Realtors ...

Old Nov 28th 2012, 5:27 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Realtors ...

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Now, this is one of the biggest issues I have with realtors. You can pass the exams, but you are still not allowed to be your own realtor. It also has to be your job; which means that individuals can't pass the exams and represent themselves for a 4% discount. This is blatant protectionism.
I don't necessarily disagree with you but this is the way governments have decided to regulate the business in North America. Realtors are primarily sales people but they have an important legal and fiduciary relationship with their clients. Real estate brokers maintain client’s trust funds and manage the transactions. The brokerage’s trust accounts are regularly audited, either by the Real Estate Council of British Columbia (or wherever) or by independent accountants. To me, the system of having realtors attached to a brokerage is valuable in protecting the public’s interest.

Of course, it is possible to elevate realtors from the quasi professionals they are now to full professionals. They could then manage their own offices and trust funds the same way as, for example, lawyers do. Although I have a higher opinion of realtors than most on here I am not convinced this is a step in the right direction.

I also understand why you cannot be a part-time realtor. Everybody thinks it is money for old rope. Evidence = this thread, and a gazillion others. It isn’t. The concern is that people will give up too easily when a transaction gets difficult if they have other sources of income. A full-time realtor will be more motivated to see the transaction through to their client’s satisfaction.

It is a slightly tenuous argument and I don’t doubt there is an element of protectionism.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 5:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I also understand why you cannot be a part-time realtor.
In BC maybe. Here I believe it to be common to be a reator and a salesperson for something else; when I bought the last car the salesman pestered me to also buy a house. I know people who computer consult in the day and sell houses at night. My neighbour at the farm was a part time estate agent and, now that I think of it, one of the better known agents for equine properties advertises that she knows her stuff because her primary business is horse breeding. Real estate sales is, I suspect, a more popular second job than bar tending.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 5:51 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I keep forgetting to be province specific. I seem to remember the realtor from Manitoba who used to post here said it as full-time only there as well. Obviously not everywhere.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 6:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I keep forgetting to be province specific. I seem to remember the realtor from Manitoba who used to post here said it as full-time only there as well. Obviously not everywhere.
It could be that the Real Estate Board here "requires" agents to be full time but looks the other way.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 6:19 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawk13
Well, if you're spending that kind of coin on a realtor, you have coin to spare.

I'm too cheap.
Of course, I love spending unnecessarily. It's not a matter of being cheap - it was a half day exercise showing the property and business to anyone that was seriously interested. Perhaps your time isn't so valuable that you could afford that sort of commitment whenever called upon.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 6:20 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

I cant praise our realtor enough, and I recommend him to everyone in our area who is looking for one.
Having said that, when I see what he earned on our house purchase, it almost brings to me to tears. I would never suggest that he didn't work hard for us, but I cannot equate what he did to how much he earned.

Realtor's will argue that they have to share the fee with the other realtor, but that's not a valid argument. In fact, it only annoys me further...

Next time, we'll probably buy without the aid of a realtor, but I would agree with all the other recommendations about renting for a year or so first.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 6:23 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by R I C H
Of course, I love spending unnecessarily. It's not a matter of being cheap - it was a half day exercise showing the property and business to anyone that was seriously interested. Perhaps your time isn't so valuable that you could afford that sort of commitment whenever called upon.
You think your realtor deserved the $30k (or whatever it was)?
A half day of his time- lets be generous and say he charges $300 an hour. We're looking at $1000 max.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 6:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by jericho
A half day of his time
What if 20 people wanted to see the business? What if they all wanted an inspection arranged and an audit?
Old Nov 28th 2012, 6:30 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dbd33
What if 20 people wanted to see the business? What if they all wanted an inspection arranged and an audit?
Yes, what if?
Is the realtor so incompetent so as to arrange 20 different appointments on 20 different days?
Old Nov 28th 2012, 6:33 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

You think your realtor deserved the $30k (or whatever it was)?
A half day of his time- lets be generous and say he charges $300 an hour. We're looking at $1000 max.
Yes, I do. He showed the property over 40 times during an 18mth period. Handled half a dozen inspections, and business audits, canvassed potential buyers at various industry related events in 3 provinces and ultimately got a sale.

Could I have found the time to do all that myself? Absolutely not. Would I have had the business contacts or experience to handle what he did? Nope.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 6:35 pm
Pea Brain

Yes, what if?
Is the realtor so incompetent so as to arrange 20 different appointments on 20 different days?
That's not a sensible argument to make. How can he find 20 potential buyers with several million $ to spend, willing to attend and view a property on a single given day, and assume they'd all be happy to share his time and answer their questions all at once?

I think it's reasonable to assume anyone investing that sort of money into a business will want a slightly more personal service than an offer of a group tour with potentially competitive bidders.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 6:35 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair to realtors there are a lot here in Ontario who make next to nothing.

The ones that do well and have the rewards to show for it are undoubtedly the ones who are good at their job. Sell a lot of homes for top dollar and you deserve to be rewarded.

In a word of mouth business happy customers are the best way to grow the business, and I dont doubt that at first its very hard for newcomers to break into the business.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 6:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Yes, what if?
I don't think that's incompetence. A person phones, the business is shown, another person phones, the business is shown again. On it goes until one of them buys it.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Next time, we'll probably buy without the aid of a realtor, but I would agree with all the other recommendations about renting for a year or so first.
I have to admit to not understanding this logic at all. Do you believe that you will be able to draft or pay a lawyer to draft the purchase contract for less than the realtor will charge you when purchasing ($0.00).

Argue that it is silly not to use one when selling, but to argue that it is silly to use one when buying is bizarre.

How do you anticipate obtaining access to the property that is listed? You will likely have to use the listing realtor, who will then be able to overhear all the discussions you have with your OH.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 6:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by R I C H
That's not a sensible argument to make. How can he find 20 potential buyers with several million $ to spend, willing to attend and view a property on a single given day, and assume they'd all be happy to share his time and answer their questions all at once?
Even if it's a $250,000 house, people will arrive when they feel like it. They'll come back multiple times, have inspections, dither, decide not to buy or be declined for financing. It all seems time consuming to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.