Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Feb 10th 2017, 11:27 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I'm on strike today.

So fed up of the kitchen sink getting cluttered with dishes, pots and pans etc. Today it was impossible to get a small jug under the tap to add water to the Keurig.

It's supposed to be my stepson's job but he always makes it into a major chore when 10 minutes after supper would clear the sink and draining rack and allow additional stuff to be added to the dishwasher until it's full for another run.

So earlier on I said I was going on strike and not doing supper tonight.

So stepson emptied the sink and stepdaughter later asked what was for supper. They thought that meant I had called off the strike.

"How long are you on strike?"

I said 24 hours and then tomorrow I'm working to rule.

They've been scrabbling around for what to do. There's even a pot of spud and carrots ready prepared from yesterday to make a mash. There's fish, chickenburgers, sausages, other veggies, all sorts of stuff they could use to make a meal. Even tins.

Mother in law has just sent stepson out for McDonalds.
I'm having a salad.

Hopefully I've made my point.
In a slightly different area of industrial relations, HID went on strike once. Apparently, to avoid further conflict, it was insisted that any bargaining arrangements had to take place in the Holt Renfrew department store.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 1:07 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
In a slightly different area of industrial relations, HID went on strike once. Apparently, to avoid further conflict, it was insisted that any bargaining arrangements had to take place in the Holt Renfrew department store.
I'm guessing I'm not the only one who needs that explaining?
Old Feb 10th 2017, 2:27 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I'm guessing I'm not the only one who needs that explaining?
She stopped certain activities that I argued were essential services.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 5:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Coquihalla Highway closed again with drivers stranded | Globalnews.ca

Highway 1 Boston Bar to Yale is also closed with people stranded.

Must suck to get stuck in this cold when the highways close, even with supplies there are no toilet facilities unless you luck out and get stuck near the rest areas.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 10:33 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Coquihalla Highway closed again with drivers stranded | Globalnews.ca

Highway 1 Boston Bar to Yale is also closed with people stranded.

Must suck to get stuck in this cold when the highways close, even with supplies there are no toilet facilities unless you luck out and get stuck near the rest areas.
When that happened years ago my sister and her husband were stranded in Boston Bar for about 4 days, supplies were being airlifted in by helicopter.
Old Feb 11th 2017, 7:39 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I got up this morning and the sink had accumulated no dishes or pans at all.

How long will it last?
Old Feb 11th 2017, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

How long will it last?
For as long as you're on strike or about to
Old Feb 11th 2017, 7:49 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Oink
She stopped certain activities that I argued were essential services.
Ah.

It was the Holt Renfrew reference that threw me. I didn't know what it was until I just googled.
Old Feb 11th 2017, 2:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Browsing through the latest Walmart flyer I was astonished to see battered cod (produced proudly in Great Britain) with Findus on the box.

I think I've only ever seen Blue Water, Hi-Liner or store brand fish like that. Certainly never Findus.
Bought a box today, never seen the brand before here. I was amused with the directions. "Ensure product is piping hot before serving." Never seen anything say piping hot before.

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Aren't all those brands (mostly) owned by the same parent company?

(Scuttles off to reread Walmart flyer)...
From what I could find and based on box of Blue Water fish.

Bluewater box says its a Subsidiary of Gorton's of Gloucester, MA which in turn is a subsidiary of Nippon Suisan Kaisha of Japan.

Highliner appears to be an independent company based in Nova Scotia.
Old Feb 11th 2017, 2:56 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Well this is good news..hopefully they won't do it again!

Fantastically dedicated people

New Zealand whales: Hundreds refloat on high tide at Farewell Spit - BBC News
Old Feb 11th 2017, 5:40 pm
Account Closed

A dam in California (Oroville) has spilled over its emergency spillway, first time this has ever happened, dam was completed in 1968.

Oroville Dam energency spillway in use for first time in dam history | The Sacramento Bee

Northern California is on track to having its wettest winter on record.
Old Feb 12th 2017, 1:23 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Well this is good news..hopefully they won't do it again!

Fantastically dedicated people

New Zealand whales: Hundreds refloat on high tide at Farewell Spit - BBC News
The human/whale alturism never fails to impress. Sad that so many whales died, but at least the good people of Kiwiland did their part to save as many as possible.
Old Feb 12th 2017, 4:14 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I was amused with the directions. "Ensure product is piping hot before serving."
Funny...I read that and thought nothing of it thinking it was perfectly normal.
Never seen anything say piping hot before.
Then I realised.
Originally Posted by Shard
...Sad that so many whales died...
Wales died yesterday, too.
Old Feb 12th 2017, 8:39 am
Account Closed

Not what you want your pilot to do on a flight your own, luckily she was prevented from actually flying anywhere and removed from the flight. (Its more then just calling 2 politicians liars.)

United Airlines pilot replaced after intercom rant calling Trump, Clinton liars - National | Globalnews.ca

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Feb 12th 2017 at 8:46 am.
Old Feb 12th 2017, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

How long will it last?
Originally Posted by Pica
For as long as you're on strike or about to
^^^ What Pica said.

Or alternatively, the "culprits" got takeout?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.