REFUND

Old Jul 24th 2008, 5:21 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: REFUND

This is the law, from the Income Tax Act:

62. (1) There may be deducted in computing a taxpayer’s income for a taxation year amounts paid by the taxpayer as or on account of moving expenses incurred in respect of an eligible relocation,

248. (1)"eligible relocation" means a relocation of a taxpayer where

(a) the relocation occurs to enable the taxpayer

(i) to carry on a business or to be employed at a location in Canada (in section 62 and this subsection referred to as “the new work location”), or

(ii) to be a student in full-time attendance enrolled in a program at a post-secondary level at a location of a university, college or other educational institution (in section 62 and in this subsection referred to as “the new work location”),

(b) both the residence at which the taxpayer ordinarily resided before the relocation (in section 62 and this subsection referred to as “the old residence”) and the residence at which the taxpayer ordinarily resided after the relocation (in section 62 and this subsection referred to as “the new residence”) are in Canada, and

(c) the distance between the old residence and the new work location is not less than 40 kilometres greater than the distance between the new residence and the new work location

except that, in applying subsections 6(19) to (23) and section 62 in respect of a relocation of a taxpayer who is absent from but resident in Canada, this definition shall be read without reference to the words “in Canada” in subparagraph (a)(i), and without reference to paragraph (b);

And this is CRA's interpretation (IT-178)

¶ 19. After 1988, a taxpayer who is, throughout all or part of a taxation year, absent from Canada, but resident in Canada for tax purposes, is not subject to the "in Canada" requirements in ¶s 1 and 5 above (Section 64.1). Taxpayers absent from, but resident in Canada for tax purposes, would include both an individual deemed by section 250 to be a resident of Canada and an individual considered resident in Canada while abroad because of the retention of residential ties in Canada (see the current version of IT-221, Determination of an Individual's Residence Status).
Old Jul 24th 2008, 5:23 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JonboyE
You cannot claim a moving expense deduction for a move from the UK when you arrive as a PR or on a TWP.
That's too bad because the first link seems to indicate it is possible.

Perhaps some changes need to be made to the Government web site. Like that's going to happen real soon...I think not.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 5:30 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
That's too bad because the first link seems to indicate it is possible.

Perhaps some changes need to be made to the Government web site. Like that's going to happen real soon...I think not.
They could make it much clearer if they just said that you must be resident in Canada for tax purposes before and after the move. Then they wouldn't need to worry about in or out, or to and from. Unfortunately, tax law is written by lawyers.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 8:38 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

We were able to claim for our move, our friends tried to claim this year and was told that there have been some recent changes to that policy and they have taken away the international allowance. Shame really as it's really helpful to get some money back.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
They could make it much clearer if they just said that you must be resident in Canada for tax purposes before and after the move. Then they wouldn't need to worry about in or out, or to and from. Unfortunately, tax law is written by lawyers.
The law is quite clear (lawyers, yes) , it's the web pages of CRA (public servants, no) that is confusing

I tried to claim mine in last year's tax return even though I knew the law was against me - I got a nice round number 0

It's the resident issue that is the killer for PRs
Old Jul 24th 2008, 11:43 pm
Just Joined

sheila young is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to everyone who answered
Old Jul 24th 2008, 11:46 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sheila young
Thanks to everyone who answered
You're welcome