Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Oct 24th 2019, 1:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

ha ha too funny.

I used to do the same when I worked graveyards, a note not to knock or ring the door bell, plus ear plugs and I could usually sleep okay, but I slept a lot more when working graveyards, I would sleep from roughly 9am to 8pm and still be tired, but quality of sleep during the day is lower quality and tend to wake up more. I'd sometimes wake up and look at the clock and it would be like 12 noon or 1pm and for a second be confused thinking I over slept and needed to be at work...lol

One of the worst parts of graveyard for me and I called it the 3am chills, every night 3am to 5am, I would feel cold even when it wasn't cold, and the 3am to 5am is the hardest part of the entire night to stay awake.

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
My husband's niece in Liverpool is a nurse and works lots of night shifts. She's a bit of a character and not someone you'd want to cross. She puts a 'Shift worker sleeping, please don't ring the doorbell' sign on her front door before she goes to bed. She was very cranky one morning when someone rang the bell after she'd only had 2 hours sleep, so she opened her (upstairs) bedroom window and yelled 'can't you f***ing read?!'. :lol:
Old Oct 24th 2019, 2:10 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
ha ha too funny.

I used to do the same when I worked graveyards, a note not to knock or ring the door bell, plus ear plugs and I could usually sleep okay, but I slept a lot more when working graveyards, I would sleep from roughly 9am to 8pm and still be tired, but quality of sleep during the day is lower quality and tend to wake up more. I'd sometimes wake up and look at the clock and it would be like 12 noon or 1pm and for a second be confused thinking I over slept and needed to be at work...lol

One of the worst parts of graveyard for me and I called it the 3am chills, every night 3am to 5am, I would feel cold even when it wasn't cold, and the 3am to 5am is the hardest part of the entire night to stay awake.
Yes, night shifts aren't kind to the body or mind. I wonder if the shivering/feeling cold was your blood pressure going a bit low, it sounds like it. That's the time you need to have a sneaky chocolate bar
Old Oct 24th 2019, 2:27 am
BE Enthusiast

sid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Bewitched, My Favourite Martian, Get Smart, F Troop, I Dream of Jeannie, Mr Ed, Green Acres, Man From UNCLE, Girl From UNCLE, The Champions, The Persuaders, The Avengers (Steed etc not the current ones), Adam Adamant, Target, Vendetta, Softy Softly, Doctor Who (of course), Lost In Space (irritatingly on at the same time), Doomwatch, Dept S, Randall and Hopkirk (deceased), UFO, Thunderbirds, Fireball XL5, Joe 90, Captain Scarlet, Supercar, Stingray, The Prisoner, Mission Impossible, MASH, Grange Hill, TISWAS...

All from memory without having to remind myself by googling and the Brit sitcoms, way too numerous to mention

There are bound to be some OMG how did I forget thats.
You forgot . . . and I will attempt to Spoiler this to prevent ear worm . . .
Spoiler:
Old Oct 24th 2019, 2:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Yes, night shifts aren't kind to the body or mind. I wonder if the shivering/feeling cold was your blood pressure going a bit low, it sounds like it. That's the time you need to have a sneaky chocolate bar
That was another thing about night shift, you tend to also be hungry more, and want sugar and carbs, I even read an article once how people on graveyard shifts are hungry more, eat more and eat more carbs and also higher risk for type 2 diabetes and other issues. Graveyard is really one of the worst things you can do to your body, and your body will you hate you for it.... I no longer do graveyards full-time, I can go to 1am or 2am but then I am getting a decent night time sleep, but working from night into the morning, never again.

I sat with a therapist earlier in the year when we were trying to pay for it and go on a regular basis, but that didn't work out, but anyhow during the time I was going, all my major self harm events were when I was working graveyards, and overall when on graveyard I was more unstable and even worse, so for my mental health and well being, never doing graveyards again full-time.

Old Oct 24th 2019, 2:36 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

That was another thing about night shift, you tend to also be hungry more, and want sugar and carbs, I even read an article once how people on graveyard shifts are hungry more, eat more and eat more carbs and also higher risk for type 2 diabetes and other issues. Graveyard is really one of the worst things you can do to your body, and your body will you hate you for it.... I no longer do graveyards full-time, I can go to 1am or 2am but then I am getting a decent night time sleep, but working from night into the morning, never again.

I sat with a therapist earlier in the year when we were trying to pay for it and go on a regular basis, but that didn't work out, but anyhow during the time I was going, all my major self harm events were when I was working graveyards, and overall when on graveyard I was more unstable and even worse, so for my mental health and well being, never doing graveyards again full-time.
A very sensible decision, you have enough to manage without putting yourself in a position that you know will have a negative impact you.
Old Oct 24th 2019, 3:35 am
Account Closed

If this photo from an old book is accurate, houses in 1967 could be bought for 2 times the average annual wage, seems like a good deal.

https://i.redd.it/euy1polgzbu31.jpg
Old Oct 24th 2019, 12:20 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sid nv
You forgot . . . and I will attempt to Spoiler this to prevent ear worm . . .
I did consider it but it wasn't one I really watched avidly. I probably saw more of the later ones with Ian Ogilvy.

Old Oct 24th 2019, 5:17 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Some criminals make it far too easy for police.

https://windsor.ctvnews.ca/alleged-w...-car-1.4652141

"Police say a shoplifter at a Windsor-area mall climbed into an unmarked police cruiser, mistaking it for a getaway car."
Just as bad as the other day on Long Island, New York when a phony cop pulled over a van. The van was full of off duty police officers.
Old Oct 24th 2019, 5:39 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Rete
Just as bad as the other day on Long Island, New York when a phony cop pulled over a van. The van was full of off duty police officers.
I hope the phony was arrested!
Old Oct 25th 2019, 1:43 am
Account Closed

Looks like some tough times for Alberta in the new budget.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...nation-of-200/
Old Oct 25th 2019, 7:07 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Naffing hell it's only Friday.
Old Oct 25th 2019, 12:12 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

One for PD

Old Oct 26th 2019, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
One for PD

Ha. Ha. Good one. If we're going to talk about bands in which all songs sound way too similar you can add AC/DC, Status Quo and most grunge and metal.
Old Oct 26th 2019, 2:03 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Ha. Ha. Good one. If we're going to talk about bands in which all songs sound way too similar you can add AC/DC, Status Quo and most grunge and metal.
Someone's showing their years

I've been listening to a reasonable amount of Pearl Jam recently, still good stuff. Never liked the Quo, and AC/DC was a short lived high school herd thing. Greatest group of the 21st century (introduced by Mr Jings to whom I am eternally grateful): The War on Drugs.
Old Oct 27th 2019, 11:20 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Our headliners tonight, The Lazys, come all the way from Australia! Hope they get a good crowd.
Almost a year later they're back, playing 16 cities in a month. They must like it here. Local rock station The Wolf 104.9 is promoting this, so we'll see what the crowd is like.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.