Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Reasons we moved / are moving out of Canada

Reasons we moved / are moving out of Canada

Old Jun 17th 2018, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reasons we moved / are moving out of Canada

Originally Posted by getoutofbritainquick
Unfortunately I think we live in the same very, very low end town. I am not sure the new leader is much better. Just look at his own riding. It just doesn't get any lower than this place. I didn't truly know what a thiefdom looked like to I moved here, run by a megalomaniac mayor with quite a history and his developer buddies (and I am sure you know who they are) including the Premier. Our property tax has gone up 50% in the past 3 years and we don't get a lot of services included which other municipalities do. The municipality is a dictatorship - run by the few for the few. Look at who gets most of the contracts? The mayor has many of his businesses in the municipality, the council voted for their families to sit on committees, his own company runs the garbage (don't say there is competition because his company is the only company which services West Hills) which we have to pay separately, sewage is not included and going up 500% over 5 years to pay for the massive unsustainable ugly developments. CRD water has gone up 40% over the past 4 years and the highways are jammed solid thanks to massive development and no infrastructure improvements. Schools and hospitals are overcrowded. Just to add insult to injury the Energy Minister just ordered Hydro to move the power line by the rugby club for one of the Mayors vanity projects at tax payers expense and for your information that is against policy for obvious reasons. Thats a good way of keeping Hydro rates low. But hey anything goes in this 19th century town. We cant wait to get out of this awful place. I thought the last Premier was bad but this one is no different.

I should clarify that I did NOT mean John Horgan ....... I meant the new leader of the Liberal party.

I had not realised that what I had posted was misleading.

The new Liberal Party leader lives in one of the most expensive areas of Vancouver, was a Rhodes scholar, has both legal and medical degrees, and despite what he professes about being raised in a "normal" family and practising medicine "up north", has very little true appreciation of how "normal" people live because he hasn't lived that life for many years.

He hasn't yet produced a good valid idea for solving a problem, just lots of denigration of what the NDP suggest.

I have a lot of time for Horgan and the NDP. I'm frightened that Andrew Wilkinson will be Christy Clark version 2.

Almost all the problems that you see in BC now have developed or worsened during the 16 years that the Liberals were in power from 2001 to 2017, and Christy was in the government for all but about 4 years of that time.

BTW ........ I have no idea of who your mayor is or of his policies, etc etc ......... I know only about metro Vancouver.
Old Jun 18th 2018, 5:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
I should clarify that I did NOT mean John Horgan ....... I meant the new leader of the Liberal party.

I had not realised that what I had posted was misleading.

The new Liberal Party leader lives in one of the most expensive areas of Vancouver, was a Rhodes scholar, has both legal and medical degrees, and despite what he professes about being raised in a "normal" family and practising medicine "up north", has very little true appreciation of how "normal" people live because he hasn't lived that life for many years.

He hasn't yet produced a good valid idea for solving a problem, just lots of denigration of what the NDP suggest.

I have a lot of time for Horgan and the NDP. I'm frightened that Andrew Wilkinson will be Christy Clark version 2.

Almost all the problems that you see in BC now have developed or worsened during the 16 years that the Liberals were in power from 2001 to 2017, and Christy was in the government for all but about 4 years of that time.

BTW ........ I have no idea of who your mayor is or of his policies, etc etc ......... I know only about metro Vancouver.

The liberal leader's riding is the 2nd wealthiest in BC, only West Vancouver-Capilano is wealthier.

I personally benefit from several things the NDP have done since last year, so I can't complain about Horgan.
Old Jun 20th 2018, 1:39 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Only reason I would move back is for 3 bottles of kingfisher beer for £5 at Tesco!

joking aside, I just recently returned from a mini ‘vacation’ there and I was surprised at how much cheaper a lot of things were (not everything) but a lot more then before.
Old Jun 20th 2018, 4:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Only reason I would move back is for 3 bottles of kingfisher beer for £5 at Tesco!

joking aside, I just recently returned from a mini ‘vacation’ there and I was surprised at how much cheaper a lot of things were (not everything) but a lot more then before.
It's the same when I go back to California. Nearly everything is cheaper vs Canada sometimes considerably so. I bought an item in January there that was 34.99 same exact item in the same chain of store (Home Depot) was 84.99 in Canada.

Most grocery items are cheaper there, a dollar goes further for sure.

For booze a 1.5 liter of vodka there is the same price as the small bottle here.

And Canadian made beer and liquor is cheaper there as well.
Old Jun 20th 2018, 5:11 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Still I can't find a decent raisin bran muffin in England for love nor money.
Old Jun 20th 2018, 5:36 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Still I can't find a decent raisin bran muffin in England for love nor money.
Canada and their obsession with putting raisins in all manner of foods!

Old Jun 20th 2018, 5:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133
Thumbs down Re: Reasons we moved / are moving out of Canada

Same here.....

Best mate and me bought 10 bottles of beer pick and mix ales with 3 bottles of Cider for his Mrs for 17 quid in Asda. Would probably cost $60 - 70 here in No Funswick.

I was in 'spoons in Warrington.....every ale on the bar 1.99. Pint of anything worth drinking here $8-9 plus vulture fee.
Old Jun 20th 2018, 5:50 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

For booze a 1.5 liter of vodka there is the same price as the small bottle here.

And Canadian made beer and liquor is cheaper there as well.
Booze is taxed to the hills here
Old Jun 20th 2018, 5:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

At least you can see them. Its the sweet bread and milk that does my head in!!
Old Jun 20th 2018, 6:29 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

I share that same affliction with Canada I'm afraid.
Old Jun 20th 2018, 7:18 pm
Account Closed

Booze is taxed to the hills here
Sure is. I rarely buy it here as 1) Its taxed like crazy so is pricey and 2) Having to go more or less to dedicated liquor store vs just picking some up while grocery shopping since all major grocery stores in California sell alcohol as does 7/11, and most corner stores.....

If politicians tried to tax booze in California at the rate its taxed here, the voters would revolt and reverse it. Cigarette taxes are tolerated though.
Old Jun 20th 2018, 10:43 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Sure is. I rarely buy it here as 1) Its taxed like crazy so is pricey and 2) Having to go more or less to dedicated liquor store vs just picking some up while grocery shopping since all major grocery stores in California sell alcohol as does 7/11, and most corner stores.....

If politicians tried to tax booze in California at the rate its taxed here, the voters would revolt and reverse it. Cigarette taxes are tolerated though.
but then we have healthcare.
And not too many drunks to trip over.
Old Jun 21st 2018, 11:33 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
And not too many drunks to trip over.

Is the rate of alcoholism in the US lower than that in Canada? I'd be surprised if that were true though it's not a statistic one can easily obtain. Here, of course, use of meth and ground pills is routine, I see that every week, if not every day.Perhaps some of the poor toothless wretches dying at the kerb would have a better quality of life if they could afford a nice bottle of Thunderbird.
Old Jun 21st 2018, 10:33 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dbd33
Is the rate of alcoholism in the US lower than that in Canada? I'd be surprised if that were true though it's not a statistic one can easily obtain. Here, of course, use of meth and ground pills is routine, I see that every week, if not every day.Perhaps some of the poor toothless wretches dying at the kerb would have a better quality of life if they could afford a nice bottle of Thunderbird.
I could not find much on rate of alcoholism, however I found this. Canada seems to on a per capita basis drink more when compared to the US, but not by much.

https://www.macleans.ca/society/cana...e-says-report/
Old Jun 21st 2018, 11:32 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
z
I meant the other way round. More drunks where it's easier to buy booze. In Ontario it's easier to find shoes hanging from the wires than an LCBO. As you very probably know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.