Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Nov 14th 2019, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

We have a well, and I think that the water pressure really goes down in the winter. Does anyone else get this, or do we have a problem?
Old Nov 14th 2019, 6:24 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
We have a well, and I think that the water pressure really goes down in the winter. Does anyone else get this, or do we have a problem?
We have a well, deep drilled which we did have severe supply problems with in the past due to low production rate. We had it drilled deeper and hydrofractured which seems to have fixed the problem.
You say you think the water pressure goes down. Wells are controlled by a pressure tank/switch which should maintain supply to the house between 30-50psi. (i.e. the well pump will cut in when the pressure drops below 30psi as water is being consumed in the house).
Are you getting less water out of your taps? I'd check (or get someone else to check) the pressure/tank & switch first. Our supply issues seemed to be more prevalent in spring/summer than winter. The well would run dry and we'd ahve to wait for it t refill.
Old Nov 14th 2019, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
We have a well, deep drilled which we did have severe supply problems with in the past due to low production rate. We had it drilled deeper and hydrofractured which seems to have fixed the problem.
You say you think the water pressure goes down. Wells are controlled by a pressure tank/switch which should maintain supply to the house between 30-50psi. (i.e. the well pump will cut in when the pressure drops below 30psi as water is being consumed in the house).
Are you getting less water out of your taps? I'd check (or get someone else to check) the pressure/tank & switch first. Our supply issues seemed to be more prevalent in spring/summer than winter. The well would run dry and we'd ahve to wait for it t refill.
thank you, I’ll check that out 👍
Old Nov 14th 2019, 10:35 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

A typical pump well water supply consists of a well, a pipe , a pump, a surge tank, supply pipework and taps.
The supply pipe should be fitted with a non-return valve at the pipe inlet to keep the pipe full.
The pump should be fitted with a an adjustable pressure switch that turns the pump on when the discharge pressure falls to about 30psi and turns the pump off when the discharge pressure is 40-50psi. If the well runs dry, as it did with my daughter, then the pump may run dry and damage itself. We found it would no longer achieve 50psi but would get to 40-45psi. The switch was adjusted to compensate for the lower discharge pressure removing the need to buy a new pump.
The surge tank is a metal cylinder fitted with a pre-pressurised (to about 25psi) flexible plastic membrane separating the water from a pressurised air cavity. It is situated on a branch pipe from the pump outlet. As the pump discharge pressure rises it fills the tank and pressurises the air-side of the captive membrane. In this way it forms a pressurised reservoir of water than can be discharged on demand without having to start the pump. Only when the surge tank empties and the air-side depressurises does the pump need to start refilling the surge tank.
The supply pipework and taps need no description.
If the water pressure falls in winter I'd suggest you investigate the surge tank. If the air-side of the membrane has lost pressure then it should occupy a lower volume in very cold weather and if the pump is operating more frequently than it should this might indicate that the air-side need re-pressuring. I'm not sure but I think these are fitted with simple tire valves to allow recharging and these are located at the top of the tank. A surge tank losing pressure will mean that initially once a tap is opened the pump discharge pressure will fall rapidly to the lower switch pressure and the pump will start refilling the surge tank AND supplying household water simultaneously, doing neither as well as it should.
To test, I'd suggest you flush a toilet whilst looking at the pump. You should be able to get quite a few flushes before the pump starts. If it starts quickly then the chances are that the membrane has failed but try re-pressuring the tank first just in case it hasn't.
Old Nov 15th 2019, 5:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Amazon seems to be getting more wasteful. I ordered some household supplies, 6 items in total, the labels all indicate they originated at the same fulfillment center, they were all delivered by the same person. Amazon sent each item in its own box, 6 boxes for 6 items.

Old Nov 15th 2019, 6:21 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
...Amazon sent each item in its own box, 6 boxes for 6 items.
Looking on the bright side that's potentially six lots of bubble-wrap to pop.

Old Nov 15th 2019, 7:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

They use paper for filling now. Havent seen bubble wrap in couple years.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Old Nov 15th 2019, 8:41 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
They use paper for filling now. Havent seen bubble wrap in couple years.
I still get some. I especially like the big ones that you can squeeze two handed. Very satisfying.
Old Nov 15th 2019, 9:13 pm
Account Closed

I must not order fragile enough items.

I still get some. I especially like the big ones that you can squeeze two handed. Very satisfying.
Old Nov 15th 2019, 9:57 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Random stuff - the anything else thread

Bubble wrap: something for people who don't have a cat.

Last edited by BuckinghamshireBoy; Nov 15th 2019 at 10:26 pm. Reason: Cosmetic
Old Nov 16th 2019, 12:46 am
Account Closed

If you have ever wondered what blue whale poop looked like, now you can. Apparently these whales bowel movement is up to 200 liters worth.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-...wyNBs91EXKBSVk
Old Nov 16th 2019, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

daveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond repute

Try working your way through a swimming pool solar Blanket.
Old Nov 16th 2019, 1:25 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by daveincolchester
Try working your way through a swimming pool solar Blanket.
Lay it out on some concrete area and push a heavy roller over it
Old Nov 16th 2019, 6:22 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

My nan died. The last thing she said to me was doubt everything, be kind to people and don't get fat.
Old Nov 16th 2019, 12:16 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I’m so sorry Oink, everyone on BE has a soft spot for your nan. My warmest thoughts and wishes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.