British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   REFUND (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/refund-550890/)

sheila young Jul 24th 2008 4:49 am

REFUND

Hi,
Can someone help -
Is it true that you can apply for a refund re moving expenses ie flights etc. My husband moved to Edmonton 5 months ago as he was offered a managerial post, we (daughter and myself) have just arrived and a colleague of my husband said that we should apply for a refund of all our expenses re the move!:ohmy:
ta

Judy in Calgary Jul 24th 2008 5:25 am

Re: REFUND

Originally Posted by sheila young (Post 6604358)
Hi,
Can someone help -
Is it true that you can apply for a refund re moving expenses ie flights etc. My husband moved to Edmonton 5 months ago as he was offered a managerial post, we (daughter and myself) have just arrived and a colleague of my husband said that we should apply for a refund of all our expenses re the move!:ohmy:
ta

Hello, Sheila, and welcome to the BE forum.

Your husband's colleague's tip is applicable only to moves within Canada. This tax break is not available to people who move to Canada from abroad.
x

Coffeepot Jul 24th 2008 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary (Post 6604397)
Hello, Sheila, and welcome to the BE forum.

Your husband's colleague's tip is applicable only to moves within Canada. This tax break is not available to people who move to Canada from abroad.
x

Hi Judy, Does that apply if you are there on PR moving within Canada ?

SAW 04 Jul 24th 2008 1:07 pm

Yes, province to province

Originally Posted by Coffeepot (Post 6604851)
Hi Judy, Does that apply if you are there on PR moving within Canada ?

Coffeepot Jul 24th 2008 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by SAW 04 (Post 6605707)

Thanks Saw 04 thats interesting to know :thumbsup:

Biiiiink Jul 24th 2008 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Coffeepot (Post 6605730)
Thanks Saw 04 thats interesting to know :thumbsup:

We've just claimed ours on our returns :thumbup: Province to province - petrol, food, hotel bills, estate agent fees to sell, legal costs to buy, cost of actual removal... it all adds up to a fair whack, more expensive than our international move I reckon :eek:

Almost Canadian Jul 24th 2008 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by SAW 04 (Post 6605707)

It does not have to be from Province to Province. As long as the distance is at least 40km and other criteria are fulfilled, it can be claimed.

Check out here: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/t.../menu-eng.html

Biiiiink Jul 24th 2008 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 6605851)
It does not have to be from Province to Province. As long as the distance is at least 40km and other criteria are fulfilled, it can be claimed.

Check out here: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/t.../menu-eng.html

I know some members here managed to claim their international move, whilst others thought that was a mistake and fluke that their claim was accepted by CRA...

OP, you can try - they can only say no. Keep all receipts, ours were asked for. Glad they were though, we'd diddled ourselves 2.5k on estate agent fees on our return by not reading his bill properly the first time :eek:

Coffeepot Jul 24th 2008 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Biiiiink (Post 6605843)
We've just claimed ours on our returns :thumbup: Province to province - petrol, food, hotel bills, estate agent fees to sell, legal costs to buy, cost of actual removal... it all adds up to a fair whack, more expensive than our international move I reckon :eek:

Thanks Biiiiink :thumbsup: didn't realise it covered all that :thumbsup:

Originally Posted by Biiiiink (Post 6605909)
I know some members here managed to claim their international move, whilst others thought that was a mistake and fluke that their claim was accepted by CRA...

OP, you can try - they can only say no. Keep all receipts, ours were asked for. Glad they were though, we'd diddled ourselves 2.5k on estate agent fees on our return by not reading his bill properly the first time :eek:

Wonder how many have managed to claim international moves ?

Steve_P Jul 24th 2008 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Biiiiink (Post 6605909)

According to the link Almost Canadian provided it would appear that you can claim moving expenses for an international move.

Under the "Answer a few questions" you come to a page titled "Can you claim moving expenses?". On that page there are some statements to choose if they apply to you, one of which is "You are an employee or a self-employed individual who moved to a new work location to or from Canada or between two locations outside Canada." (My emphasis.)

If that move was more than 40 kilometres (I think the UK is further than that.;)) then you can claim moving expenses.

All that would lead me to believe it can be done.

JonboyE Jul 24th 2008 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_P (Post 6606273)
According to the link Almost Canadian provided it would appear that you can claim moving expenses for an international move.

Under the "Answer a few questions" you come to a page titled "Can you claim moving expenses?". On that page there are some statements to choose if they apply to you, one of which is "You are an employee or a self-employed individual who moved to a new work location to or from Canada or between two locations outside Canada." (My emphasis.)

If that move was more than 40 kilometres (I think the UK is further than that.;)) then you can claim moving expenses.

All that would lead me to believe it can be done.

I am not sure which page you are quoting from. On this page it says:

Generally, your move must be from one place in Canada to another place in Canada.

The Income Tax Act gives the exceptions to the word "generally" as military, diplomatic and some inter-company transfers where a tax resident of Canada is required to move to or from Canada as part of their duties. Implicit is that the taxpayer is resident in Canada for tax purposes before and after the international move.

AmyDavid Jul 24th 2008 4:37 pm

Does this also apply for people on TWP's?

JonboyE Jul 24th 2008 4:42 pm

I have found the page now. Note that it says:

You have told us:

You are an employee or a self-employed individual and a deemed or factual resident who moved to a new work location to or from Canada or between two locations outside Canada (and the move was from one place where you ordinarily resided to live in another place where you will reside).

I think that tax residency is the issue here. These are the circumstances where you can claim moving expenses to/from Canada or for two places outside Canada. You must be a:

Factual resident
You are a factual resident if you keep significant residential ties in
Canada while living or travelling outside the country. For
information, see Interpretation Bulletin IT-221, Determination of an
Individual's Residence Status, or Pamphlet T4131, Canadian
Residents Abroad

or a

Deemed resident of Canada
You are a deemed resident if, at any time in the year, you live
outside Canada, you do not keep residential ties here, and you are:
* a government employee;
* a member of the Canadian Forces;
* a member of the Canadian Forces overseas school staff; or
* a person working under a Canadian International Development
Agency program.

You cannot claim a moving expense deduction for a move from the UK when you arrive as a PR or on a TWP.

JonboyE Jul 24th 2008 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by AmyDavid (Post 6606451)
Does this also apply for people on TWP's?

For your move from BC to NS then yes, as long as you or your OH is working in NS. For a move to Canada then no.

AmyDavid Jul 24th 2008 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 6606493)
For your move from BC to NS then yes, as long as you or your OH is working in NS. For a move to Canada then no.

Fabulous!