Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

real estate prices in Canada sustainable?

real estate prices in Canada sustainable?

Old Jul 14th 2022, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: real estate prices in Canada sustainable?

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I have to admit that I fail to see how many of the NDP's policies would help a 35 year old GTA resident, earning $90,000 obtain a house in the GTA. I accept that many vote against their own interests in the belief that they will be rich at some point in the future.
I think this is purely a question about supply and demand.

Cheap money, low interest rates push demand up, together with more people entering the market and the workforce, and if supply is limited, than prices go up. And then there is commercial lending for construction companies. Thus finance controls so to speak the market or has a strong influence on it.

Affordability issues with housing usually occur in countries where the financial industry is strong.

The NDP has little options. Sure, one can tax 2nd homes for out of town owners, or something like that or flipping homes just for profit, it makes the market a bit fairer, but doesn't solve the affordability issue.

Now, if the era of cheap money is over, but also at the same time, less and less gets built, it may mean a correction of the market, things going slower, but not a huge drop in prices.
Old Sep 3rd 2022, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

kinolo is an unknown quantity at this point

Prices dropping in Vancouver a little. It's noticeable looking at the 'Sold For' prices on Redfin. If they go back to pre-pandemic levels (unlikely, but one can dream!) then I may finally buy somewhere.
Old Sep 3rd 2022, 9:19 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kinolo
Prices dropping in Vancouver a little. It's noticeable looking at the 'Sold For' prices on Redfin. If they go back to pre-pandemic levels (unlikely, but one can dream!) then I may finally buy somewhere.
Down 16% in 5 months in the GTA.

All pandemic gains will be wiped out.

There are more rate rises coming and it takes 4 to 6 quarters before rate rises are truly felt.

Those who believe the Canadian housing market has the fundamentals to sustain the ridiculous prices we once had had the ridiculous growth are in for an awakening.

You won't see the prices of February 2022 again for at least half a decade.

If you want to buy then the end of next year will be a good time.
Old Sep 7th 2022, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Down 16% in 5 months in the GTA.

All pandemic gains will be wiped out.

There are more rate rises coming and it takes 4 to 6 quarters before rate rises are truly felt.

Those who believe the Canadian housing market has the fundamentals to sustain the ridiculous prices we once had had the ridiculous growth are in for an awakening.

You won't see the prices of February 2022 again for at least half a decade.

If you want to buy then the end of next year will be a good time.
Not sure about that. I bought my house for $850k, similar homes around here are still selling for $1.2 million. Not sure were are ever going back to that without a major increase in supply, which doesn't seem to be happening.
Old Sep 7th 2022, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

kinolo is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you meant you think at the end of this year or the end of 2023? I do think that places like Langley which had massive gains during the pandemic will see the largest falls. Not too sure about metro Vancouver though.
Old Sep 8th 2022, 12:08 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Not sure about that. I bought my house for $850k, similar homes around here are still selling for $1.2 million. Not sure were are ever going back to that without a major increase in supply, which doesn't seem to be happening.
Your house will be at $850k by the end of next year regardless of your biases, denial and tint in your rose glasses.

Reduced demand and less affordability will see to that.

The supply myth is agent poppy cock and FOMO. Nothing more.

The interest rate rises are here to stay and property market corrections in Canada are long and painful.

Last edited by JamesM; Sep 8th 2022 at 12:14 am.
Old Sep 8th 2022, 7:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Your house will be at $850k by the end of next year regardless of your biases, denial and tint in your rose glasses.

The interest rate rises are here to stay and property market corrections in Canada are long and painful.
You could be right and I thought the same, but these days I'm actually sceptical and anything can happen. You just need a million refugees in the next 2 years and although interest rates will increase, the 4 bed house will just house 4 families rather than 1 family.
https://www.gatewayvisasolution.com/...0three%20years!
Old Sep 8th 2022, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty sure it's fundamentally rooted in how highly we restrict new construction, at least in BC. The ALR, Zoning, NIMBYism and so on. High interest rates aren't going to fix neighbourhoods locked in amber and as such they will become harder to buy into over time.

In cities with fewer restrictions like Calgary and Edmonton, we see much better housing affordability, regardless of interest rates.

I personally have nothing against prices falling, I don't plan on selling any time soon. I just genuinely don't think we are doing enough to make housing affordable. The supply issue is meant as more of a call to action than something I am trying to propagate. I want my kids to be able to afford their own homes.

Time will tell.
Old Sep 9th 2022, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Pretty sure it's fundamentally rooted in how highly we restrict new construction, at least in BC. The ALR, Zoning, NIMBYism and so on. High interest rates aren't going to fix neighbourhoods locked in amber and as such they will become harder to buy into over time.

In cities with fewer restrictions like Calgary and Edmonton, we see much better housing affordability, regardless of interest rates.

I personally have nothing against prices falling, I don't plan on selling any time soon. I just genuinely don't think we are doing enough to make housing affordable. The supply issue is meant as more of a call to action than something I am trying to propagate. I want my kids to be able to afford their own homes.

Time will tell.
And the idea that more supply will reduce prices doesn't seem to work, unless you build the right type of property. When you build apartment blocks with 1 or 2 beds and little outside space then the value of other properties (houses, larger apartments) goes up as they are more desirable.

Last edited by Moses2013; Sep 9th 2022 at 10:16 am.
Old Sep 9th 2022, 8:27 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by Moses2013
And the idea that more supply will reduce prices doesn't seem to work, unless you build the right type of property. When you build apartment blocks with 1 or 2 beds and little outside space then the value of other properties (houses, larger apartments) goes up as they are more desirable.
Affordability is how much people can spend.

If one person has a dollar and a house is ten dollars they can't buy the house unless the price drops. If ten more people turn up with a dollar none of them can buy the house either unless the price drops.

The assumption that the house will continue to go up when no one can afford it is again more realtor FOMO.

Supply, Immigration, no land....poppy cock.

The driver behind house prices for the last decade was low interest rates.
Old Sep 9th 2022, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Affordability is how much people can spend.

If one person has a dollar and a house is ten dollars they can't buy the house unless the price drops. If ten more people turn up with a dollar none of them can buy the house either unless the price drops.

The assumption that the house will continue to go up when no one can afford it is again more realtor FOMO.

Supply, Immigration, no land....poppy cock.

The driver behind house prices for the last decade was low interest rates.
The assumption If one person has a dollar and a house is ten dollars they can't buy the house unless the price drops isn't correct either. You just have to look around now and more larger families put their money together, so while each person only has a dollar, ten have 10 dollars. Then there are other examples like the Miri family in Germany and you have more than 10.000 family members. In Canada this is starting and in one way it's a bit like new clans appearing (not crime though)
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/40-of-vancouve...ests-1.5812376
Old Sep 9th 2022, 11:50 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by Moses2013
The assumption If one person has a dollar and a house is ten dollars they can't buy the house unless the price drops isn't correct either. You just have to look around now and more larger families put their money together, so while each person only has a dollar, ten have 10 dollars. Then there are other examples like the Miri family in Germany and you have more than 10.000 family members. In Canada this is starting and in one way it's a bit like new clans appearing (not crime though)
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/40-of-vancouve...ests-1.5812376
Larger families are smart enough to wait the market and it's decline out now. No one wants to buy something that is losing money every month.
Old Sep 10th 2022, 5:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Larger families are smart enough to wait the market and it's decline out now. No one wants to buy something that is losing money every month.
It's easy for you and me who bought properties when prices were at an all time low, unfortunately many families don't have a choice. If you can't even get a rental you either risk becoming homeless or take what you can get. I agree that prices will drop in some parts be it Canada or globally, but there's just too many people and enough money out there.
Old Sep 16th 2022, 12:08 am
Dive Bar Drunk

Prices down for a 6th consecutive month and this is the CREA with their vested interest and positive spin:
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...estate-august/

Wait until the market fully absorbs the interest rate rises which takes 4 to 6 quarters.

We'll also see 5%+ policy interest rate from BOC next year.

It's going to be an all out blood bath in another 6 months.

Last edited by JamesM; Sep 16th 2022 at 12:12 am.
Old Sep 16th 2022, 2:00 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

It's going to be an all out blood bath in another 6 months.
Time to trade up then, expensive properties fall harder than cheap ones. Perhaps a place with an indoor and a pool.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.