Religion

Old Feb 21st 2009, 12:12 am
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Religion

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I agree with all that you say.

I, too, turned my back on it as I saw it as being way too hypocritical. I also believe that those that have any form of faith, should be secure enough to be able to not take offence when non-believers question their beliefs.

All religion is hypocritical! Bar non!! The sooner its all removed from modern day life the safer the world will be and the less problems!! Im Baptised by my parents choice but apathetic by my own! If god exists then he can show himself to me! I find it highly unlikely he does but there maybe a superior race out there from another planet that to stone throwing humans appeared god like! Religion was used to control the masses at a time they could not handle their own mortality and there was no sir robert peel inventing the police force.

Each to their own believers and non alike - nothing should be forced on others and everyone should be free to voice their opinion without it being an issue if u want to beleive in a hypocritical religion thats your choice!
Old Feb 21st 2009, 12:16 am
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Pure sophistry. You might as well argue for the existence of a divine soul in ameoba, since we certainly couldn't have bypassed that stage in our evolution into sentient entities.
my god (pardon the pun) you actually said something intelligent sensible and I agree with it!! wow!
Old Feb 21st 2009, 12:16 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Just done 'God Delusion' by Dawkin's and 'God is not Great' by Hitchens recently
The Atkins book is quite old (1980?) but it is written by one of the best theoreticians (and educators) around.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 12:17 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikey B
my god (pardon the pun) you actually said something intelligent sensible and I agree with it!! wow!
I recant.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 12:20 am
No time for muppets!

I recant.
chicken!!! How was my spelling?
Old Feb 21st 2009, 12:46 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James Martindale
Yes. Like it or not Atheist's have to accept that Western Society is founded on Christian principles and the law has developed on those principles of right and wrong over time. In the court of law people are made to swear on the bible when they testify etc.....
no they don't, they can take an affirmation that they will tell the truth, without reference to god the bible and anything else.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 12:52 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
No, Rae, that assumption is not necessary. There is no causal link between the intellectual rigour of an argument and the truth of an unrelated belief that the proponent happens to hold.
No one is doubting his belief or faith, but i beg to differ. Various points in history are being quoted, some factual, some based on 'folklore', so a distinction is necessary. I am surprised at this comment given that all religion is nothing but intellectual argument and unfounded belief, yet this person argues to the contrary.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Question:

Has science ever made mistakes?
Have scientists ever been screwed up as human beings?
Have bad things been done in the name of science?
Have scientists ever done stupid things?

Newton believed in alchemy for instance. How could the guy who invented physics believe in alchemy? That's almost like believing there's no god, but there is a master race of aliens

Why do we attribute to science and/or religion many things which are in fact human traits? Arrogance, narrow-mindedness, stupidity, ignorance as well as endeavour, the search for meaning, goodness etc.

Feel free to question and search for meaning from what ever sources you wish. I would ask that you don't put down other's beliefs though, or attribute labels to a group.

Not all scientists are necessarilly introverted, socially inept misfits.

Not all science and technology has created global warming, the extinction of species and the destruction of the environment.

Also, all points of view are VIEWS FROM A POINT, and so are intrinsically narrow.

I am proud of my religion when it fights poverty and dictatorship, when it fights for the rights of the person, and when it is counter-cultural: the culture of consumerism, the culture of technology that alienates that which is human, the culture of narcisissm, the culture of greed.

What anyone else thinks about my religion I don't really give a toss.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 9:33 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, but we already do know that.
Sorry- but how do we know that?

I am afraid any evidence produced to say there isn't a God has thus far been severley lacking and that is being kind. Others might say the evidence is totally non existant.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...on-advertising

Here is a bus campaign by Atheist's. So disturbed by God that they felt obliged to waste money on a campain. Noticed that they used the word "probably" because they aren't sure or conclusive.

Last edited by JamesM; Feb 21st 2009 at 10:51 am.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 9:35 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Settlers_Unlimited
I'm curious, what are those Christian principles that were laid into foundation of Western society?
Just go to school or read The Bible- New Testament. You will see how many gospel teachings are used on a day to day basis.

Last edited by JamesM; Feb 21st 2009 at 10:52 am.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 9:49 am
Dive Bar Drunk

No I don't think you quite understand the non-believer

we're not asking you to prove anything, we may however point out that your proof may not be what you think it is

I would add that some scientists would go further to suggest that the available evidence would suggest that their is scant reason for the existence of a creator
and certainly enough is known about the fundamentals of the universe to suggest that its statistically more probable that there isn't a creator
All scientists do is carry out experiments in controlled environments based on a number of assumptions and variables. I wouldn't put to much faith in them- their view point changes every 10 years or so and this is usually driven by where their sponsorship money is coming from. I couldn't think of a more corrupt and hypocritical subject than science that has been used to influence humanity in the last hundred years, far more dangerous than any religion.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 12:06 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

All scientists do is carry out experiments in controlled environments based on a number of assumptions and variables. I wouldn't put to much faith in them- their view point changes every 10 years or so and this is usually driven by where their sponsorship money is coming from. I couldn't think of a more corrupt and hypocritical subject than science that has been used to influence humanity in the last hundred years, far more dangerous than any religion.
You used the term faith.........

Science isn't about faith its about achieving the best possible understanding based on the available evidence,
sometimes you learn things that mean you have to re-arrange your view point and change some of your earlier assumptions
Relativity being one case in point
Old Feb 21st 2009, 12:08 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by triumphguy
Question:

Has science ever made mistakes?
Have scientists ever been screwed up as human beings?
Have bad things been done in the name of science?
Have scientists ever done stupid things?

its in the subtle difference of the message

Science : We think we're right based on our current evidence

Religion: We know we're right you just have to have faith in us
Old Feb 21st 2009, 12:32 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

You used the term faith.........

Science isn't about faith its about achieving the best possible understanding based on the available evidence,
sometimes you learn things that mean you have to re-arrange your view point and change some of your earlier assumptions
Relativity being one case in point
The reality of modern science is that you have to achieve the result that satisfies the person funding the experimentation or you have the funding withdrawn.

Look at all the scientists in Britain who proved that Global Warming was natural and carbon dioxide from human beings were minimal. Not only are they attacked constantly by Environmentalists but because their theory is not inline with current Government mandate their funding has dried up and been withdrawn.

Simirlarly in the 1930's German scientists "proved" that superior athletes had fair skin, blonde hair and blue eyes until an athlete called Jesse Owens turned up and completely blew their German athlete's away.

I read on Monday that Scientists had proven Coffee was bad for me and gave me throat cancer, then on Tuesday I read that Scientists had proven coffee was good for me and would help prevent dementia. On Wednesday I decided it was just best to enjoy my coffee and forget about the scientists!!!
Old Feb 21st 2009, 12:49 pm
Part Time Poster

The reality of modern science is that you have to achieve the result that satisfies the person funding the experimentation or you have the funding withdrawn.

Look at all the scientists in Britain who proved that Global Warming was natural and carbon dioxide from human beings were minimal. Not only are they attacked constantly by Environmentalists but because their theory is not inline with current Government mandate their funding has dried up and been withdrawn.

Simirlarly in the 1930's German scientists "proved" that superior athletes had fair skin, blonde hair and blue eyes until an athlete called Jesse Owens turned up and completely blew their German athlete's away.

I read on Monday that Scientists had proven Coffee was bad for me and gave me throat cancer, then on Tuesday I read that Scientists had proven coffee was good for me and would help prevent dementia. On Wednesday I decided it was just best to enjoy my coffee and forget about the scientists!!!
Just shows how the system works, one scientist comes up with and idea and sometimes goes to the popular press,
peer review kicks in,
the hypothesis is tested by the group
If wrong another article will be published often by many others countering the argument and in a respectable scientific journal

The environmental argument was an unwise choice, massive peer review quashed that not funding

Last edited by MikeUK; Feb 21st 2009 at 1:07 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.