Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Real life Brit friends in Canada ?

View Poll Results: How many RL Brit friends do you have in Canada ?
None
22.09%
15.12%
2-5
46.51%
6-12
16.28%
Too many
0%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Real life Brit friends in Canada ?

Old Feb 22nd 2013, 3:45 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Real life Brit friends in Canada ?

Originally Posted by Shard
The interesting stat in this poll is that 20% (currently 12 of 55) have no Brit friends in Canadian real life whatsoever. True assimilators! Either than or they live in the back of beyond.
Back end of beyond in my case. I had loads of Brit friends in Oakville. I've been in Gatineau since 2004 and have only met one Brit here. That was in 2004 and she was my son's English teacher. There are Brits around but I think they all live in the Aylmer sector of the city. I don't ever go there.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

sarahloo is on a distinguished road

i live in ottawa and only know of one other brit i guess it doesnt help as i work from home and dont get to meet many people perhaps things need to change
Old Feb 24th 2013, 9:03 pm
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarahloo
i live in ottawa and only know of one other brit i guess it doesnt help as i work from home and dont get to meet many people perhaps things need to change
There are Brits here in Ottawa, but less than I would have expected given the size of the city and the job opportunities/low unemployment.

Have the impression that many of those that do move here prefer to live out where they can get more house for their money.

I've probably met 10-15 Brits in the last five years here. None in the public service so far though; assume I'm not the only Brit in there, but maybe the language/citizenship requirements put lots off.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 9:59 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lemonfish
There are Brits here in Ottawa, but less than I would have expected given the size of the city and the job opportunities/low unemployment.

Have the impression that many of those that do move here prefer to live out where they can get more house for their money.

I've probably met 10-15 Brits in the last five years here. None in the public service so far though; assume I'm not the only Brit in there, but maybe the language/citizenship requirements put lots off.
What are the job opportunities in Ottawa?
Old Feb 25th 2013, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

sarahloo is on a distinguished road

Yes i can understand that not many of us like the french part of the language .Where abouts in ottawa are you im in kanata
Old Mar 1st 2013, 3:21 am
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

What are the job opportunities in Ottawa?
Quite a bit of federal government, some high tech, a bunch of other things related to being the nation's capital such as national associations, national chapters of charities, work in the two universities, the hospitals plus all the usual things you get with a medium size city such as local government, hotels, hospitality etc.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 3:22 am
Soulless bureaucrat

Originally Posted by sarahloo
Yes i can understand that not many of us like the french part of the language .Where abouts in ottawa are you im in kanata
I'm downtown more or less, in the Glebe area
Old Mar 1st 2013, 8:14 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Quite a bit of federal government, some high tech, a bunch of other things related to being the nation's capital such as national associations, national chapters of charities, work in the two universities, the hospitals plus all the usual things you get with a medium size city such as local government, hotels, hospitality etc.
Thanks. What is the employment market like, are many of these organisations looking to employ? I would imagine that it's not that different from other Canadian cities or is Ottawa in some kind of tight labour market?
Old Sep 13th 2013, 3:28 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

How many real life British friends do you have in Canada? Friends, neighbours, colleagues, family. Consider a household as one friend. Define friend as someone you might go to the pub with or have over for a drink.

doesn't exist does it - yes I took the poll

How many do you have?

Last edited by not2old; Sep 13th 2013 at 4:09 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2013, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawk13
Roundabouts. Designed a few of these and ran the open house seminars to explain how they work (not rocket science but you know...).

You do get quite an interesting array of questions on how they work and reasons why they won't work.

http://cardinalcreek.org/2011/11/tri...lic-meeting/#1

http://www.stephenblais.ca/en/news/i...om-four-to-two

I attended some of these meetings and never have I seen such fear mongering. I was embarassed to admit to knowing some of the main naysayers in this fiasco.

The Town of Mississippi Mills (Almonte) has a phamphlet in the Town Hall entryway that tells you how to go around the new roundbouts that were built.
Old Sep 13th 2013, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

AllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of light

Improve is the operative word here. It depends what that means. The emphasis of an egalitarian culture, the enormous multiculturalism, the relatively high standard of living all do encourage a certain complacency.
I think its all about "Lessons Learned" here - doesn't mean to say anyone actually learned anything or will do things differently in future.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 3:49 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

The last time I was on a roundabout must be 30 or more years ago in Saskatoon. There is one in Penticton I didn't know about, but luckily I saw it in time and was able to turn down a side street and go around it.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 6:54 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really have any English friends here. More through accident than design though.

My half brother (discovered after I moved here) lives about an hour and a half away as well, but I wouldn't say that we were especially close.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 6:55 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pretty Flowers
I don't really have any English friends here. More through accident than design though.

My half brother (discovered after I moved here) lives about an hour and a half away as well, but I wouldn't say that we were especially close.
I say in Canada that's considered fairly close.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 5:13 pm
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

2 - 5 too many.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.