Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old May 1st 2021, 6:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Baffling sometimes how Amazon US ships things. Packaged originated in Seattle, Washington, now its currently in Rockford IL, next stop will almost certainly be Wisconsin, onto Toronto, then to BC as Amazon ships this method every time I order from the US.

From Toronto it comes generally by Canada Post or Purolator typically.

Would save time just shipping from Seattle up to Vancouver to get to BC destinations.

Old May 3rd 2021, 7:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

So far looks like not having a dishwasher, washer, dryer and no electric heat makes for some nice savings on electricity consumption, we averaged 15 to 20 kWh per day in the last place, and so far in the new place its been between 4 to 5 kWh used per day.

Old May 4th 2021, 6:57 pm
Account Closed

Sometimes we wish we had been able to have kids.

Charlee is going bonkers in the new place, we are ground level and exterior halls and the bedroom window faces the open hallway so there are always people walking by with their dogs all day and through the night, Charlee isn't used to all the noise yet.

Can't close the window due to the heat being broken and stuck on.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; May 4th 2021 at 8:07 pm.
Old May 5th 2021, 1:16 am
Account Closed

Back when Vancouver had a zoo, it's too bad they didn't modernize over the years and focus on research and conservation so it could have remained open. One thing I miss about San Diego is the zoo, such a lovely place to stroll, but its 100 some acres and a massive botanical garden as well.

Old May 5th 2021, 1:51 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Back when Vancouver had a zoo, it's too bad they didn't modernize over the years and focus on research and conservation so it could have remained open. One thing I miss about San Diego is the zoo, such a lovely place to stroll, but its 100 some acres and a massive botanical garden as well.

https://youtu.be/LMSiOwcSWU4
Heartbreaking. I've heard of a few zoos in Canada that don't have the best reputation.have you watched this? https://www.cbc.ca/documentarychanne...-whistleblower
Old May 5th 2021, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

What was great about the Vancouver Zoo and Aquarium, as that is what it used to be called, was the Aquarium section.

Back in the 60s, even the zoo wasn't too bad, but the animals got old, and they started to specialize on the aquarium section, with belugas, orcas, etc.
Old May 5th 2021, 3:20 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by scilly
What was great about the Vancouver Zoo and Aquarium, as that is what it used to be called, was the Aquarium section.

Back in the 60s, even the zoo wasn't too bad, but the animals got old, and they started to specialize on the aquarium section, with belugas, orcas, etc.

The enclosures were norm for many decades, and believe it or not were considered an improvement as previous to concrete moat enclosures it was cages. But by the late 80's more forward thinking zoo's started to build naturalistic enclosures that mimics the animals natural habitat, and turned focus on education, conservation, research and protecting and breeding endangered species to keep species from going extinct.

One example is the California Condor, and while its still critically endangered, it is at least not extinct. In 1987 the population of the condor in the wild dropped to just 27 animals, at this point the US Government created a conservation plan, and with the help of the San Diego and Los Angeles Zoo, the remaining 27 birds were captured. These birds bred in captivity and in 1991, they began to reintroduce birds to the wild. As of 2019 there is estimated to be 518 California Condors living. (total population wild + captive)

Their natural life span is quite long up to 60 years, the primary causes of their decline was due to poaching, habitat destruction and lead poisoning from shot gun pellets, which have since banned in California Condor habitat, electric lines were also a cause of a fair amount of condor deaths, the chicks raised in captivity have been taught to avoid flying into power lines before being released into the wild as well as taught to avoid humans, and it worked, deaths involving condors and power lines have dropped, how they teach the birds, I haven't a clue.

The conservation plan was controversial at the time, many groups were opposed to it, but reality was without some protection of captivity, and increasing survival of chicks, the species would have gone extinct.

From 1981 to 2003 there were no wild condors hatched, that changed in 2003 when a wild pair mated and had some success.

In 2006 a pair of condors was spotted in Northern California, first time in 100 years any were spotted in Northern California.

Some zoo's are still awful of course such as the one in Aldergrove, how its allowed to stay open, I have never understood, its not a good place and should have been shut down a long time ago.

Old May 5th 2021, 5:23 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly

I remember the zoo from about '67 or '68. There was 1 polar bear out in the enclosure and because it was a hot day he was spending a lot of time staying cool in the pool. I remember the penguins. The monkey house was a big hit with the smaller kids but didn't impress me much. The aquarium section had a beluga and the Orca show, which I suppose it was good to see once. My favourite was the otters. I remember looking at the Beluga, and it looked back at me, then I moved closer to the pool skirting and it moved closer, never breaking eye contact. I thought "Gosh, these animals are super intelligent, this whale is attempting to communicate with me!" When the show started I discovered that I'd been standing where the trainer stands with the fish, but for awhile I thought I'd had an epiphany.
Old May 5th 2021, 5:45 pm
Account Closed

I have noticed people in this complex are very friendly compared to everywhere else we have lived. I guess it comes with longevity, many have been here for years, so I guess that plays a role, turn over of tenants is a lot lower vs market rentals so build more of a community I suppose.
Old May 5th 2021, 8:58 pm
Account Closed

This website is kind of cool, man did we clutter up space as a species.

https://maps.esri.com/rc/sat2/index.html
Old May 6th 2021, 5:27 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

https://imgur.com/EIpRLn8
What's your dream job?
Old May 6th 2021, 5:43 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to take up kiteboarding. I'm quite excited.
Old May 6th 2021, 7:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I would have thought that you would prefer water boarding!
Old May 7th 2021, 3:29 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by Oink
A friend of mine from the beach does it, and it looks like great fun. If the wind is right they go as far up the lake as they want, and in the winter they do it on snow covered fields within sight of the highway just north of Regina, jumping over the barbed wire fences at speed. When this first started getting popular here about 20 years ago they wanted to have a big event over Christmas holidays and use our bar for a few meals and a get-together, but they had to cancel as no insurer would touch them.
Old May 7th 2021, 5:16 pm
Account Closed

Mattress is too soft.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.