Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

a recent Pearson experience

a recent Pearson experience

Old Sep 7th 2023, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: a recent Pearson experience

Originally Posted by I am I said
Under 'who is eligible' for Nexus on the site, it says:
>> U.S. and Canadian citizens and permanent residents may apply for a NEXUS membership.
All good here.

But the website introduces residency as a requirement under 'What you need before you start'
>> Proof of residency

Sorry for the amateur google-fu, but is Nexus only for those who live in the US and Canada?
My amateur googling found a couple of places which said non resident citizens aren’t eligible and ‘you must have lived continuously in the US or Canada, whichever is relevant, for at least three years’.
We got our cards in January and I know we had to provide some documentation, although I can’t remember exactly what, which presumably helped prove this.
Old Sep 7th 2023, 10:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Another trick for queue avoidance at YYZ is to wave an Amex card, there's some sort of deal for cardholders to skip standing around.
Old Sep 15th 2023, 12:59 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I, for my sins, have a flight from Pearson today. The airline advises being at the airport "at least 5 hours before the flight. There are queues. Something, something, covid".
Old Sep 15th 2023, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

I am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond repute

After my 75 minute - late BA flight landed at LHR yesterday, it turned out the one person who knows how to operate the air bridge was on holiday, or something. 30 minutes later, with threats to use those wheeled stairs [except they were in use on another plane], and a few other messages, someone found the manual and got the air bridge connected. I was through border control and customs as quickly as I could walk [those lovely machines]. So, it can be done. Sort of.
Old Sep 26th 2023, 12:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

The Toronto airport is unchanged. The customs arrrangement continues to present the most extreme example of the use of technology to make life worse I have yet encountered.

There used to be system whereby the airlines carried and gave out customs cards to be completed on the plane. There was alway a scramble for pens in bags in overhead bins but, once on the ground, one could present the card for inspection, get a red stripe through it and proceed to the baggage claim. Now there are machines in the arrivals hall which one can use to type in the intormation and print it on a thin slip of paper. There aren't enough machines, they're slow and many are broken so there are people there to hand out the cards that used to be available before landing. The pen scramble is displaced from many planes to one crowded hall. None of the staff at the airport speaks English good and many of the travellers don't speak English at all so there are chaotic scenes while the staff bully people who try to point out that they can't use the broken machines. The consequence of the introduction of the machines has been larger crowds, slower throughput and increased tension.

We all know, of course, that the baggage hall is set up to cause the maximum upset and frustration. Everyone has had their card or slip of paper marked as ok so they put in a deep pocket of their bag and go on thier way. When they get to the exit there's someone there demanding to see the card so they have to stop right in the middle of the exit door to fish the paper out. Other people push past or climb over them, it's like a rush to the lifeboats only there's a slow witted fat guy on the gangplank.

Experienced users of the airport know that the card will, illogically, be required. Their hands are full of luggage so they put the card in their mouth something that's less effective with the machine paper as it tends to come apart when wet. The card collectors get bent out of shape at having to handle other people's spit all day. I've no sympathy, the system has been like this since before they signed up as spit splatterees and, since it's their system that cause the chaos, they could change it for a better one like they have in, well, ****ing everywhere.

Last edited by dbd33; Sep 26th 2023 at 12:19 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2023, 9:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
The Toronto airport is unchanged. The customs arrrangement continues to present the most extreme example of the use of technology to make life worse I have yet encountered.

There used to be system whereby the airlines carried and gave out customs cards to be completed on the plane. There was alway a scramble for pens in bags in overhead bins but, once on the ground, one could present the card for inspection, get a red stripe through it and proceed to the baggage claim. Now there are machines in the arrivals hall which one can use to type in the intormation and print it on a thin slip of paper. There aren't enough machines, they're slow and many are broken so there are people there to hand out the cards that used to be available before landing. The pen scramble is displaced from many planes to one crowded hall. None of the staff at the airport speaks English good and many of the travellers don't speak English at all so there are chaotic scenes while the staff bully people who try to point out that they can't use the broken machines. The consequence of the introduction of the machines has been larger crowds, slower throughput and increased tension.

We all know, of course, that the baggage hall is set up to cause the maximum upset and frustration. Everyone has had their card or slip of paper marked as ok so they put in a deep pocket of their bag and go on thier way. When they get to the exit there's someone there demanding to see the card so they have to stop right in the middle of the exit door to fish the paper out. Other people push past or climb over them, it's like a rush to the lifeboats only there's a slow witted fat guy on the gangplank.

Experienced users of the airport know that the card will, illogically, be required. Their hands are full of luggage so they put the card in their mouth something that's less effective with the machine paper as it tends to come apart when wet. The card collectors get bent out of shape at having to handle other people's spit all day. I've no sympathy, the system has been like this since before they signed up as spit splatterees and, since it's their system that cause the chaos, they could change it for a better one like they have in, well, ****ing everywhere.
Are they at least using a different flavour of card since they did away with the declaration cards? I had the unfortunate task of experiencing Pearson at the beginning of April. Now I have a NEXUS card but elected not to use it as I was with my 84 year old mother who of course is still a PR and travelling on her UK passport. For some reason the kiosks did not want to recognize my Canadian passport so spat out a ticket with a code on it basically saying Go see an officer. So now get into another line and hopefully they have enough officers working the inspection lines for those who need to see an officer. Eventually saw one explained the kiosks are better at my Airport to which she nodded in the affirmative and then it was off to see the officer at the exit.

As I have explained many times I do not appreciate being handed any type of card that has been in anyones gob and full of mouth secretions. I have no idea who you are or what you have been doing with that gob before giving me the card even if I am wearing latex gloves. Fortunately I no longer work at the Airport so don't have to put up with that crap anymore but I do feel your pain as the kiosks always seem to be going down or not working as they should be. It is just not CBSA who is to blame for that shit show in International arrivals.

Who thinks it is a good idea to have multiple large wide body aircrafts all arriving within minutes of each other and then unloading them into areas not big enough. As you noticed travellers are not always alert and have no idea what to do on arrival. At least you cant say the staff at the airport are not multi cultural and speak a variety of languages except English.
Will anything improve well it's not gotten any better over the last 20 years so why think it will. Yes you can look to other countries as to how they process passengers but they have problems as well. Put it this way Heathrow is not a model implementation as I went through that shit show in March. Granted the E gates accepted my Canadian passport but how often are they down and staff shortages.

Flying sucks these days period.
Old Oct 7th 2023, 4:06 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Arriving at Pearson from San Francisco early Friday morning and found the Canada was closed. Well, at least as far as CBSA were concerned. Following the signs for connections we found ourselves waiting around in a corridor by a locked grate for 5 minutes until CBSA decided to start work for the day. It would seem fairly reasonable to align CBSA shift patterns with, you kno, when planes actually arrive, but apparently not.

Old Oct 11th 2023, 2:11 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Pearson is a shambles.

I flew out last Wednesday to Blighty and their whole luggage system broke down. I had to wait for my luggage to follow me out the next day.

Returned to Pearson today and was subjected to a line up to leave the airport. This was after customs and collecting luggage.

The signage from the Terminal to the UP Express is also terrible.

I can't stand the place. It gets worse every time I fly.
Old Oct 11th 2023, 12:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by JamesM

The signage from the Terminal to the UP Express is also terrible.
Ah yes, and there's an obvious mistake in not labelling Union Station as "Downtown". There are always people looking at the map and wondering where Toronto is. I think it's just parochialism though, there's probably no harm in the people who run the airport, it's just that they haven't been anywhere.
Old Oct 12th 2023, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

I am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond repute

any suggestions for apps or other tactics to streamline my upcoming journey through Pearson? I am a Canadian citizen/passport holder, but not resident in Canada.

Any value to trying to use that small bank of card issuing machines that one passes on the trek from the air bridge to the main collection of machines? Suggestions welcome [sadly, it's too late for 'don't fly into Pearson']
Old Oct 12th 2023, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

The camera pans up to show multiple flight delays at Toronto Pearson a... | TikTok
Old Oct 12th 2023, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

any suggestions for apps or other tactics to streamline my upcoming journey through Pearson? I am a Canadian citizen/passport holder, but not resident in Canada.

Any value to trying to use that small bank of card issuing machines that one passes on the trek from the air bridge to the main collection of machines? Suggestions welcome [sadly, it's too late for 'don't fly into Pearson']
Fill in the ArriveCAN app with your customs declaration in advance - up to 72 hours before planned arrival, I think. Saves a bit of time at the machines.
Old Oct 12th 2023, 12:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I do use those machines but it's a gamble. Often the machines in the main hall are broken and they hand out the cardboard landing cards. If you have a pen to hand the cardboard is quicker and easier than the machines so that's the best route. Also, that's a small bank so it's not uncommon for every machine to be taken up by someone who doesn't understand what to do, and has to wait to be bullied in that strange Indianish they speak at the airport. The way people are treated, I do wonder if Priti Patel or Suella Braverman moonlights as the Toronto airport security administrator.

I don't know how ArriveCan helps, I used it during covid but still got sent to write on the cardboard/use the machine.
Old Oct 12th 2023, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

I’ve used ArriveCAN 4 or 5 times since the beginning of last year, and it’s worked every time and saved me time. Seems like a no brainer - you fill it in before you leave - if it works, you’ve saved time. If for some reason it doesn’t, you’re in the same situation as you’d have been in anyway 🤷🏻‍♂️
Old Oct 12th 2023, 3:29 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

The one positive I had thanks to Nexus was when we landed I didn't have to fill in anything.

I just walked up to an electronic gate and tapped. It printed off a piece of paper and that was that. As seamless as Heathrow in that regard.

It was surprisingly impressive by Pearson standards.

The hour wait for luggage and 15 minute wait to give someone said piece of paper quickly got Pearson back to its usual standard.

Nothing will speed you up if you have luggage to check.

Last edited by JamesM; Oct 12th 2023 at 3:31 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.