Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

real estate prices in Canada sustainable?

real estate prices in Canada sustainable?

Old Oct 27th 2021, 6:01 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: real estate prices in Canada sustainable?

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Vancouver #1 least affordable housing market in North America.

"A typical Canadian home costs 35 per cent more than the borrowing capacity of median income households."

"Vancouver also saw its affordability worsen the most out of all North American housing markets. Montreal was second worst, followed by Toronto. Ottawa was the fourth worst, while Hamilton rounded out the top five."

I don't know what is going on in Boise, Idaho, but I would never have guessed it would be on the list of the least affordable, actually doing worse than Toronto, wtf is going on in Boise. Vegas is interesting as well, it was traditionally where people in California moved to get affordable housing, but seems those days are gone now, same with Portland, the domino effect, people move from California due to housing affordability, and that in turn make those city's less affordable.

Boise !!!
Old Oct 27th 2021, 7:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I see. Yes it was a rough calculation. Sometimes they can borrow 4x (5X in the past) or they might have some equity or get some preferential terms from a developer. Perhaps take in roomate. The broader point was $1MN on 60K wasn't the right comparison as most entry level are looking at more modest accomodation and combined income. I think my first flat purchase in London was 102% debt, thanks Barclays Visa.

It's much tougher for this generation, I totally appreciate that. Especially Vancouver / Toronto.
Well, whether you can't afford $1,000,000 or can't afford $600,000, the problem is the same. Suppose people can borrow, and are willing to borrow, 4x joint income

2x60=120
4x120=480
Gap=120

I don't think most people can save an amount equal to their gross income. It could be that the $60k is low. If not then, in contrast with many posters on this thread, I think there's a housing problem.
Old Oct 28th 2021, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Mordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond repute

Half of 25 to 35 year olds own their homes

https://globalnews.ca/news/7662252/c...tate-pandemic/
Old Oct 28th 2021, 4:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mordko

And a few days ago the bank of mom and dad was reported as giving lots of money so their children could buy a home, so question is how many of the 48% in that 25 to 35 group who own got help from mom and dad?

If I got 6 figure gift from my parents, I could buy too.

Old Oct 28th 2021, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Mordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond repute

It was reported that 30% of first time buyers got help from parents and the average amount was $82k.
Old Oct 28th 2021, 4:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Boise !!!

It's apparently a popular destination for Californians looking for lower cost of living, and demand is exceeding supply and so prices obviously being pushed up.

The domino effect, same thing has happened in Phoenix, Portland, parts of Colorado, Las Vegas, as one place gets expensive, people start moving outward pushing up prices further and further away.

Austin used to be an affordable city, but becoming the Silicon Valley of Texas, has pushed housing up, but it's still more affordable than California's silicon valley for tech workers.

Old Oct 28th 2021, 4:26 am
Account Closed

It was reported that 30% of first time buyers got help from parents and the average amount was $82k.

It was quite a lot higher than 82,000 in Vancouver though.

"According to a new report by CIBC Capital Markets, over the first nine months of 2021, first-time homebuyers in Vancouver received an average of $180,000. This figure increases even more for parents supporting their children buying larger homes, with the average for move-uppers at $340,000."

Yes only 23% of first time home buyers in Vancouver received help from parents, BC as a whole, 30% of first time home buyers, but it's clear even people selling and moving up to a bigger house are still getting help from mom and dad.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vanc...arents-gifting

Old Oct 28th 2021, 11:54 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

You didn't answer, do you, or did you, work for Ontario Hydro? I wonder because that's a cushy government job and would be consistent with your championing of the compassion-less free market for everyone else.
Old Oct 28th 2021, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Its kinda none of your business but I did not. I never had a government job. Did jobs for government companies as a contractor, yes.

In general, its better to deal with the argument rather than the person. I am not a fan of the theory that anti-market countries like Venezuela, Cuba and N Korea are full of compassion.

Last edited by Mordko; Oct 28th 2021 at 12:28 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2021, 12:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

In general, its better to deal with the argument rather than the person.
Ha! I'll bear that in mind.
Old Oct 28th 2021, 2:56 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Good article. It validates and supports that there is no shortage of housing but that the market is driven only by demand triggered by low interest rates and speculation/opportunism. A hint of realism from someone in the market although as always no risks mentioned.

My only advisory here is that these real estate association and people from within the interest always talk up the market- for their own reasons- not too dissimilar to the non-impartial banking content that gets shared here. A bank economist whilst looking at many variables will only share the favourable ones in public. Those who evaluate the risk in banks will see something very different.

Old Oct 28th 2021, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JamesM
Good article. It validates and supports that there is no shortage of housing but that the market is driven only by demand triggered by low interest rates and speculation/opportunism. A hint of realism from someone in the market although as always no risks mentioned.

My only advisory here is that these real estate association and people from within the interest always talk up the market- for their own reasons- not too dissimilar to the non-impartial banking content that gets shared here. A bank economist whilst looking at many variables will only share the favourable ones in public. Those who evaluate the risk in banks will see something very different.
Thanks for the advisory. Sorry took me a while to figure it out. To sum it up, here is all one needs to know about housing:

1. Plenty of supply.
2. The market is driven by speculative demand which is satisfied thanks to 1.
3. Very shortly house prices will crash. Why? See items 1 and 2.
4. The unlucky people who own houses will be sorry. See item 3. What will happen to poor sods with multiple properties? Does not bear thinking.
5. Lucky people without houses will be the envy of those referred to in 4.
6. Advisory: whatever you do, never ever pay attention to people who know anything about the subject.

Many thanks!
Old Oct 28th 2021, 10:46 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dbd33
You didn't answer, do you, or did you, work for Ontario Hydro? I wonder because that's a cushy government job and would be consistent with your championing of the compassion-less free market for everyone else.

BC Hydro pays pretty well too, they keep electricity rates low compared to just about anywhere in North America, so I don't have a problem with them paying well, did try a few times to get a job with them since they do pay well.
Old Oct 29th 2021, 10:03 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Going up to 35, that's kind of expected isn't it? If it were 20-30 it would be a more striking statistic.
Old Oct 29th 2021, 10:06 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
It's apparently a popular destination for Californians looking for lower cost of living, and demand is exceeding supply and so prices obviously being pushed up.

The domino effect, same thing has happened in Phoenix, Portland, parts of Colorado, Las Vegas, as one place gets expensive, people start moving outward pushing up prices further and further away.

Austin used to be an affordable city, but becoming the Silicon Valley of Texas, has pushed housing up, but it's still more affordable than California's silicon valley for tech workers.
I can imagine trading California for Texas, but California for Idaho ?! Well, I guess it's still in the West and if it's that much more affordable maybe makes sense.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.