Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Jul 9th 2019, 7:07 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
If there is anything I miss the most, it's Mexican food, So. California style, there is simply nothing remotely close to it here.
Are you familiar with Mexis - Mexicali Rosa's Authentic Mexican Cuisine
Mexicali Rosa’s is unlike any other “Mexican” concept out there today. Often copied, but never duplicated, we truly provide authentic “California Style Mexican Food” in our restaurants
Old Jul 9th 2019, 7:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Those poor kids.
For sure. If they act like this in public, who knows what home is like.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I am not, never heard of them but they don't appear to have many locations and none out west.

​​​​​​​
Old Jul 9th 2019, 7:36 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I am not, never heard of them but they don't appear to have many locations and none out west.

​​​​​​​
I know...I just thought it an extra reason to change sides

Old Jul 9th 2019, 7:53 pm
Oscar nominated

The rest of the family asked me what was for supper tonight.

I answered them in morse code
Old Jul 9th 2019, 8:54 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

The rest of the family asked me what was for supper tonight.

I answered them in morse code
Ooo aah ooo. .
Old Jul 9th 2019, 9:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't like this new thing that some websites do now where you need a password and a text code, sometimes I need access to a website but don't have access to the cell phone, so annoying.
Old Jul 9th 2019, 10:21 pm
Oscar nominated

I really don't like this new thing that some websites do now where you need a password and a text code, sometimes I need access to a website but don't have access to the cell phone, so annoying.
I don't have a cell phone. I take the audio option via the landline.

So far it's only a couple of banks doing it and I'm not accessing the accounts outside the home.
Old Jul 9th 2019, 10:27 pm
Account Closed

I tried to use the landline (this is with Capital One) but they wont let me use our landline, something about being unable to verify it, maybe because the landline is in my wife's name.

I don't have a cell phone. I take the audio option via the landline.

So far it's only a couple of banks doing it and I'm not accessing the accounts outside the home.
Old Jul 9th 2019, 10:31 pm
Oscar nominated

I tried to use the landline (this is with Capital One) but they wont let me use our landline, and some places (especially US based) wont even use landline, text or nothing.
So 'nothing' then. I leave it blank when they ask for cell/mobile number.

So far, it's only been a random, once in a blue moon thing.
Old Jul 9th 2019, 10:42 pm
Account Closed

Capital One has been requiring a phone confirmation for the last couple of months, they just wont accept the landline only the cell phone. There is no way to sign in without text verification, enter password, then says enter code being texted.

So 'nothing' then. I leave it blank when they ask for cell/mobile number.

So far, it's only been a random, once in a blue moon thing.
Old Jul 10th 2019, 12:06 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

My parents pretty much operate on a if the kids want to talk they will contact us, my dad will send a Christmas and Birthday email but otherwise unless I call, I don't hear anything, my mom will write every couple of months if she hasn't heard anything from me, but never have long or in depth calls.
My Mum has sadly passed on, but telephones only worked one way...if I called her, which I did probably every 2 weeks and we'd talk up to 2 hours at a time, my Dad I have very sporadic email contact, which I think has now come to a halt after the last one, I will reply if he emails me again but the ball is now in his court as it were.

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
The thing is, they will make their own decisions - and, really, that's the way it should be. My Mum and I were close all her life, but spiritually (if that's the word), not physically. We exchanged two or three letters (aerogrammes, mostly) every week, back when international phone calls were unspeakably expensive. She survived at her end, and I at mine. Mum's worst moments were when I backpacked for three months through the Middle East (this was in the mid-'60s) with a girl companion whom I met "on the road". She and I later married in Canada, and were introduced to our respective mothers-in-law in Australia almost four years after that.

I have always felt a strong admiration for all those English mothers who in the 1800s watched some of their children emigrate to Australia and other colonies (voluntarily, I mean!) in the almost certain knowledge that they would never see them again. Imagine what a terrible "Mum thing" that must have been, Piff. Yikes. We have it a lot easier than they did!
I think people that emigrated before telephones and when flights were non existent or prohibitively expensive were incredibly brave, we do have it very easy in the grand scheme of things!

Originally Posted by scilly
My daughter tries to phone once a week, usually on a Sunday as that fits both our schedules best, but will call on a week day if she's missed it. Then we have irregular email contact, and I look on her private FB page.

She discusses all kinds of things with me ................ in fact, despite what the OH says, I listen far more than I talk during a call that can last over an hour. She even passes work worries by me, not that I know anything about her work, but she sometimes says I spot some common sense possibility that solves a problem, and that just talking to someone else other than her OH and partners about it helps.

We always have talked a lot ........ and her "flipped lid" doesn't last very long

Gordon ........ those mothers in the 1800s probably responded very much as my father and OH's parents did. "We wish that we could have done it when we were young. You'll have a better life than here."
DD's flipped lid is usually just a flash in the pan to, my technique of texting a few hours before chatting g seemed to work well, we laughed about it. Apparently some of her friends are envious of our relationship.
Old Jul 10th 2019, 12:09 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
If she gets a Presto card it will be cheaper for her - after x number of trips the price reduces / can be free. https://www.prestocard.ca/en/

As to housing costs in Guelph - it's a Uni town, so prices aren't generally that cheap.. however, there's lots of pubs, restaurants and 'stuff' to do there
we'd found the presto card thank you, so I was putting in the incorrect destination, it only works out ten bucksish each way, which is apparently cheaper than she anticipated, they are also going to car share when they can, I should have more faith lol.
Old Jul 10th 2019, 12:27 am
Oscar nominated

Capital One has been requiring a phone confirmation for the last couple of months, they just wont accept the landline only the cell phone. There is no way to sign in without text verification, enter password, then says enter code being texted.
I was just looking at various discussions about this (after googling) and I see reference to three choices - cell/mobile, landline or even email.

Of course I can't say whether it's UK, USA or Canada arms of Capital One so if it's the wrong one for you it may not apply.
Old Jul 10th 2019, 12:31 am
Account Closed

They don't give me the email option which would be nice...lol

There are 2 boxes to choose from landline or cell, but if I choose landline I get a unable to verify error, so the only option of the 2 that actually work is the texting to the cell.

They have both the cell and home on file, but however they verify the number the home phone for whatever reason can't be verified by Cap1.

I was just looking at various discussions about this (after googling) and I see reference to three choices - cell/mobile, landline or even email.

Of course I can't say whether it's UK, USA or Canada arms of Capital One so if it's the wrong one for you it may not apply.
Old Jul 10th 2019, 12:51 am
Oscar nominated

They don't give me the email option which would be nice...lol
I must admit that struck me as odd. I mean if an imposter has got that far impersonating you, it's not much of a stretch to think they could access your email too
There are 2 boxes to choose from landline or cell, but if I choose landline I get a unable to verify error,
I saw that issue cropping up for loads of people.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.