Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Aug 23rd 2017, 11:58 am
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
No, apparently they were nice with some mustard on the side
I bet they were delicious - the pictures of those pigs showed that they were well treated farm animals and, it seems, allowed out to pasture. Pastured meat is way nicer than factory farmed meat and more humane for the animals. As the owner says, they aren't pets, they are bred for meat! Most farmers, for 1000s of years, have shown gratitude and their thanks by providing food to people, this is no different!
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 12:07 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

I agree- if no one ate meat, no one would breed pigs as they arent that useful aside from being very intelligent likeable critters. I've gotta go... Snoop says it is teatime- Coincidentally I'm actually having sausage butties for my tea
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 12:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I was just thinking about this issue the other day when stuck in traffic on Cambie. Always wondered if living on major arterial roads was a good thing. We live off a major arterial road on ground level and I notice we have a lot more dust particles in the place, I imagine some if from the car exhaust driving past 24/7.

Dense development: is building along busy corridors unhealthy? - British Columbia - CBC News
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 12:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I got a organic, pasture raised, grass finished (they feed hay 3 months of the year in winter) organic etc beef patty today. It was noticeably better taste wise.

Originally Posted by becks_r
I bet they were delicious - the pictures of those pigs showed that they were well treated farm animals and, it seems, allowed out to pasture. Pastured meat is way nicer than factory farmed meat and more humane for the animals. As the owner says, they aren't pets, they are bred for meat! Most farmers, for 1000s of years, have shown gratitude and their thanks by providing food to people, this is no different!
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 1:28 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I got a organic, pasture raised, grass finished (they feed hay 3 months of the year in winter) organic etc beef patty today. It was noticeably better taste wise.
I was at my brother's and his ex-wife's house for xmas dinner once. Her sister had a farm where they raised chickens among other things and we had one of theirs for dinner.

Apart from it being the only chicken I knew by name it seemed no different to other roast chickens I've had.

Now veg from your own garden, that I can taste the difference.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 4:28 am
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I was at my brother's and his ex-wife's house for xmas dinner once. Her sister had a farm where they raised chickens among other things and we had one of theirs for dinner.

Apart from it being the only chicken I knew by name it seemed no different to other roast chickens I've had.

Now veg from your own garden, that I can taste the difference.
I did a taste test once, not on purpose. Some friends phoned one morning to say they were going to be passing our place later and could they drop in. I invited them for lunch and had to dash out to supermarket to buy meat as we didn't have enough for all of us.

So I brought exactly the same cuts of meat, cooked them all the same and gave everyone a piece of the meat from a local farm and a piece from the supermarket. It was so obvious, both by look and taste, which one was which.

The meat from the farm, which wasn't certified organic but was organic and pastured raised, was wonderful. The supermarket beef was drier and tougher, the supermarket chicken was very dry - even though I marinated everything for the same time.

I did read somewhere that meat producers for the supermarkets often inject the meat with fluid to make it look plumper, especially chicken. Then when you cook it, the fluid disappears quickly and the meat dries up quicker.

Not sure if this is the case, but we all agreed the meat from the farm noticeably tasted different and way better. From then on, all my meat came from farms
Old Aug 24th 2017, 5:43 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

My old house - I bought for £17,500 in 1984 and sold for £156,000 in 2004.

Resold for £192,500 in 2011.

Zoopla estimates value now at £278,000.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 5:54 am
Account Closed

Surprised the strike has lasted this long.

Pearson ground crew strike continues after union votes 98% against Swissport contract offer - Toronto - CBC News
Old Aug 24th 2017, 6:18 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
My old house - I bought for £17,500 in 1984 and sold for £156,000 in 2004.

Resold for £192,500 in 2011.

Zoopla estimates value now at £278,000.
My old house I bought for £45,000 in 1992 (including separate garage)
I sold it in 2001 for £97,500 plus £7,000 for separate garage (sold to 3rd party) - total £114,000

According to the estate agent, prices were about to drop and that was top dollar! (Liar)

It sold in 2008 for £215,000
Sold again in 2012 for £219,900
Current value according to Zoopla, £274,000

I miss that house
Old Aug 24th 2017, 6:48 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I miss that house
Wow...you must have been busy. You missed the would you have your old house back thread.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 7:20 am
Account Closed

Wouldn't it be nice to win the lotto...

She took the lump sum one time payment of 480 million US$ and after taxes will receive approx 336 million US$.

Hospital worker nabs Powerball prize of U.S. $759 million - National | Globalnews.ca
Old Aug 25th 2017, 4:05 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

There once was a Scot named McAmeter
With a tool of prodigious diameter.
It was not the size
That cause such surprise;
'Twas his rhythm -- iambic pentameter.
Old Aug 25th 2017, 8:27 am
Account Closed

Bang, bang, drill, drill, hammer, hammer... Joys of living on first floor with retail/commercial space in the back being constructed, hours of banging, drilling, and hammering.

Shows how poorly sound insulated they build these places.
Old Aug 25th 2017, 8:30 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Bang, bang, drill, drill, hammer, hammer... ...hours of banging, drilling, and hammering...
Show off.
Old Aug 26th 2017, 11:37 pm
Oscar nominated

Jeffrey Archer could write this.

Inspired by Night of the Generals, this could be called Night of the Senators.

Fictional US President is an embarrassment to the nation (it couldn't possibly happen real life) and his party. Senior officials hatch a plot to have him assassinated. No messy elections, no dirty campaigns, no impeachments and subsequent pardons needed.

Much political capital to be made from the assassination of their party leader followed by massive gains in the next election.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.