Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Jan 15th 2020, 3:40 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by BristolUK
You've got me thinking now.

Not including calculators, my first experience with computers wasn't until I was 30 and then it was only data input. It was another 8 years before I had anything to do with my department's intranet and I was 40 before I had anything to do with anything 'Office' and that was Word.

About the same time I bought myself an old computer that had W3.1 and practised what I'd learnt on a short beginner's session on excel I took advantage of at work
My own computer (hard drive - 3gb and dial-up) and the fabulous world of the internet was when I was 42.

How things have changed since then!!
Remember this?
Old Jan 15th 2020, 12:15 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOXW...ature=youtu.be
Old Jan 15th 2020, 1:14 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF

My husband is from Victoria and often complains (when he is here) “I don’t remember shoveling rain in Victoria”! I promise, he has gone away to work...and is not lying in the frozen ground under the patio ...yet!
We'll take your word for it until Spring Thaw
Old Jan 15th 2020, 2:23 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Yep...but I don't recognise the last bits
Old Jan 15th 2020, 6:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I was bored so went back through family history, using 2 grandfathers and 2 great grandfathers which is as far back as I have info for, average age of death was 68.75 years of age.

My grandmothers and great grandmother average was 67 years but there were 2 premature deaths at younger ages that bring down that average quite a bit.
Old Jan 15th 2020, 9:34 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
You've got me thinking now.

Not including calculators, my first experience with computers wasn't until I was 30 and then it was only data input. It was another 8 years before I had anything to do with my department's intranet and I was 40 before I had anything to do with anything 'Office' and that was Word.

About the same time I bought myself an old computer that had W3.1 and practised what I'd learnt on a short beginner's session on excel I took advantage of at work
My own computer (hard drive - 3gb and dial-up) and the fabulous world of the internet was when I was 42.

How things have changed since then!!
We had BBC computers at school but my first computer home computer was a Commodore 64 and you could use Cnet which was a very early version of an online graphical environment but you had to be careful not to run up too much phone charges as unlike the US you had to pay for all calls made.
Old Jan 15th 2020, 9:49 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
..you had to be careful not to run up too much phone charges as unlike the US you had to pay for all calls made.
My lowest monthly bill on dial-up was £30 and that in a month where I was away for two weeks. Getting aol for £15 monthly fixed was great.
Old Jan 15th 2020, 10:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
We had BBC computers at school but my first computer home computer was a Commodore 64 and you could use Cnet which was a very early version of an online graphical environment but you had to be careful not to run up too much phone charges as unlike the US you had to pay for all calls made.
Ouch all calls made? That must have sucked.

Now in the late 90's there were still local toll areas in San Diego, if you called North County from South County is was a local toll call that resulted in a charge, but just had to make sure not to use a dial up number in a toll region, those eventually went away I believe, but local within your area code yeah could stay on for hours and it was just a flat monthly fee, I think it was around $35 a month for the phone line and $25-$30 a month for AOL, best thing ever was when AOL went to a flat monthly fee from the per minute or something that they charged initially.

I think it was 2005 ish when I left dial up for good, I honestly can't remember but somewhere around there.

I bought my first computer sometime during 1998, my first experience with the internet was around 1996 but we didn't have a computer or internet at home until I bought my computer in 1998, my dad wasn't the tech type and no matter how much we begged for a computer the answer was always the same, we don't need one. I typed all my high school papers on typewriters but so did many other students, only a few seemed to have computers at home, and they did happen to be the smartest and most tech type.

The late 90's to early 00's internet was better, boards were more active, less trolls and overall less toxic a place compared to now, social media replacing forums was the worst, also makes it far harder to find information since so many social media groups are private and thus don't show in searches like forums do, so becoming harder in some ways to interact with others and find information/discuss things.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 15th 2020 at 10:56 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2020, 1:12 am
Account Closed

Vancouver is an interesting place, people complain about homelessness, and in the breath complain about social housing taking up valuable land that should be used for more high cost condos and rentals.

Only solution for Vancouver is massive amount of social housing or wages increasing substantially to actually match the cost of basic needs like housing.

The free market isn't going to solve the hosing crises in Vancouver, but the government expects it to for whatever reason.

No need to see for this driver.

https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/c...indshield_and/

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 16th 2020 at 1:21 am.
Old Jan 19th 2020, 11:02 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Classical music played on a rubber chicken, naturally.
Old Jan 19th 2020, 12:36 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by caretaker
Classical music played on a rubber chicken, naturally.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khOfSVULtsU&app=desktop
Brilliant. I always remember that from the great Australian Vietnam series with the young Nicole Kidman.

Old Jan 19th 2020, 12:52 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Can you put a price on stupidity?
https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=stupid&hvadid=74698128729132&hvbmt=bp&hvdev=c&hvqmt=p&tag=msncahydra-20&ref=pd_sl_461wbsco5d_p
Old Jan 19th 2020, 3:12 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Oh the memories...

Old Jan 19th 2020, 4:12 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
There's only one thing on that page that I'd buy
Old Jan 19th 2020, 7:11 pm
Account Closed

My wife started a job last week at a retailer, first day in training 13 people, a week later of those 13, and 3 left.

It's min wage but union so its very rigid work rules, my wife only wants part-time 16-20 hours a week, but struggles with 8 hour days, but the union says every part-time worker has to work 1 8 hour day minimum per week.

She does find with 4-5 hour shifts, but 8 is too much and the management is willing to provide shorter days, but the union says no.

Long term it wont work for her, 8 hour shifts are too long for her.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.