Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Sep 8th 2021, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I have not seen any of the episodes, but I met JS at a dinner in NYC. A very funny guy.
I've watched most episodes of Seinfeld and Jerry to me was the weak link. He couldn't act his way out of a paper bag. Watching Comedians getting coffee in Cars etc showed to me how self-absorbed and unworldly he is. I ended up just watching random episodes to see people I was interested in or if I was interested in the vintage car he was driving.

Seinfeld, to me, is probably the last US big network show I watched to any great extent and to this day the catch phrases from that show still resonate with many people my age.

I do find it amusing that amongst the most popular Netflix shows, Friends and the Office (US) and Modern Family, are relatively old and Netflix is just a forum to show syndicated shows without adverts.

Old Sep 8th 2021, 6:07 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
What do you all call this thing?

If it was signed by Duchamp it would be called your pension.
Old Sep 8th 2021, 7:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Netflix in a way has found itself in a corner of sorts as big content makers like Disney (who also owns most of Fox television and movie library in addition to Marvel and Star Wars) and others wised up and got on the streaming service gravy train, but the Netflix is losing rights to a good chunk of content due to this shift, so they have to produce a lot of content themselves and strike deals with companies like Sony who owns Seinfeld but doesn't have their own streaming service.

In the US the office (US version) has departed Netflix and moved over to NBC owned Peacock service.

Friends is owned by Warner Media which now has its own streaming service in HBO Max so Netflix in US and Canada has lost Friends as well, leaving Netflix US in 2019 and Canada end of 2020.

If NBC had owned the rights to Seinfeld, I imagine they would have put it on Peacock as well but the network shows air on are not always owned by the Network.

In the US Netflix doesn't have rights to Modern Family but it can be found on Disney backed Hulu as well as NBC's Peacock, Disney owns the rights to Modern Family as they own 20th Television which produced the show and of course Disney owns ABC the network that aired it.

The big content owners and producers in the US are trying to kill or at least make it very difficult for Netflix as they have far bigger budgets and deeper pockets than Netflix especially Disney, they own a lot more than just the stuff branded Disney.

Netflix has been bleeding subscribers in North America, but they are seeing growth in Asia, but they face an uphill battle content wise in North America as their licensing deals expire and not being renewed as Disney, NBC, Warner etc build their own streaming services.

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
I've watched most episodes of Seinfeld and Jerry to me was the weak link. He couldn't act his way out of a paper bag. Watching Comedians getting coffee in Cars etc showed to me how self-absorbed and unworldly he is. I ended up just watching random episodes to see people I was interested in or if I was interested in the vintage car he was driving.

Seinfeld, to me, is probably the last US big network show I watched to any great extent and to this day the catch phrases from that show still resonate with many people my age.

I do find it amusing that amongst the most popular Netflix shows, Friends and the Office (US) and Modern Family, are relatively old and Netflix is just a forum to show syndicated shows without adverts.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 8th 2021 at 7:26 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2021, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
What do you all call this thing?

I've always called it a drying rack, occasionally just the rack.
Old Sep 9th 2021, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Sort of along the same lines - in Australia this is a clothes airer, scouse calls it a maiden. Not sure if that's a UK/regional thing or if scouse is just indulging in a bit of wishful thinking.

We called this a maiden, I'm also from Lancashire, but NOT scouse-land.

OH is from Cheshire, and also uses "maiden".
Old Sep 9th 2021, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

My Welsh mother called it a clotheshorse
Old Sep 9th 2021, 8:29 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pica
My Welsh mother called it a clotheshorse
Same in my parents household, either one like that or one that opened and closed like a book.
Old Sep 9th 2021, 10:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Tragic accident in Vancouver Wednesday morning, a man getting food at McDonalds drive thru dropped his debit/credit card, presumably opened the door to get it, and the car rolled forward pinning him between the car and the door jamb.

He died at the scene. Hopefully McDonalds provides some crises counselors for the workers, that must have been horrible for them to witness.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/driver-fatally...thru-1.5577225
Old Sep 9th 2021, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
We called this a maiden, I'm also from Lancashire, but NOT scouse-land.

OH is from Cheshire, and also uses "maiden".
Close to my background. Father from Lancashire (now part of Great Manchester), mother from Derbyshire and I was born and lived in Cheshire in between the places my parents grew up in.
Old Sep 9th 2021, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond repute

The big content owners and producers in the US are trying to kill or at least make it very difficult for Netflix as they have far bigger
They are trying to get in on the act but “killing” Netflix isn’t a plausible objective. Netflix spends about $20Bn. Disney spends 3 times as much annually but most of these expenses are on other business ventures and parks and cannot be reduced easily.

Netflix is valued at about 250 bn. Disney is worth half that amount so “killing” Netflix would be an uphill struggle. The number of N American subscribers is still increasing albeit at a somewhat slower pace.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ers-in-the-us/
Old Sep 9th 2021, 3:27 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I finally managed to get my vaccine passport downloaded. Can you do me a favour and scan the code below with your phone camera and make sure it has the correct info for me?
Thanks

Old Sep 9th 2021, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Close to my background. Father from Lancashire (now part of Great Manchester), mother from Derbyshire and I was born and lived in Cheshire in between the places my parents grew up in.
Very similar to me .................. my town is also now part of greater Manchester! Both parents were also born in teh same town.

OH's father was from Yorkshire and his mother was from Wales (bilingual), and they lived in Cheshire.
Old Sep 9th 2021, 5:13 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
I finally managed to get my vaccine passport downloaded. Can you do me a favour and scan the code below with your phone camera and make sure it has the correct info for me?
Thanks
Lord Lucan?
Old Sep 9th 2021, 6:35 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Danny B
Thanks
Looks good.
Old Sep 11th 2021, 8:09 pm
Account Closed

They sort of fixed the heat, its not as bad now, but its still not fully off which sucks, but eh once it cools off for winter, leaving the window will keep things comfortable, but come March, they better fix it for good as I am not going through another summer like this one with heat blasting all day, everyday.

Retail employers are a pain the rear end, my wife got a temporary retail job, and at the interview she specifically said no more than 4 hour shifts 3 times per week, they agreed, but now this week she had 5 shifts, which is greater than 3, next week they went to the 3 agreed upon, but its a constant battle, and retailers often, well most low paying jobs do, agree to one thing at hire, than don't following through with their end of the agreement, very frustrating, for the low pay, these jobs sure demand the world from people.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.