Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Dec 16th 2016, 11:43 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
How embarrassing

And I work.... clearly my patients should be getting more attention than they obviously do!
Old Dec 16th 2016, 11:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
How embarrassing

And I work.... clearly my patients should be getting more attention than they obviously do!
I posted a lot when I worked, but then my job was 8 hours long with only 1.5 hours of actual work....
Old Dec 16th 2016, 12:47 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Came across this website randomly today....BoardReader...
I've seen that a few times.
Every now and then I'm looking for an old thread and the search function on BE doesn't seem what it was before the last 'improvements' and I google an approximation of what I think the thread might be called and my BE name and others if I'm sure they posted and maybe words or expressions I think someone used. That Board Reader site often comes up instead.
Old Dec 16th 2016, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pica
Also in the news today- Bristol University lowering grade requirements for the "disadvantaged".
I was always under the impression that the point of universities was about the most intellectually able who have proved their ability. Lowering grades isn't going to do it-grants might help though!
Originally Posted by not2old
did you read all the nonsense how the lowering of a pass in A level one can get an A level with a 40% pass mark [E grade pass]

So, the disadvantaged can make a claim ....'look I have five A lelvels, all with 40-50% pass mark, so let me into the university course program'

A levels are A levels & I'm sure the A level certificate does not show the marks or grade

Bunch of dummies

Even worse is lowering the pass mark to 34% for higher maths

'Too hard' Higher Maths exam pass mark dropped to 34% - BBC News

still a bunch of dummies
Originally Posted by Souvy
b]They most certainly did. I still have my O-level and A-level certificates.[/b]

The parchment is a bit faded but the grades are there (not the marks, though).
Even back in the Dark Ages, an "E" grade at 'A' level WAS a pass. One of my uni entrance offers only required 2 "E"s. It wasn't Bristol .
Old Dec 17th 2016, 1:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Vancouver has spent a bit more then they budgeted for snow removal.

UPDATED: Snowfall warnings in effect for B.C. south coast - BC | Globalnews.ca
Old Dec 17th 2016, 1:26 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Vancouver has spent a bit more then they budgeted for snow removal.

UPDATED: Snowfall warnings in effect for B.C. south coast - BC | Globalnews.ca
I think that they can afford it
Old Dec 18th 2016, 1:01 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I've been in Vancouver a few times when they've had heavy snow and it's a problem because the system isn't prepared for it, not enough plows, sander/salter trucks etc. One time they had a lot of workers out on overtime all weekend just trying to keep the drains clear downtown so the streets didn't flood.
Old Dec 18th 2016, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
That rings true. I spent two years at a Grande Ecole (ESC Reims). The marking on exams was brutal.

One exam (statistics) lasted for three hours and the final answer was a number to a couple of decimal places. There were no points for the working. You either got 100% or zero.

Ditto a law exam that required you to cite a part of the Code Commercial. One missing comma was all it took for you to get zero points.

The profs were not gentle.

They only time they lost was when they tried to schedule an exam for the afternoon of Xmas Eve. None of us would have been able to get home for Xmas, so we rebelled. The Exam was rescheduled.
I went to school in Reims!
Old Dec 18th 2016, 6:15 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by caretaker
I've been in Vancouver a few times when they've had heavy snow and it's a problem because the system isn't prepared for it, not enough plows, sander/salter trucks etc. One time they had a lot of workers out on overtime all weekend just trying to keep the drains clear downtown so the streets didn't flood.
Just makes no real financial sense for city's in this area to invest in large amounts of equipment for snow removal, just doesn't snow enough to justify the cost.

Took Chilliwack about a week to clear the bulk of the city roads, the main roads were done within a day, the side roads longer, our road was done on day 4 after the last snow.

Lot's of over-time for city workers. Never did see any salt trucks, but I am sure they salted at least the main roads.
Old Dec 18th 2016, 9:14 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by DandNHill
I went to school in Reims!
My husband lost the car for 4 hours in Reims once.
Old Dec 18th 2016, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Many memories. My ex husband was from Reims. Lovely city.
Old Dec 18th 2016, 10:49 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

My ex husband was from Reims.
I can't help wondering if there's a connection.
Old Dec 18th 2016, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I mislaid ex & car keys for several hours in Rheims once upon a time. Seems there's a theme ...
Old Dec 19th 2016, 12:03 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Many memories. My ex husband was from Reims. Lovely city.
The centre is. The burbs, not so much (unless things have changed somewhat in the last 30 years).
Old Dec 19th 2016, 8:52 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Last Friday night was the first time I've closed down a bar in probably ten years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.