Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Jul 8th 2019, 11:31 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by caretaker
She'll need a little car then, and she'll have to add to expenses the cost of parking.
that was an idea, she was going to use some of her sadly tiny resp to buy a runaround, but has decided it would be better to pay off her credit card as she decided she couldn't really afford a car. But a car would be cheaper than a bus.

Originally Posted by MillieF

It’s called being a mother PP, it’s what you do...even when they are being stroppy and ungrateful...they are the people who can Really Do your Head in because you love them...Best of Luck Just occasionally it would be nice to run away, or find your own off switch
oh I know, we have a phone call scheduled for 7pm, wish me luck, I'd like some sleep tonight lol.

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
I think all we parents can do is to hope/trust/presume that what we've taught our children up until they leave home, stays with them after they've left home. What if he/she emigrates, as you (PP) did? We're in that situation ourselves, and we just have to be thankful that we're on wonderfully friendly terms with our son and his children. That's the truly important thing, which not every family is lucky enough to experience.
she already has 'emigrated in away as she moved province, hence why I am unsure of wether I have googled the correct information. I have a fab relationship with my kid, she just gets prickly and then she comes through and sort things out and then can talk without me irritating her. She just needs to process things. I sent her a message today asking her to check bus routes and prices, she has asked for a chat so that good!
Old Jul 8th 2019, 11:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Wonder if Uber will rush to come to Vancouver? Lyft doesn't currently operate anywhere that requires drivers to have a commercial drivers license so I don't expect they will show up since BC will require a class 4 commercial license.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...arting-sept-16
Old Jul 8th 2019, 11:46 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I have a fab relationship with my kid, she just gets prickly and then she comes through and sort things out!
That phrase makes me feel like you’ve got my life electronically chipped . It’s all going well in Never Never Land till I open my big mouth and suggest that we look at a fact or reality and then it all goes to hell in a handcart...normally with a couple of horribly well put and cutting instances of him pointing out how very far from perfect I am...

The terrible twos and appalling adolescents were a doddle...
Old Jul 9th 2019, 12:00 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF

That phrase makes me feel like you’ve got my life electronically chipped . It’s all going well in Never Never Land till I open my big mouth and suggest that we look at a fact or reality and then it all goes to hell in a handcart...normally with a couple of horribly well put and cutting instances of him pointing out how very far from perfect I am...

The terrible twos and appalling adolescents were a doddle...
I just know the exact words to flip her out, even without trying🤣 I can't wait to see her in August, I miss the death glares after saying good morning lol
Old Jul 9th 2019, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter is 45, been married 20 years, and I can still flip her lid by asking the "wrong" thing .
Old Jul 9th 2019, 12:37 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Fight breaks out at Disneyland, probably NSFW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RBW...ature=youtu.be
Old Jul 9th 2019, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by scilly
My daughter is 45, been married 20 years, and I can still flip her lid by asking the "wrong" thing .
it must be a Mum thing 😂🤣😂🤣

Tonight's conversation went a lot smoother than expected as she thought the bus fare would be more, I had entered the destination slightly wrong so it cones in just under $10 each way, she will have the car on the Days her boyfriend doesn't need it for work, he is on shift work, I should give her far more credit sometimes, still not sure why they have decided to move to Guelph though and not somewhere closer to the school, must be down to housing costs.
Old Jul 9th 2019, 2:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

According to Anaheim Police everyone in the fight is from the same family and were uncooperative with police. Police continue their investigation, no charges have been filed at this time.

Originally Posted by Danny B

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RBW...ature=youtu.be
Old Jul 9th 2019, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff;12708259[b
]it must be a Mum thing [/b]😂🤣😂🤣

Tonight's conversation went a lot smoother than expected as she thought the bus fare would be more, I had entered the destination slightly wrong so it cones in just under $10 each way, she will have the car on the Days her boyfriend doesn't need it for work, he is on shift work, I should give her far more credit sometimes, still not sure why they have decided to move to Guelph though and not somewhere closer to the school, must be down to housing costs.

It sure is!!

I'm glad tonight's talk went better than you're were thinking.

Mine's told me more than once

"Mum, I am married, and I KNOW WHAT I AM DOING"

I can easily imagine the expression that goes with that sentence
Old Jul 9th 2019, 4:00 am
Account Closed

My parents pretty much operate on a if the kids want to talk they will contact us, my dad will send a Christmas and Birthday email but otherwise unless I call, I don't hear anything, my mom will write every couple of months if she hasn't heard anything from me, but never have long or in depth calls.
Old Jul 9th 2019, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

it must be a Mum thing
The thing is, they will make their own decisions - and, really, that's the way it should be. My Mum and I were close all her life, but spiritually (if that's the word), not physically. We exchanged two or three letters (aerogrammes, mostly) every week, back when international phone calls were unspeakably expensive. She survived at her end, and I at mine. Mum's worst moments were when I backpacked for three months through the Middle East (this was in the mid-'60s) with a girl companion whom I met "on the road". She and I later married in Canada, and were introduced to our respective mothers-in-law in Australia almost four years after that.

I have always felt a strong admiration for all those English mothers who in the 1800s watched some of their children emigrate to Australia and other colonies (voluntarily, I mean!) in the almost certain knowledge that they would never see them again. Imagine what a terrible "Mum thing" that must have been, Piff. Yikes. We have it a lot easier than they did!
Old Jul 9th 2019, 5:02 am
BE Forum Addict

My daughter tries to phone once a week, usually on a Sunday as that fits both our schedules best, but will call on a week day if she's missed it. Then we have irregular email contact, and I look on her private FB page.

She discusses all kinds of things with me ................ in fact, despite what the OH says, I listen far more than I talk during a call that can last over an hour. She even passes work worries by me, not that I know anything about her work, but she sometimes says I spot some common sense possibility that solves a problem, and that just talking to someone else other than her OH and partners about it helps.

We always have talked a lot ........ and her "flipped lid" doesn't last very long

Gordon ........ those mothers in the 1800s probably responded very much as my father and OH's parents did. "We wish that we could have done it when we were young. You'll have a better life than here."
Old Jul 9th 2019, 3:20 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Where's Donald Duck when you need him?

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
According to Anaheim Police everyone in the fight is from the same family and were uncooperative with police. .
I did get the impression there were a lot who knew each other, but I thought it was two groups.

Old Jul 9th 2019, 4:01 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

it must be a Mum thing 😂🤣😂🤣

If she gets a Presto card it will be cheaper for her - after x number of trips the price reduces / can be free. https://www.prestocard.ca/en/

As to housing costs in Guelph - it's a Uni town, so prices aren't generally that cheap.. however, there's lots of pubs, restaurants and 'stuff' to do there
Old Jul 9th 2019, 5:25 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
According to Anaheim Police everyone in the fight is from the same family and were uncooperative with police. Police continue their investigation, no charges have been filed at this time.
Those poor kids.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.