Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Dec 3rd 2020, 8:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

The street we live on has allowed parking the entire time this apartment complex has existed. This morning I watched the city crews put up no parking signs (permanent ones) from 7am to 9pm. Then around 1pm bylaw came around and gave tickets to everyone parked there, most of the cars were already there *before* the signs went up.

Seems to me if a city is going to turn a street to a no parking zone, they should have the courtesy to put up warnings, and not tickets for the first few days, so cars parked there before the signs went up, have a chance to move their cars.

Based on the lack of traffic, lack of commercial places and the entire street is residential, my guess is some neighbor in the area in a SFH is upset over the apartment buildings going in and complained to the city. Crummy thing is, like the trend in many BC city's each unit is only allowed 1 parking stall as even though there are 1, 2, 3 bedroom units here, apparently they figure everyone has just 1 car.

It doesn't affect us as we have a parking stall, and we didn't get a ticket, just seems shady the way the city did it.
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 10:44 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Will an albatross in flight fit in my lounge?
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 11:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Will an albatross in flight fit in my lounge?
What sort of albatross? Is it an African or European albatross and is it laden or unladen?
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 11:26 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
What sort of albatross? Is it an African or European albatross and is it laden or unladen?
Well, you have to know these things when you're king, y'know.
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 3:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Translink (metro Vancouver public transit) appears to have victim to a ransomware attack. Looks like someone clicked the link on a phishing email, I'd hate to be that employee.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7499986/t...tivity-update/
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 4:43 pm
`

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Originally Posted by BristolUK
Well, you have to know these things when you're king, y'know.
Ahem. A black and white unburdened antipodean albatross .
Old Dec 4th 2020, 4:32 am
Account Closed

I remember now why I stopped using Shopper's as my pharmacy years ago and went with small independent places.

Old Dec 4th 2020, 11:07 am
Account Closed

Why do they keep the accused so far from their lawyer in court in Canada? How does the accused and lawyer communicate if they are separated?

Old Dec 4th 2020, 1:58 pm
Account Closed

I dunno what it is about our area but it seems to be a cell phone twilight zone. Even with Telus now, connection issues, and its a different phone from the last so just must not be a strong cell phone signal area or something.
Old Dec 4th 2020, 3:42 pm
Account Closed

If you got money in this world, you will never run out of things to do.

This is cool too.

This is even cooler

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Dec 4th 2020 at 3:46 pm.
Old Dec 4th 2020, 5:35 pm
`

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
If you got money in this world, you will never run out of things to do.
J. Sometimes eh? We know many people with hardly a bean in the world & we know people with several beans. We do not have many beans at all to be honest.
We do not run out of things to do & that does not take money . People we know volunteer their free time to help their hobbies, just like that model railway and the like. They pool and share.
You could do that too if you wished.

I do realise you are in a bit of a cycle at the moment and no-one can help with that. If you were here I would take you to the group model railway fellas so you could help with that or help out at our local tiny animal park which has a teeny aquarium and the like but you are not here. Go and seek . Honestly . Please.
Old Dec 4th 2020, 6:35 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BEVS
J. Sometimes eh? We know many people with hardly a bean in the world & we know people with several beans. We do not have many beans at all to be honest.
We do not run out of things to do & that does not take money . People we know volunteer their free time to help their hobbies, just like that model railway and the like. They pool and share.
You could do that too if you wished.

I do realise you are in a bit of a cycle at the moment and no-one can help with that. If you were here I would take you to the group model railway fellas so you could help with that or help out at our local tiny animal park which has a teeny aquarium and the like but you are not here. Go and seek . Honestly . Please.

It's just the way BC is, it's too outdoor sports focused, remove the outdoor sports, and there isn't a whole lot to do in BC, too spread out and not enough people. It's also winter currently and so being outdoors is even less appealing...ha ha

When I lived in San Diego still, I had more to do, annual pass to the zoo was pretty cheap, a good way to spend 4-5 hours (although if you never been need closer to 7-8 hours to see everything.) I had an annual pass to birch aquarium, in Balboa Parks on Tuesday's each week certain museums were free of charge for local residents, so I did that pretty often since I was usually off on Tuesdays, I'd take a train ride up to Los Angeles and back a couple times a year, and do short flights to Phoenix, or Vegas, or San Francisco, usually there and back same day, I just did it to fly somewhere....not so much to visit, those city's just generally were inexpensive to fly to when you could catch a fare sale on Southwest.

Canada is a lot more expensive, and BC doesn't offer much once you remove the outdoor stuff, and skiing and snowboarding, and boating is all expensive as well, so really only free outdoor thing is walking around, which I do, but I'd like to be able to have some sort of hobby I enjoy and it frustrates me is all.

BC doesn't even have a legit zoo, there is a crappy zoo 40 minutes east of Vancouver but it ought to be shut down its so bad.
Old Dec 5th 2020, 3:39 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
It's just the way BC is, it's too outdoor sports focused, remove the outdoor sports, and there isn't a whole lot to do in BC, too spread out and not enough people. It's also winter currently and so being outdoors is even less appealing...ha ha

When I lived in San Diego still, I had more to do, annual pass to the zoo was pretty cheap, a good way to spend 4-5 hours (although if you never been need closer to 7-8 hours to see everything.) I had an annual pass to birch aquarium, in Balboa Parks on Tuesday's each week certain museums were free of charge for local residents, so I did that pretty often since I was usually off on Tuesdays, I'd take a train ride up to Los Angeles and back a couple times a year, and do short flights to Phoenix, or Vegas, or San Francisco, usually there and back same day, I just did it to fly somewhere....not so much to visit, those city's just generally were inexpensive to fly to when you could catch a fare sale on Southwest.

Canada is a lot more expensive, and BC doesn't offer much once you remove the outdoor stuff, and skiing and snowboarding, and boating is all expensive as well, so really only free outdoor thing is walking around, which I do, but I'd like to be able to have some sort of hobby I enjoy and it frustrates me is all.

BC doesn't even have a legit zoo, there is a crappy zoo 40 minutes east of Vancouver but it ought to be shut down its so bad.
If you like model railways there's a few around your area (not so much Kelowna, but towns either side)

Osoyoos Desert Model Railroad
https://peachlandhistory.ca/trains/
Miniature Model Railway - on the SS Sicamous, Penticton

Canadian Association of Railway Modellers - Hobby Shop Links
Old Dec 5th 2020, 7:18 am
Account Closed

One of my biggest fears about old age, being homeless.

Renters are a disadvantage since they don't own a home and thus an asset they can sell to finance old age.

I have no idea what the minimum CPP will be in 26 years, if it will be around in the same form even, but rents are likely to be considerably higher in 25+ years, and I don't have faith the government will be providing a realistic amount to seniors then as they don't now.

This man is 77 and lives in his truck, rent is too high in this area for most on senior fixed incomes. Senior homeless population has been growing in many areas of BC over the years, and likely will continue to rise with the rate rents are going in BC and Canada in general.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7501008/b...eFF3ZbbRkmGpfA
Old Dec 5th 2020, 6:11 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I've put my foot down this season and I refused to cook another naffing turkey, so I'm going to try a rib roast/prime rib with Yorkshire puddings and some proper horseradish condiment. I would have loved to have rolled this past my best friend because he'd of have amazing opinions, probably even known where to dig up fresh horseradish but alas he went and died which is rubbish.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.