Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Mar 26th 2017, 11:01 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by BristolUK

In all seriousness, I've said many a time that I find Canadian drivers far more courteous than British drivers.
Really? I find it the other way around. Then again you are in NB - maybe they are nicer there then the drivers I encounter in Vancouver
Old Mar 26th 2017, 11:14 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Really? I find it the other way around. Then again you are in NB - maybe they are nicer there then the drivers I encounter in Vancouver
There may be much truth in that. But even in Quebec, Montreal's South Shore, I noticed it.

My in-laws' apartment building was on a street with a school zone and although it was the law that vehicles were supposed to stop at intersections, there was often nothing to catch anyone ignoring it.

It's also the law about not going through red lights, exceeding speed limits and all the rest of it.

I never once saw anyone not stopping on that street whereas seeing other laws broken is common, even here.

Either the drivers are being especially thoughtful when there are kids around or they're not normally bothered who they knock down but they think they'll get lynched if it's a kid.
Old Mar 26th 2017, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

There may be much truth in that. But even in Quebec, Montreal's South Shore, I noticed it.

My in-laws' apartment building was on a street with a school zone and although it was the law that vehicles were supposed to stop at intersections, there was often nothing to catch anyone ignoring it.

It's also the law about not going through red lights, exceeding speed limits and all the rest of it.

I never once saw anyone not stopping on that street whereas seeing other laws broken is common, even here.

Either the drivers are being especially thoughtful when there are kids around or they're not normally bothered who they knock down but they think they'll get lynched if it's a kid.
We lived in a small town our first year in Canada, and walked to and from school every day. I was impressed that the stop signs in the residential area I walked through were always observed, and pedestrians were always given priority. It took me some time to get over the assumption that cars would not allow us as pedestrians to go ahead of them, so I probably slowed down their drive even more than normal.

Someone on this forum has complained in the past about not being acknowledged/thanked with a wave when they let pedestrians go first in a supermarket car park. I have found that the expectation is that cars will stop for people in this situation, and failure to sally forth when crossing results in frantic gesturing from a confused driver.

On the non-residential roads however
Old Mar 26th 2017, 12:28 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
Someone on this forum has complained in the past about not being acknowledged/thanked with a wave when they let pedestrians go first in a supermarket car park....
I always do that and mouth a thank you so it might be that every motorist in Moncton recognises me as that bloke who always waves a thanks so they stop for me.
Old Mar 26th 2017, 12:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
No, I don't think Canadians drive amazingly but neither do I think Brit drivers do either. There are some terrible and dangerous drivers there.
Specifically Canadian failings are:

- driving in fog/snow/rain/darkness with no lights on the rear of the vehicle. I assume this is due to daytime running lights and happens in Sweden as well.

- driving up to a junction on the wrong side of the road and turning into the oncoming lane as if operating a horse and cart. People are a bit surprised when I go around them using only the correct lanes.

- failing to overtake, instead lingering behind a slow moving vehicle flashing and beeping and causing a queue and the need for others to overtake 2,3 or 5 vehicles at once.

- not knowing which way to go around a roundabout in your own country.

- chucking beer cans and whiskey bottles out of the window as they're emptied so littering the verge.
Old Mar 26th 2017, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Specifically Canadian failings are:

- driving in fog/snow/rain/darkness with no lights on the rear of the vehicle. I assume this is due to daytime running lights and happens in Sweden as well.

- driving up to a junction on the wrong side of the road and turning into the oncoming lane as if operating a horse and cart. People are a bit surprised when I go around them using only the correct lanes.

- failing to overtake, instead lingering behind a slow moving vehicle flashing and beeping and causing a queue and the need for others to overtake 2,3 or 5 vehicles at once.

- not knowing which way to go around a roundabout in your own country.

- chucking beer cans and whiskey bottles out of the window as they're emptied so littering the verge.
Somewhat hyperbolic, methinks.
Old Mar 26th 2017, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

What's with Canadian thing of texting to say "Can you call me?" Why not just call??!! Makes no sense.
Old Mar 26th 2017, 11:45 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by DandNHill
What's with Canadian thing of texting to say "Can you call me?" Why not just call??!! Makes no sense.
It's almost worth getting a cell phone just so I can receive one of those.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 1:07 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Somewhat hyperbolic, methinks.
I saw all of that, except the roundabout, this morning. This may be the only place in the world where Asian grandmothers in BMW minivans improve the average standard of driving.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

It's almost worth getting a cell phone just so I can receive one of those.
Lol. So many people do it. Or even send me private FB messages asking for me to call. Why not just pick pick up the friggin phone!!!
...can you tell it annoys me?!
Old Mar 27th 2017, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

I saw all of that, except the roundabout, this morning. This may be the only place in the world where Asian grandmothers in BMW minivans improve the average standard of driving.
Another hyperbole, I suggest.
I assume you still drive using posted speed limits as if MPH rather than KPH. So in a 60KPH zone you drive at 96.5KPH. IMO, you're a dangerous man and shouldn't have a licence. I just hope you don't Because of hurting, maiming or killing someone.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 3:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Ill agree on lack of turning headlights and rear light on in rain. In BC more cars without rear lights on then on.

Driving the highway can be tricky in heavy rain due to this habit.

Inability to merge also seems to be an issue in BC.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 4:04 am
Assimilated Pauper

Another hyperbole, I suggest.
I assume you still drive using posted speed limits as if MPH rather than KPH. So in a 60KPH zone you drive at 96.5KPH. IMO, you're a dangerous man and shouldn't have a licence. I just hope you don't Because of hurting, maiming or killing someone.
Well, I've no way to convince you that it was foggy this morning and that that brings on the risk of rear ending unlit vehicles but it's a worry to me. Perhaps if people could be convinced to have their blandmobiles painted some colour other than griege it would help.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Well, I've no way to convince you that it was foggy this morning and that that brings on the risk of rear ending unlit vehicles but it's a worry to me. Perhaps if people could be convinced to have their blandmobiles painted some colour other than griege it would help.
If greige as a colour was never used again I believe you'd continue to drive at 96.5Km/hour in a marked 60Km/hour zone. Therefore you'd still be a dangerous man.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 6:47 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I hadn't started it now
Anyhow- our rental Citro├źn Picasso brought 6 of us back from the Lakes in reasonable comfort with luggage- it has an automatic front passenger leg rest and I found out it has a fantastic front seat massage for both seats- amazing safety features, blinds recessed in the doors

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.