Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Rare diseases and cost of medications

Rare diseases and cost of medications

Old Dec 3rd 2017, 11:28 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rare diseases and cost of medications

Originally Posted by MarkG
1. We're getting closer to viable rejuvenation technologies every day. We already have the healthiest, longest-live mice in history in research labs, and some of those treatments are soon to be tested on humans.

2. In twenty years, you won't be lying in the hospital bed doing nothing, because they'll plug you into a VR machine to keep you occupied.
But in the real world, my children's generation will die before their parents. Our lifestyles are literally killing us. No amount of machines can cope with people not heeding medical advice.
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 11:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
But in the real world, my children's generation will die before their parents. Our lifestyles are literally killing us. No amount of machines can cope with people not heeding medical advice.
When people have to work 2 or more jobs, spend most of their day working, there isn't much time to exercise or eat balanced meals at home, have to eat on the go, this is for whatever reason what society seems to want.

Downside is as you say, people dying earlier then previous generations.
Old Dec 4th 2017, 12:17 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
When people have to work 2 or more jobs, spend most of their day working, there isn't much time to exercise or eat balanced meals at home, have to eat on the go, this is for whatever reason what society seems to want.

Downside is as you say, people dying earlier then previous generations.
Fruit and veg can be eaten on the go. I work too, we prepare healthy cheap meals the night before so for instance tomorrow I will go from work, to picking up kids in different places, to activities, to my exercise and dinner will be ready to go.

Honestly if you have time to be on expats then you have time to exercise.
Old Dec 4th 2017, 2:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Fruit and veg can be eaten on the go. I work too, we prepare healthy cheap meals the night before so for instance tomorrow I will go from work, to picking up kids in different places, to activities, to my exercise and dinner will be ready to go.

I get exercise at work. Most of my posting is done during downtime at work, not at home, and I work 12noon to 12:30am, so I don't exactly have much time awake at home....

This month I have today off, then the 12th off, 18th off, and 24th off. Other then the 25th when I work 4:30am to 1:30pm, the other shifts are the 12 to 12:30.

My day when I work, up at 9:30am, eat breakfast, shower, out the door at 10:30, arrive at work by 11:45. Off at 12:30am, home at 1:30-1:45am, bed by 2:30am, rinse and repeat. I really don't see much time in there to exercise and prepare meals and grocery shop.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Dec 4th 2017 at 4:12 am.
Old Dec 5th 2017, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cxx
But can everyone afford to live for a very long time?
If you're 80 years old with the body of a 20 year old, you can keep working as long as there are jobs to do.
Old Dec 5th 2017, 12:08 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
If you're 80 years old with the body of a 20 year old....
You are likely a millionaire. It's what attracted the younger one to you.
Old Dec 5th 2017, 4:00 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

This sound very self righteous.

What are these cheap healthy meals? The on the go cheap fruit and veg? Carrots and bananas and?
Old Dec 5th 2017, 4:56 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
This sound very self righteous.
What are these cheap healthy meals? The on the go cheap fruit and veg? Carrots and bananas and?
The problem with money is that it's only a problem when you don't have enough of it, then you've to be careful otherwise you can be as frugal as you like. As a student in 1971, a group of us ate well for a pound a week each and we did this by buying cheap good food and cooking together.

A few onions, potatoes, peas and carrots with ground meat and a few herbs, a few tomatoes or beans if you're flush and you have a stew, curry or whatever for at least three days for an outlay of less than $10 and much cheaper if you limit the meat. Not self righteous at all simply sensible.

Buy coffee at Timmies and processed or fast food during the day and your hard earned simply dribbles away without even noticing.
Old Dec 5th 2017, 5:42 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
Buy coffee at Timmies and processed or fast food during the day and your hard earned simply dribbles away without even noticing.
Yes, but I'm fairly sure those are not Jsmth's habits.
Old Dec 5th 2017, 5:59 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Yes, but I'm fairly sure those are not Jsmth's habits.
I might be losing my marbles but I don't remember saying that it was....
Old Dec 5th 2017, 6:07 pm
Oscar nominated

I might be losing my marbles but I don't remember saying that it was....
It's okay, I just found them.

It was Jsmth's comment that began the subject saying it wasn't easy for the reasons he gave, Bats felt the suggestion in response (addressing him spending time on BE) was a bit self righteous and you said it wasn't.

If it were a general discussion, fair enough, but it was pretty specific.
Old Dec 5th 2017, 6:47 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with money is that it's only a problem when you don't have enough of it, then you've to be careful otherwise you can be as frugal as you like. As a student in 1971, a group of us ate well for a pound a week each and we did this by buying cheap good food and cooking together.

A few onions, potatoes, peas and carrots with ground meat and a few herbs, a few tomatoes or beans if you're flush and you have a stew, curry or whatever for at least three days for an outlay of less than $10 and much cheaper if you limit the meat. Not self righteous at all simply sensible.

A few days? $10? How much does ground beef cost where you are?
Old Dec 5th 2017, 7:51 pm
Listen to the Music

Originally Posted by BristolUK
If it were a general discussion, fair enough, but it was pretty specific.
I think you're being a little picky here. Most discussions evolve into generalisations. The point being made is that wholesome, home cooked food can be made quite cheaply and it needn't take much time.

I don't remember mentioning beef and I do remember stating you can limit the quantity of meat. Ground pork is cheaper if you feel that meat's needed.
Old Dec 5th 2017, 9:54 pm
Oscar nominated

I think you're being a little picky here.
Perhaps
Most discussions evolve into generalisations. ...
But this one - rare diseases and cost of meds - started as general and evolved into specifics
Old Dec 5th 2017, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

We're on our third day of some stew we made from beef, veggies and tomato soup (we just wanted something simple to make from the Campbell's Soup cookbook). Don't have the receipt handy, but I don't think it cost more than $20 for two.

Of course, that's only dinner, so we still have the cost of breakfast and lunch on top.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.