Realtors ...

Old Nov 28th 2012, 6:38 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Realtors ...

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't think that's incompetence. A person phones, the business is shown, another person phones, the business is shown again. On it goes until one of them buys it.
The realtor who already has 20 likely buyers in his contact book is the one you want, not someone sitting waiting for the phone to ring after posting a few low res pictures on the MLS listings.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 6:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that's incompetence. A person phones, the business is shown, another person phones, the business is shown again. On it goes until one of them buys it.
Quite. We recently had over 60 viewings of our perfectly normal middle of the road house.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 6:39 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Even if it's a $250,000 house, people will arrive when they feel like it. They'll come back multiple times, have inspections, dither, decide not to buy or be declined for financing. It all seems time consuming to me.
Exactly. You can hardly dictate to the prospective buyer how often they visit, or how much engagement they need to make their mind up.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 6:40 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I have to admit to not understanding this logic at all. Do you believe that you will be able to draft or pay a lawyer to draft the purchase contract for less than the realtor will charge you when purchasing ($0.00).

Argue that it is silly not to use one when selling, but to argue that it is silly to use one when buying is bizarre.

How do you anticipate obtaining access to the property that is listed? You will likely have to use the listing realtor, who will then be able to overhear all the discussions you have with your OH.
I think the misconception here is that the selling agent will be happy to knock a few grand off the price in order to keep the whole of the commision to themselves.

If you are interested in the house at the asking price they know that a few grand wont be a deal breaker I suspect.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 6:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
The realtor who already has 20 likely buyers in his contact book is the one you want, not someone sitting waiting for the phone to ring after posting a few low res pictures on the MLS listings.
The agent gets the listing, phones the 20 people, all 20 want to see it (!) They all choose different days and times. What's the agent to do? Break it to the sellers gently that they'll be cleaning it 20 times, that's what.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 6:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
I think the misconception here is that the selling agent will be happy to knock a few grand off the price in order to keep the whole of the commision to themselves.

If you are interested in the house at the asking price they know that a few grand wont be a deal breaker I suspect.
It's not the selling agent's decision though, it's the vendor's.

I cannot begin to imagine how much of a PITA it would be to have to call up every listing agent and schedule viewings with them on the day of the viewings. That alone would be worth paying nothing to the realtor one uses to purchase the house.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 6:47 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to admit to not understanding this logic at all. Do you believe that you will be able to draft or pay a lawyer to draft the purchase contract for less than the realtor will charge you when purchasing ($0.00).

Argue that it is silly not to use one when selling, but to argue that it is silly to use one when buying is bizarre.

How do you anticipate obtaining access to the property that is listed? You will likely have to use the listing realtor, who will then be able to overhear all the discussions you have with your OH.

Do I believe I can draft (or have a lawyer do it) a purchase contract for less than zero? How am I supposed to answer that question?

I never said it was silly not to use one when selling. I never mentioned selling. I may or may not use a realtor when selling- I'll review my options if/when the time comes.

How would I obtain access to a property? I'd call the listing agent...
Old Nov 28th 2012, 6:52 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
Do I believe I can draft (or have a lawyer do it) a purchase contract for less than zero? How am I supposed to answer that question?

I never said it was silly not to use one when selling. I never mentioned selling. I may or may not use a realtor when selling- I'll review my options if/when the time comes.

And if you buy the house and don't have your own agent the listing agent gets to keep both the buyer's and seller's commissions.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 8:06 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Of course, I love spending unnecessarily. It's not a matter of being cheap - it was a half day exercise showing the property and business to anyone that was seriously interested. Perhaps your time isn't so valuable that you could afford that sort of commitment whenever called upon.
Huh? $35K for a half day exercise. Can I be your realtor

Originally Posted by R I C H
Yes, I do. He showed the property over 40 times during an 18mth period. Handled half a dozen inspections, and business audits, canvassed potential buyers at various industry related events in 3 provinces and ultimately got a sale.

Could I have found the time to do all that myself? Absolutely not. Would I have had the business contacts or experience to handle what he did? Nope.
Now, I think I get it, you're not talking a simple house sale, you're talking a business. That's a little differnet.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 8:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I suggest "Yes" or "no" or something like "Why bother, I can do it myself".

The point is that you said you would not use one when purchasing. You do not pay commission to a realtor when purchasing so, in essence, the purchase costs you nothing insofar as your realtor's commission is concerned (I accept that it is possible to argue that the amount you pay for the property includes commission).

As you won't be using a realtor for "free" do you believe you will be able to secure the services of a lawyer or another to draft the contract for "free" or will you have a bash yourself? That was the question.

I suggest you review what I wrote. I never suggested that you would not use one when selling.

That is what I suggested below. As I also stated, I can only imagine that it would be a real PITA to have to schedule lots of viewings in a single day. Fine if you only have one property to view, not so fine if you have multiple properties to view. Of course, you would then have the listing realtor behind you at all times.

Each to their own, I just find not using a realtor to buy a strange decision. I understand why some people don't want to use one when selling.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 8:18 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

As you won't be using a realtor for "free" do you believe you will be able to secure the services of a lawyer or another to draft the contract for "free" or will you have a bash yourself? That was the question.
It's not that hard, I've done it twice.

That is what I suggested below. As I also stated, I can only imagine that it would be a real PITA to have to schedule lots of viewings in a single day. Fine if you only have one property to view, not so fine if you have multiple properties to view. Of course, you would then have the listing realtor behind you at all times.
Again, it's not that hard or that time consuming.

Each to their own, I just find not using a realtor to buy a strange decision. I understand why some people don't want to use one when selling.
'cus you can negotiate the fees that would normally go to the buying agent. I've split that percentage with the selling agent and they are then more motivated to take your offer.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 8:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Hawk13
It's not that hard, I've done it twice.
I have seen enough go wrong that I disagree with you, actually, it is quite difficult.

Again, it's not that hard or that time consuming.
That depends upon how valuable your time is. Don't forget, the realtor costs you zero.

'cus you can negotiate the fees that would normally go to the buying agent. I've split that percentage with the selling agent and they are then more motivated to take your offer.
I suspect that this is location dependant and, again, it is not the realtor's decision, but that of the vendor.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Quite. We recently had over 60 viewings of our perfectly normal middle of the road house.
Just out of interest which way do you think the market in Calgary is heading? Did you get many offers out of the 60 viewings?
Old Nov 28th 2012, 8:39 pm
Up Your Kilt

I have seen enough go wrong that I disagree with you, actually, it is quite difficult.
That's the lawyer in you talking

That depends upon how valuable your time is. Don't forget, the realtor costs you zero.
True, but you could be getting a better deal by not using one.

I suspect that this is location dependant and, again, it is not the realtor's decision, but that of the vendor.
And who do you think that advises the vendor on what the best deal is - the realtor.

Like you said - to each their own. Like I said - I've done it twice and it's not that time consuming or hard for the money you save.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jimf
Just out of interest which way do you think the market in Calgary is heading? Did you get many offers out of the 60 viewings?
We did. That was because we wanted a very quick sale and I was happy to have it listed quite a bit below our competitors. I believe it was probably listed at market value -5% and most of our competitors were at market +10%

We listed in early October (IIRC) and had it sold within a month. Our realtor was of the view that the time of year we listed was good to weed out those that were "just looking" and was of the view that those that were viewing were serious about buying. Another advantage was that lots took their properties off the market in the lead up to Christmas.

We actually had a specific acreage in mind when we listed our property but, unfortunately, it was leased for 6 months half a day or so before we finalized our acceptance of the offer.

In direct answer to your question, I suspect the market will continue to rise very slowly. I know that the received wisdom is that spring of next year will see a large increase, I just don't see that.

We bought almost at the top of the market in early 2007, which continued to rise throughout 2007 until it went down. We sold our property for $6,000 more than we paid for it so, over 5 years, lost money on it once commissions are taken into account.

Our new property is outside of the City and, as I have no intention of ever leaving it, I really don't care what the market does.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.