Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old May 18th 2021, 5:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Expect some furniture to go up in price, sofas and reclining chairs to be exact if they are made in China or Vietnam, as Canada places temporary tariffs on such items. CBSA say's the countries are dumping product into Canada,

The tariffs for Chinese manufacturers range from 20% to 295% and Vietnam they range from 17% to 101%.

Wont be good for consumers, and retailers may further suffer, especially smaller independent retailers.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7870710/s...xoQctswFhIkSoE
Old May 18th 2021, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
When you cant do laundry whenever you want, you quickly realize how little clothing you have.

Clothes air dried last longer than ones dried in a dryer.

Clothes washed by hand and hung to dry last a lot longer .................. though it is harder work than popping down to the laundry
Old May 18th 2021, 10:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
Clothes air dried last longer than ones dried in a dryer.

Clothes washed by hand and hung to dry last a lot longer .................. though it is harder work than popping down to the laundry
I haven't bought clothes in in like 3 1/2 years, so they last a fairly long time already.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; May 18th 2021 at 11:03 pm.
Old May 18th 2021, 11:59 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Air drying clothes increases the humidy, therefore making it feel hotter.
Old May 19th 2021, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Air drying clothes increases the humidy, therefore making it feel hotter.
We air dry all our laundry, from sheets and towels to clothing.

We have never had a dryer in this house since we bought it 49 years ago, couldn't afford to buy one at first (the previous owners took all the appliances with them), and then found we didn't need one. There is a laundry area in the basement with hanging lines. It is large enough to hang all the laundry for 1 week.

The other half of that part of the house has been separated for a workshop/storage area. The laundry drying and humidity (if any) does not affect the main floor of the house, or the other half of the basement that is family room and OH's "office".

Daughter found out the difference in how long clothes last after she married and used a dryer constantly. Even using the dryer on low heat, there was a huge difference.

Re not buying new clothes for 3½ years ............ I'm wearing still some sweaters and tops that are over 20 years old, and still in good shape. I do buy new clothes, bu mostly in different sizes or because I'm sick to death of a 20 year old top

I obviously have never bought "up-to-the-minute fashion" items

Last edited by scilly; May 19th 2021 at 4:50 pm.
Old May 19th 2021, 4:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

We have never had a dryer in this house since we bought it 49 years ago, couldn't afford to buy one at first (the previous owners took all the appliances with them), and then found we didn't need one. There is a laundry area in the basement with hanging lines. It is large enough to hang all the laundry for 1 week.

The other half of that part of the house has been separated for a workshop/storage area. The laundry drying and humidity (if any) does not affect the main floor of the house, or the other half of the basement that is family room and OH's "office".

Daughter found out the difference in how long clothes last after she married and used a dryer constantly. Even using the dryer on low heat, there was a huge difference.

Re not buying new clothes for 3½ years ............ I'm wearing still some sweaters and tops that are over 20 years old, and still in good shape. I do buy new clothes, bu mostly in different sizes or because I'm sick to death of a 20 year old top

Never had a tumble dryer, all air dried.
Old May 19th 2021, 6:56 pm
Account Closed

I buy the old cheapo fashion from places like Target in the US or elsewhere in the US, so my clothes buying coincides with visits to California, more bang for the buck, same with shoes.

As for humidity and clothes, apartments being smaller can become more humid quicker with less wet stuff, even a shower can raise the humidity quite a lot, as can cooking liquids on the stove to and the other issue in apartments is space its pretty limited so you don't want clothes hanging all over the place taking up what little living space you already have.

Old May 19th 2021, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

We have lived in apartments without air conditioning, and with once a week allotted laundry time, unless you can get into a vacant slot. There were usually a few of those vacant time slots, but the times usually didn't work for us.

When necessary, I washed a few items out, hung them in the bathroom, turned on the fan and closed the bathroom door.

It worked!

Granted washing large items, such as sheets and towels, or a lot of clothes would not work, but you can wash and dry quite a lot that way without a problem.
Old May 19th 2021, 11:44 pm
Account Closed

I am not sure I would have much faith in a high rise that just starts to wobble for no apparent reason.

Old May 20th 2021, 1:34 am
Account Closed

Wood is so expensive, its become a hot theft item.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/10-000-in-plyw...lice-1.5434790
Old May 20th 2021, 8:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134

On an electric vehicle how is the heat for the heater generated, and does having the Heater/AC in operation affect the range of the vehicle on a full charge? thanks in advance.
Old May 20th 2021, 10:09 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cheltonian
On an electric vehicle how is the heat for the heater generated, and does having the Heater/AC in operation affect the range of the vehicle on a full charge? thanks in advance.
I quite fancy one of these.. https://mobilitypluspro2.com/product...ooter-with-ac/

Old May 21st 2021, 4:58 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

If anybody's interested in Vancouver there's a pub patio that does happy hour from 2pm to 6pm. They have lots of food specials but the cool but somewhat dangerous thing is that they have pints Fat Tug IPA on for $5.00. Although from last week's experimentation (HID had gone away for a couple of days) four hours on the Tug is . . . well suffice to say, I couldn't really remember anything after 4:30pm. I think moderation and some chicken wings are things to consider. But at least I only live 4 blocks away so I managed to walk home relatively unscathed, well until the next morning. Still it's a great place for cheap beer and snacks in this time of angst. An added bonus is you get to watch the Russian roulette electric scooter riders play with traffic.
Old May 21st 2021, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

If Costco in Canada opened at 4am there still would be line ups
Old May 27th 2021, 8:52 pm
Account Closed

Crazy how low wages are, how little companies provide benefits wise, and never any room to try and get better wage, its always this is what we pay, if you don't like it, have a nice day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.