Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Jul 6th 2021, 6:24 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Siouxie
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/h...-new-landlords

On the form RB-30 (dated March 21) it says it can be delived by email (but must be all 3 pages of the form, and you must have signed it)... if that helps.
10 Day Notice to End Tenancy for Unpaid Rent or Utilities (PDF, 248 KB) (Mar-21)

It's a shame it's not like Ontario - where you have to pay the first and last months rent when you sign the lease. (the last months rent being kept in an interest bearing account and interest paid on it to the tenant).
Thanks for that link.
Honestly the due diligence was not done and I tried to make him aware but whatever the damage is now done!

The email thing is a pain as they put their email address on strata form K but not on any of the RTA stuff so it doesn’t count. Some documents state email cannot be used for service but others advise it can if they have signed to agree for their email to be used for service - neither really applies in this case.

Old Jul 7th 2021, 12:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Canada Post will they ever improve?

Lesson learned, just because Calgary is closer than Toronto doesn't mean packages will arrive sooner, I will stick with the place in Toronto as they use Fedex ground and takes 2-5 days, Canada Post hasn't even scanned an updated since the day it was mailed when processed through Calgary.

Old Jul 7th 2021, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I believe one way of evicting a tenant in Ontario, is to claim the premises are needed to house a family member.
That happened to our daughter who was suspicious of the landlords intentions and it turned out to be true. He never did end up renting to a 'family' member but had our daughter and her 3 room mates out and he jacked up the rent with minimal improvements. He claimed later that the 'family members' in the end didn't take the place so he did some upgrades.
Old Jul 7th 2021, 10:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
That happened to our daughter who was suspicious of the landlords intentions and it turned out to be true. He never did end up renting to a 'family' member but had our daughter and her 3 room mates out and he jacked up the rent with minimal improvements. He claimed later that the 'family members' in the end didn't take the place so he did some upgrades.
I have heard of similar stories.
Old Jul 7th 2021, 1:58 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I believe one way of evicting a tenant in Ontario, is to claim the premises are needed to house a family member.
There are regulations regardng this - and penalties if misused.

https://landlordselfhelp.com/new-rul...lords-own-use/

It is now an offence under the RTA for a landlord to knowingly end a tenancy by giving notice in bad faith. A conviction for this offence can result in a fine of up to $50,000 for an individual.If a landlord is found by the Landlord and Tenant Board to have acted in bad faith, the landlord could be ordered to pay the following:
  • All or any portion of any increased rent that the former tenant has incurred or will incur for a one year period after vacating the rental unit;
  • Reasonable out-of-pocket moving, storage, or other like expenses that the former tenant has incurred or will incur;
  • An abatement of rent;
  • An order that the landlord pay a fine to the Board;
Case law: https://tribunalsontario.ca/document...nal%20Use.html

I would recommend anyone who has been evicted illegally to take action against the landlord.
Old Jul 7th 2021, 5:29 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Alice Liddell in 1858 and again in 1932. This is the little girl that Alice in Wonderland was based on.

Old Jul 7th 2021, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

This is also allowed here in BC.

Many landlords have done it, turned around and rented it again at a higher rent. The tenant can appeal to the Residential Tenancy Branch, and then appeal to the Office of the Ombudsman if not satisfied.

The guy who owned the house next door to us rented it out for some 25 or 30 years, never actually had anyone stay for longer than 2 years, but didn't do too much maintenance other than what was essential. He had a couple of tenants who did damage and even one that did a midnight flit. Finally he got a really good tenant.

D was a marvellous neighbour and tenant, lived in the house next door for 11 or 12 years, did maintenance on it, had 4 children by the end of that time, plus 2 cats and a beautiful well-trained Rottweiler. Then he was given notice to leave as landlord wanted it for his family.

D was unhappy, considered complaining but finally didn't ..... which was a good job as the house really was wanted for the landlord's son.

The landlord had to knock the house down and build a new one though as the cost of renovating the 1945 built Veteran's house was just too expensive.

Old Jul 8th 2021, 3:55 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by caretaker
Alice Liddell in 1858 and again in 1932. This is the little girl that Alice in Wonderland was based on.
One of my very favourite books as a child. I still have both Wonderland and Looking Glass which makes them a good 60 years old now , Looking Glass being the more preferred. I can still recite some of the poetry saddo that I am.
Old Jul 8th 2021, 7:01 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
One of my very favourite books as a child. I still have both Wonderland and Looking Glass which makes them a good 60 years old now , Looking Glass being the more preferred. I can still recite some of the poetry saddo that I am.
T'was brillig and the slithy toves
did gyre and gimble in the wabe
all mimsy were the borogroves
and the mome raths outgrabe.

Not copied and pasted, but remembered from childhood, and I'm 75.
Old Jul 8th 2021, 7:04 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by mikelincs
T'was brillig and the slithy toves
did gyre and gimble in the wabe
all mimsy were the borogroves
and the mome raths outgrabe.

Not copied and pasted, but remembered from childhood, and I'm 75.
I just LOVE it.

Beware the Jabberwock.

Oh and you can't be 75 at all. Not in my head you're not.
Old Jul 8th 2021, 7:18 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I just LOVE it.

Beware the Jabberwock.

Oh and you can't be 75 at all. Not in my head you're not.
I've really no idea why that poem has remained in my memory, possibly because it's all a lot of nonsense words, but intriguing words nontheless.
Old Jul 8th 2021, 8:08 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Wasn't he a nonce though?
Old Jul 8th 2021, 9:37 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Wasn't he a nonce though?
Apparently not, though there is a body of evidence and a school of thought that says he may have been a heavily repressed pedophile and a drug addict. Probably par for the course among Victorian writers/professors.
Old Jul 11th 2021, 5:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Weirdly dead on IC today, not one batch showing for hours now, and that is odd even for a slow day.

Frustrating.
Old Jul 11th 2021, 9:18 pm
Account Closed

Have to say, it looks like fun.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/11/tech/...scn/index.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.