Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

real estate prices in Canada sustainable?

real estate prices in Canada sustainable?

Old Apr 23rd 2021, 4:09 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: real estate prices in Canada sustainable?

Originally Posted by dbd33
The relevance of the UK is that most people posting here have the option to be there or here. There's no point in considering the price of houses in Sydney or Tokyo or Bora Bora because most of us don't have work permits for those places. We do have the option of working in the UK if that's where the money is. It's silly to think only of Canada if you have the paperwork to be able to have broader horizons.

And, now that I think, there are caravans in Hamilton. I remember going to a caravan park in Hamilton with the Newfie upstairs in the middle of the night when his stash ran out. He had a Camaro Z28 which I drove. The place was full of construction workers sleeping in a heap. Same in Barrie, same in Mount Forest.
I've lived in hamilton for 20 years and I have never seen nor heard of a caravan park here (or 'Trailer Park' as they are known in Canada)... it was probably an old RV that they parked up in a field.

The price of houses in the UK are not relevant if you are living in CANADA... and not everyone on BE comes from the UK - and most don't intend or wish to return there to live.

Perhaps you could start comparing prices in CANADA.. which is what is relevant to the majority of our members... and the subject of this thread.
Old Apr 23rd 2021, 11:00 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I've lived in hamilton for 20 years and I have never seen nor heard of a caravan park here (or 'Trailer Park' as they are known in Canada)... it was probably an old RV that they parked up in a field.

The price of houses in the UK are not relevant if you are living in CANADA... and not everyone on BE comes from the UK - and most don't intend or wish to return there to live.

Perhaps you could start comparing prices in CANADA.. which is what is relevant to the majority of our members... and the subject of this thread.
If you want to limit the discussion to a direct response to the thread title then, yes, the current level of house prices in Canada is easily sustainable. We know this because houses sell as fast as they are built. At some level of higher interest rates the current price level will not be sustainable and prices will fall.

I'm going past a caravan park in Guelph today, people live there year round. Maybe 100 caravans, parking for several cars at each one. I've always assumed the occupants to be itinerant construction workers but maybe that's where low income workers who work in Hamilton live. Such places are common enough, the one in question was up a "mountain" that wasn't really a mountain.

Old Apr 23rd 2021, 1:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Off topic posts about house prices in the UK (not Canada)

The relevance of the UK is that most people posting here have the option to be there or here. There's no point in considering the price of houses in Sydney or Tokyo or Bora Bora because most of us don't have work permits for those places. We do have the option of working in the UK if that's where the money is. It's silly to think only of Canada if you have the paperwork to be able to have broader horizons.

And, now that I think, there are caravans in Hamilton. I remember going to a caravan park in Hamilton with the Newfie upstairs in the middle of the night when his stash ran out. He had a Camaro Z28 which I drove. The place was full of construction workers sleeping in a heap. Same in Barrie, same in Mount Forest.
I think you are right and nothing wrong by keeping all options open, including UK. I must admit that I was also a person who wasn't always positive about the UK and we couldn't afford much in Kent, but then again I could have probably also lived in parts of Cornwall, Devon, Wales etc. and would have been happy if the timing was right. Most people who end up unhappy are always focused on one place and never broaden their horizons. How often do we see people wanting to move to Australia seeking a life in the sun and if they can't get a visa end up miserable, or are willing to invest their life savings in a business that was set up to fail.
Old Apr 23rd 2021, 1:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I think you are right and nothing wrong by keeping all options open, including UK. I must admit that I was also a person who wasn't always positive about the UK and we couldn't afford much in Kent, but then again I could have probably also lived in parts of Cornwall, Devon, Wales etc. and would have been happy if the timing was right. Most people who end up unhappy are always focused on one place and never broaden their horizons. How often do we see people wanting to move to Australia seeking a life in the sun and if they can't get a visa end up miserable, or are willing to invest their life savings in a business that was set up to fail.
Shutting down young people's options is, perhaps, the worst of the Brexit crimes. So many opportunities binned.
Old Apr 23rd 2021, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Shutting down young people's options is, perhaps, the worst of the Brexit crimes. So many opportunities binned.
Of course. Luckily In Ireland myself and already had an EU passport through parents, so obviously we don't notice it here. Then again many young British have already moved here and will continue to have all opportunities once they qualify for citizenship.
Old Apr 23rd 2021, 3:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

One upside to high rents and high housing costs, it's forcing the government to build more social housing as more and more tent city's pop up.

Old Apr 23rd 2021, 7:18 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie

That's odd. There is a whole section in the forum on immigrating to Canada and most of the people looking to move here seem to be from the UK. Of those lots will have houses to sell and will look to re-invest when they come here.

It's not even close to thread drift.
Old Apr 23rd 2021, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

DMajor is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JamesM
That's odd. There is a whole section in the forum on immigrating to Canada and most of the people looking to move here seem to be from the UK. Of those lots will have houses to sell and will look to re-invest when they come here.

It's not even close to thread drift.
Agree, we knew what we could afford to buy here as it was dependent on how much we got for our UK property.
Old Apr 23rd 2021, 11:32 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Moved..Off topic posts.. House prices in other Countries (not Canada)

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Of course. Luckily In Ireland myself and already had an EU passport through parents, so obviously we don't notice it here. Then again many young British have already moved here and will continue to have all opportunities once they qualify for citizenship.
I saw something that showed Ireland now has the 3rd highest GDP in the world. Why would people want to leave?
Old Apr 24th 2021, 8:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Default re: Moved..Off topic posts.. House prices in other Countries (not Canada)

Originally Posted by JamesM
I saw something that showed Ireland now has the 3rd highest GDP in the world. Why would people want to leave?
You are right but I suppose GDP alone doesn't necessarily mean people are better off. For us Ireland works well and when we came 10 years ago houses were so cheap and we can afford a lot more than back in the UK and Germany before that. The other thing is that a lot of Irish might not value the things we appreciate here. We don't have kids but as an example our neighbours and Irish in general have many kids and to have 3 or 4 is not unusual. Child care is expensive here and when they look to a country like Germany, they might think it's better there. Ironically most of our friends in Germany can't afford to have more than 1 or 2 kids and wouldn't want more. Obviously it's all down to location/preferences, because what we paid for our house near Galway and a holiday home near the Costa Brava is what people in Dublin pay for a small apartment.

Last edited by Moses2013; Apr 24th 2021 at 8:46 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2021, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Another great interview from FORMAFIST, this time with a Vancouver Island city planner, Mark Holland. Hits the nail on the head with the problems in the housing market and real estate.

Old Apr 26th 2021, 12:46 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Not like North Vancouver is much cheaper these days though or even Surrey or Langley.

I was curious, 500,000 to 1 million in North Vancouver just 1 listing, some sort of boat house.
There is nothing special about North Van. You have two ridiculously high traffic bridges to cross compared to 3 bridges and a tunnel to get to Surrey/Fraser Valley - I know what I would choose even with a endless amount of money!
Old Apr 26th 2021, 1:43 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

One of the key reasons for the overheated property market in the UK is the Buy To Let "industry". Huge swathes of the population have decided to become "rentiers" and have made it difficult for younger people, or people with modest means, to compete with them by driving up prices. It's a parasitical industry which has been actively encouraged by governments who are frightened of alienating the greedy elements of their voters.

It is changing,mercifully, but not by nearly enough. Private tenants should enjoy the same right to buy at a discount as council tenants. That would stop the BTL industry with one stroke.
Old Apr 26th 2021, 2:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty

It is changing,mercifully, but not by nearly enough. Private tenants should enjoy the same right to buy at a discount as council tenants. That would stop the BTL industry with one stroke.
Surely council tenants should not have a right to buy at a discount. That was a one time gift to new tories achieved at the expense of the depleting the country's needed stock of social housing.
Old Apr 26th 2021, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
One of the key reasons for the overheated property market in the UK is the Buy To Let "industry". Huge swathes of the population have decided to become "rentiers" and have made it difficult for younger people, or people with modest means, to compete with them by driving up prices. It's a parasitical industry which has been actively encouraged by governments who are frightened of alienating the greedy elements of their voters.

Then again at least in the UK renting seems to be more affordable for those who want to rent. In Ireland we have the problem that only a few people want to become "rentiers" so without landlords there are no rental properties. With fewer incentives the rental prices go up and a few investors control the market.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.