Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Sep 16th 2020, 1:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
One thing is certain, without tourists it doesn't appear the big Vancouver attractions like the aquarium and science world can sustain themselves on locals alone.

Science World has reduced their open days Thur to Sun, laid off 40 employees, and may close temporarily. Their visitor traffic is down 88% and not sustainable.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...seum-1.5725003

The aquarium in Toronto only opened a few years ago. There always used to be a long queue outside and a dozen or so coaches parked outside on the road. People who had prebooked could walk straight in, avoiding the queue. Now there is nothing, no queues, no coaches...nothing. It is located at the side of the CN Tower...again no queues.
Old Sep 16th 2020, 2:29 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The future has arrived at Tangerine Bank Finally they are issuing Visa debit cards and coming in modern times, goodness I had a Visa debt card in the US all the way back in 1999.....
I've never had a VISA debit card in the US and I have had 3 banks over the years. They have always been Mastercard/Debit cards.
Old Sep 16th 2020, 3:04 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I've never had a VISA debit card in the US and I have had 3 banks over the years. They have always been Mastercard/Debit cards.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_Debit#United_States

Old Sep 16th 2020, 4:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The aquarium in Toronto only opened a few years ago. There always used to be a long queue outside and a dozen or so coaches parked outside on the road. People who had prebooked could walk straight in, avoiding the queue. Now there is nothing, no queues, no coaches...nothing. It is located at the side of the CN Tower...again no queues.
I remember the construction of that, I was waiting for my train to Vancouver and wandering around the area, I can't recall how much was built though, I just remember the sign saying it was coming soon, and construction....

It's going to be rough for these types of places for a couple of years, despite what some think, there isn't enough people in Canada to travel and support all these places, they rely heavily on tourists from outside Canada.

Originally Posted by Rete
Same thing different name, some banks use Visa, some use MC. All the banks I ever used chose Visa, but they do the same thing. Allow you to make purchases where Visa or MC are accepted directly through your checking account, makes life easier when you don't have access to large sums of credit, and need to make a purchase or payment online that exceeds your credit card limit....

And wont need t carry so much cash when visiting the US has Canadian debit cards are largely useless in the US except for taking cash out at ATM's, most stores don't accept Canadian debit cards as payment, although closer to the Canadian border some chains do, but it's like how Wal-Mart near Mexican border will accept peso's but the ones near the Canadian border wont but they accept Canadian cash, but for most of the US such stores wont accept either foreign currency.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 16th 2020 at 5:01 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2020, 3:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I always did wonder why human teeth are so fussy.

Old Sep 17th 2020, 4:33 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I'm such a terrible backseat driver, I would never be able to do this.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...ving-1.5727828
Old Sep 17th 2020, 5:19 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Danny B
I'm such a terrible backseat driver, I would never be able to do this.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...ving-1.5727828

Idiots.

Some people just shouldn't be driving.
Old Sep 17th 2020, 9:36 pm
Account Closed

I really like FB comments sometimes, the outrage of people when there is literally nothing to be outraged over.....Silly humans.

Headline of CBC article on FB could be better, but man people don't read articles it seems. Headline says: death of grizzly & cubs big loss to park.

So many commented outraged over the deaths, laws need to be changed, people put in jail.

The 2 cubs are thought to most likely have been killed by another male bear or predator, one has not been seen since June and the other middle of August, the mother beear's death was an accident when she was struck by a train.

There there is the group of, we humans know better, so we should find the male bear and shoot it, so it doesn't kill cubs again.

Old Sep 17th 2020, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Headline of CBC article on FB could be better, but man people don't read articles it seems..
This is the whole all.

But then the headline is not supposed to be better. That’s the Internet. It sucks.
Old Sep 20th 2020, 12:43 am
Account Closed

Based on the questions asked on a BC Hydro survey, they seem to be testing their customer base to see how well customers may tolerate time of use billing, charging more depending on time of day.
Old Sep 20th 2020, 5:12 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Firework or gunshot? That great neighbourhood guessing game. One at 11:09, the second at 11:11. Sounded like a couple of blocks away.
Old Sep 20th 2020, 5:23 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by caretaker
Firework or gunshot? That great neighbourhood guessing game. One at 11:09, the second at 11:11. Sounded like a couple of blocks away.
When we were living in Vancouver still, everyday almost sometime between 11p and 6a someone would set off a bear banger, went on for months, first couple of times I thought it was gunfire, but then eventually police conformed bear bangers were being set off around the city.

Hopefully just fireworks for you.

Old Sep 20th 2020, 6:23 am
Account Closed

Air Canada is really pulling out any idea they can during these times.

Now offering Unlimited travel within Canada, one flat monthly rate. Price seems to vary depending where in Canada you are, from Kelowna starts at 2,100 per month for unlimited travel within Canada. Would be a good deal if no pandemic was going on.

https://www.prpeak.com/air-canada-to...ate-1.24206056
Old Sep 20th 2020, 9:02 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

A woman leaning out of a car window filming travelling down a motorway in the UK fell out of the car when the door opened. she fell into a live lane as well, fortunately she only suffered minor injuries.
Old Sep 20th 2020, 1:48 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
I wouldn't have a clue but I've always worked on the assumption that there would be sirens if gunshot; either from police cars or ambulance. We live close to the hospital.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.