your god made the earth/is the one true god/his son died for humanity etc. I thought the words from the bible indicated there was only one. I thought that Catholics (and the other main players) went out to convert "heathens" into the religion - basically telling them that their animist beliefs (or whatever) were whacked and they needed to get with the (Christian) program.

In which case I assumed that if another bunch of people didn't believe in your god but instead worshiped idols of elephants (or whatever), then they were wrong in not worshiping your one true god and were destined for hell. (and they might think vice versa)

I mean, if they think their god made the earth and directs things still, and you think your god does, then either one of you is right and one is wrong, or both gods are kicking around in which case why don't each of your books mention the other one? Do they work on a shift pattern if you like?

It seems contradictory for their to be more than one religion, when a central tenant of religions seems to be that there is really only one god and its their god.

If you were non-religious and were looking to pick one to join, how do you know which one to pick, which billion people are correct?
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

If you had read my explanation above:

My point of view is a view from a point.
Other points of view also point to the truth.

Religions are more like language than "science." They point to, and reveal the truth. They are the faith narratives of that community's relationship with the spiritual as it develops over time.

The Catholic Church teaches (Vatican 2, Gaudium et Spes) that all men are intrinsically holy, that all religions point to God, that truth is to be found in all religions, and in the thinking of all those who seek the truth, whether aetheist or religious.

Your question about which religion to pick, is like me saying to you, "Which work of literature, in the original language, do you want to read?" You read the literature you understand the language of. You pick the religion you were born into, unless you're so attracted by another.

Why must my right be at the expense of another?
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 1:40 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

"Why must my right be at the expense of another?"

Perhaps because it's a tenet of Catholicism that all non-Catholics will burn in hell?
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
"Why must my right be at the expense of another?"

Perhaps because it's a tenet of Catholicism that all non-Catholics will burn in hell?
With their winter tires?

Show me where it says that!
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 2:10 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

You've used that silly point-point thing about 3 times now. It's trite and not useful. Much like most religion. If a point of view is a view from a point, then how can a point point to anything.

Eh?

With their winter tires?

Show me where it says that!
It says it in the post immediately above yours, which from my point of view, is equally likely to have been posted by God as any of the writings in the bible etc.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 2:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
You've used that silly point-point thing about 3 times now. It's trite and not useful. Much like most religion. If a point of view is a view from a point, then how can a point point to anything.

Eh?

A view from a point, not a view of a point!
It was a paradigm shift of mine to realise that my world view was not necessarilly the same as all other peoples' world view.

It says it in the post immediately above yours, which from my point of view, is equally likely to have been posted by God as any of the writings in the bible etc.
What God, or the Church is quoted as saying all non-believers go to hell?

When the Church said that the world was 4/5ths pink, ships were driven by steam, and Englishmen ruled the world. And protestants said it of Catholics too.

Times have changed.

Understandings have deepened.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 3:57 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Those that invented Hell.

When the Church said that the world was 4/5ths pink, ships were driven by steam, and Englishmen ruled the world. And protestants said it of Catholics too.
Incoherent nonsense, have you been drinking? I have. God said it was OK.

Times have changed.

Yes, but apparently you need to catch up.

Look, I've never met you, and I never will. You can have faith in whatever turns you on. It is of no matter to me. Enjoy your past, repent in the future for wasting your life.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 5:44 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

If you had read my explanation above:

Religions are more like language than "science." They point to, and reveal the truth. They are the faith narratives of that community's relationship with the spiritual as it develops over time.

The Catholic Church teaches (Vatican 2, Gaudium et Spes) that all men are intrinsically holy, that all religions point to God, that truth is to be found in all religions, and in the thinking of all those who seek the truth, whether aetheist or religious.

Your question about which religion to pick, is like me saying to you, "Which work of literature, in the original language, do you want to read?" You read the literature you understand the language of. You pick the religion you were born into, unless you're so attracted by another.

Why must my right be at the expense of another?
Thankyou for replying again, I think you have answered my question, albeit in a roundabout way.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Incoherent nonsense, have you been drinking? I have. God said it was OK.

Good for you.
Yes, but apparently you need to catch up.

I'm happy going my own pace thank you very much.

Look, I've never met you, and I never will.

Thanks - makes me feel better already.

You can have faith in whatever turns you on. It is of no matter to me. Enjoy your past, repent in the future for wasting your life.

And I'll get my animist friends to slaughter a goat in your honor.
I would have said I'll pray for you, but that would have been a trite fiction meant to irritate; also untrue and hypocritical to boot.

I'll probably go to hell for writing that! I hope the atheists are right!

Last edited by triumphguy; Feb 22nd 2009 at 7:13 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 12:05 pm
never settled

S E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to all

My viewpoint on religion is this.....

Religion esp. the Christian and Catholic faiths paved the way for civilized society giving us morals and shaping us into the people we are today but unfortunately got left behind and wasn't able to keep up with times and alas was stuck in a paradox.

When religion was dropped from the education system murder rates, sexual assaults etc all rose, concluding that teaching religion in school made society wholesome.

One thing most faiths cannot deal with is individuality. People such as gays have been repressed because of religions idealistic mindset. In this day and age people are starting to realise that all things aunt evil, that you won't burn forever in hell. Thanks to media gays, atheists, spiritualists are becoming a member of mainstream society and hopefully one day will not be judged upon how they choose to live their lives or be abused for being the way they were born.

Personally I'm not an atheist, I do believe life has purpose and meaning otherwise well I would lose all hope and desire. I just think we have to take religion with a grain of salt and open up our minds to the world we call home.

Religions lack of acceptance has unfortunately been its undoing...

-Sean
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 12:16 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S E A N
When religion was dropped from the education system murder rates, sexual assaults etc all rose, concluding that teaching religion in school made society wholesome.
love to see where you got that from

sounds like pure speculation to me
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 12:19 pm
never settled

S E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MikeUK
love to see where you got that from

sounds like pure speculation to me
I went to a University debate on the subject and the statistics were brought up showing it had rose, but of course can't verify.

Last edited by S E A N; Feb 22nd 2009 at 12:24 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 12:30 pm
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

Times have changed.

So what your saying then is religion and the bible changes to suit what science has discovered and the knowledge science has given man?

To me that reads my faith in my religion is based on what is known by humanity now, i.e the earth is flat etc, and as humanity grows with knowledge through science the church or mosques have to change their BS story to accomodate.

Im converted!!!!!
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

Settlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really nice

Originally Posted by S E A N
My viewpoint on religion is this.....

Religion esp. the Christian and Catholic faiths paved the way for civilized society giving us morals and shaping us into the people we are today
WHAT? With all the intolerance, oppression that is black on white written into the scripture? With all the brutality described in the Old Testament?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.