Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old May 28th 2019, 3:32 pm
  #5866  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 0
scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

I wish I could have been a nurse or air traffic controller, something interesting and well paying.
scrubbedexpat091 is offline  
Old May 28th 2019, 4:14 pm
  #5867  
`
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 38,629
BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I wish I could have been a nurse or air traffic controller, something interesting and well paying.
Oh well m'love. Many of us wish this.

BEVS is offline  
Old May 29th 2019, 12:20 am
  #5868  
Oscar nominated
Thread Starter
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 52,268
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I wish I could have been a nurse or air traffic controller, something interesting and well paying.
I'm not being flippant Js...you just reminded me of something.

I never wanted to be a social security worker...I wanted to be...a...

Spoiler:

BristolUK is offline  
Old May 29th 2019, 1:13 am
  #5869  
Stand-up Philosopher
 
caretaker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Regina Saskatchewan
Posts: 16,344
caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I wish I could have been a nurse or air traffic controller, something interesting and well paying.
I only knew one air traffic controller, and he was a live wire. "When I say I'm going to do something, I DO IT!" "When I have an idea, I WRITE IT DOWN!" He was the president of our provincial darts federation and had the flair for organisation (I was going to say mind like a steel trap) and enough energy left over after work to set up and maintain (along with his wife) a province-wide league and competitions. I couldn't stand the pressure of working ATC; I'm sure of it. I considered taking the RPN course when I worked in the hospital as a psych orderly but didn't pursue it and soon found other interests. The RN's I know now regularly mention that they could work as much as they wanted, and are often asked to work overtime shifts, but they aren't physically or mentally able to do it every time they're asked. That illustrates that it can be a high pressure job and there is an on-going nursing shortage and their union here in Sask is in the news every time their contract comes up. I don't know if I could take the pressure of being a nurse, either. There are jobs that pay better than others, there are jobs I can do and jobs I can't do, and jobs I wouldn't want to do. A wrong turn or 2 made when I was young might have kept me from becoming rich and famous (or even secure) by default, but I'll never know for sure and I've managed to have some great experiences and meet a lot of people along the way anyway. I wanted to be a train conductor, a game warden, a photo-journalist, the list goes on and on.
caretaker is offline  
Old May 29th 2019, 6:04 am
  #5870  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 0
scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Oh I know I could never be ATC, just one of those dreams, pays well and is aviation related, but yeah would never be able to do it. I applied many times to CN and CP for conductor, always as a kid wanted to work on a train. I never got to the interview stage with either, but did get to the aptitude test with CN a couple of times, but I assume since I always got rejected after that, I did not score satisfactorily on it.

The drop out rate at the FAA academy is pretty high from what I have always read, pays really well though, plus excellent benefits, but its a career you have to start by 30, which is the FAA age cut off, over 30 and your out of luck.

Just need a job that pays a decent wage, every year is a bit worse as costs of everything are increasing way too fast too keep up with.

Bristol, never wanted to be a mountie, but when I was in high school, did want to be a cop, specifically highway patrol in California. Also wanted to be a zoo keeper when I was a teenager, had such lofty goals back in the day before I realized that I just wasn't good at school so couldn't do most of the jobs I wanted to do. Train engineer was on my list as well.


Originally Posted by caretaker
I only knew one air traffic controller, and he was a live wire. "When I say I'm going to do something, I DO IT!" "When I have an idea, I WRITE IT DOWN!" He was the president of our provincial darts federation and had the flair for organisation (I was going to say mind like a steel trap) and enough energy left over after work to set up and maintain (along with his wife) a province-wide league and competitions. I couldn't stand the pressure of working ATC; I'm sure of it. I considered taking the RPN course when I worked in the hospital as a psych orderly but didn't pursue it and soon found other interests. The RN's I know now regularly mention that they could work as much as they wanted, and are often asked to work overtime shifts, but they aren't physically or mentally able to do it every time they're asked. That illustrates that it can be a high pressure job and there is an on-going nursing shortage and their union here in Sask is in the news every time their contract comes up. I don't know if I could take the pressure of being a nurse, either. There are jobs that pay better than others, there are jobs I can do and jobs I can't do, and jobs I wouldn't want to do. A wrong turn or 2 made when I was young might have kept me from becoming rich and famous (or even secure) by default, but I'll never know for sure and I've managed to have some great experiences and meet a lot of people along the way anyway. I wanted to be a train conductor, a game warden, a photo-journalist, the list goes on and on.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; May 29th 2019 at 7:25 am.
scrubbedexpat091 is offline  
Old Jun 1st 2019, 11:38 pm
  #5871  
BE user by choice
 
MillieF's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
Posts: 4,854
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

I just put the hummingbird feeder out, as it finally isn’t chilly and I thought there might be some...before I had moved five steps away from it there was one feeding! Bloody Magical Moment. Well worth the move to NB

I like being paid monthly. I always have been before. This biweekly business is a bore. Is anybody in Canada paid monthly?
MillieF is offline  
Old Jun 2nd 2019, 5:14 am
  #5872  
Oscar nominated
Thread Starter
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 52,268
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by MillieF
I just put the hummingbird feeder out, as it finally isn’t chilly and I thought there might be some...before I had moved five steps away from it there was one feeding! Bloody Magical Moment. Well worth the move to NB

Yes. August 2016 (from the bird thread) my first one.

So I'm sitting at the kitchen table right in front of the window and right outside the window is a hanging basket of flowers.

Suddenly there's what for a couple of seconds I thought was a rather large bee.

Then I realised it was a hummingbird. A real life hummingbird!

I actually saw a real life hummingbird about four feet away.

That was exciting.

We had one the other day. Came to the hanging basket and flew away. Not keen on strawberries, maybe. We changed the baskets over...maybe next time.
BristolUK is offline  
Old Jun 2nd 2019, 5:20 am
  #5873  
Oscar nominated
Thread Starter
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 52,268
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

June the 2nd and we've still had no June Bugs.

Despite the name, they usually appear mid to late May.
BristolUK is offline  
Old Jun 2nd 2019, 6:52 am
  #5874  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 0
scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by MillieF
I just put the hummingbird feeder out, as it finally isn’t chilly and I thought there might be some...before I had moved five steps away from it there was one feeding! Bloody Magical Moment. Well worth the move to NB

I like being paid monthly. I always have been before. This biweekly business is a bore. Is anybody in Canada paid monthly?
I love humming birds, such a fun little bird to watch. In Vancouver, and other parts of Southern BC, if you leave feeder out year round, there might be a winter visitor.

https://miss604.com/2017/02/hummingb...vancouver.html

scrubbedexpat091 is offline  
Old Jun 2nd 2019, 11:54 am
  #5875  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 3,874
scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by MillieF
I just put the hummingbird feeder out, as it finally isn’t chilly and I thought there might be some...before I had moved five steps away from it there was one feeding! Bloody Magical Moment. Well worth the move to NB

I like being paid monthly. I always have been before. This biweekly business is a bore. Is anybody in Canada paid monthly?
We were both paid monthly from around 1980 or so, but then we were employed at a university.

Now of course, pensions are paid monthly!

Daughter is paid monthly both when she was just staff and now as a partner.

Teachers are paid monthly.

scilly is offline  
Old Jun 2nd 2019, 11:56 am
  #5876  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 3,874
scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I love humming birds, such a fun little bird to watch. In Vancouver, and other parts of Southern BC, if you leave feeder out year round, there might be a winter visitor.

https://miss604.com/2017/02/hummingb...vancouver.html
Not just "might", but will be ................. Anna's Hummingbird has become a round year resident in the Vancouver area, and on Vancouver Island.

scilly is offline  
Old Jun 3rd 2019, 5:12 am
  #5877  
Oscar nominated
Thread Starter
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 52,268
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Free buses here Monday to Friday so we'll be taking advantage of that. Although it'll be a taxi t the zoo tomorrow (Daddy's taking us )
BristolUK is offline  
Old Jun 3rd 2019, 5:21 am
  #5878  
Stand-up Philosopher
 
caretaker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Regina Saskatchewan
Posts: 16,344
caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Although it'll be a taxi t the zoo tomorrow (Daddy's taking us )
I'll bite -

caretaker is offline  
Old Jun 3rd 2019, 5:34 am
  #5879  
Tea Drinker
 
Danny B's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Kamloops, BC
Posts: 5,387
Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I wish I could have been a nurse or air traffic controller, something interesting and well paying.
I wish I bought Apple shares in 1994.

What I'm about to say is a 100% true story.

My Wife used to play the same 6 lottery numbers every Saturday night for the 6/49 draw. They were all numbers for family Birthdays, mine included. One Saturday night my Wife and Daughter (9 at the time) were in Shoppers Drug Mart lining up to pay. My Wife was about to fill in the selection slip to choose her numbers when my Daughter started acting up, rushing her to leave the store. Instead of spending 45 seconds to complete the selection slip, she asked the cashier for a 'quick pick', a random selection of automatically generated numbers.

Can you guess where this story is going?

I swear to God, this is a true story, later that night at about 10pm she logs on to the bclc website to check the numbers, she sees the numbers that she has been playing for years are the main winning numbers and has a brief moment of elation, jumping up and down screaming with joy, immediately followed by hysterical crying. Upset crying, not happy crying.
The jackpot was $5m and there were no winners. There should have been at least 1 winner, her. But because my Daughter was rushing that day, my Wife chose a quick pick.
She couldn't sleep for 3 days after this, and we have vowed that we never talk about the 'what ifs' scenario.

Gutted, but what can you do. You cannot change the past, only the future.
Danny B is offline  
Old Jun 3rd 2019, 5:59 am
  #5880  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 0
scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Danny B
I wish I bought Apple shares in 1994.

What I'm about to say is a 100% true story.

My Wife used to play the same 6 lottery numbers every Saturday night for the 6/49 draw. They were all numbers for family Birthdays, mine included. One Saturday night my Wife and Daughter (9 at the time) were in Shoppers Drug Mart lining up to pay. My Wife was about to fill in the selection slip to choose her numbers when my Daughter started acting up, rushing her to leave the store. Instead of spending 45 seconds to complete the selection slip, she asked the cashier for a 'quick pick', a random selection of automatically generated numbers.

Can you guess where this story is going?

I swear to God, this is a true story, later that night at about 10pm she logs on to the bclc website to check the numbers, she sees the numbers that she has been playing for years are the main winning numbers and has a brief moment of elation, jumping up and down screaming with joy, immediately followed by hysterical crying. Upset crying, not happy crying.
The jackpot was $5m and there were no winners. There should have been at least 1 winner, her. But because my Daughter was rushing that day, my Wife chose a quick pick.
She couldn't sleep for 3 days after this, and we have vowed that we never talk about the 'what ifs' scenario.

Gutted, but what can you do. You cannot change the past, only the future.
Well maybe the future will see wages increase, its not really the jobs themselves and more about the lack options these days and low wages combined with high cost of living.
scrubbedexpat091 is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.