Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Jun 11th 2019, 7:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

The previous post was not meant for this thread, wasn't meant for another, but didn't catch it before it was too late to delete, sorry about that.

This judge is fun to watch.

Last edited by BEVS; Jun 11th 2019 at 10:54 pm. Reason: Sorted for you.
Old Jun 12th 2019, 3:12 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
I'm guessing it must be some sort of charity fundraiser.
Apparently it's to slap so hard that you make your opponent step forward.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ing-craze.html
Old Jun 12th 2019, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

hg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Oh I know I could never be ATC, just one of those dreams, pays well and is aviation related, but yeah would never be able to do it. I applied many times to CN and CP for conductor, always as a kid wanted to work on a train. I never got to the interview stage with either, but did get to the aptitude test with CN a couple of times, but I assume since I always got rejected after that, I did not score satisfactorily on it.
Bit late, but...dodged a bullet there, I think. I have cause through work to talk to an awful lot of CP people (in all sorts of positions) and I can count the happy traincrew on the fingers of one hand. I gather it was a nice enough place to work 'back in the day' - once you got a bit of seniority you'd end up with something vaguely resembling a regular schedule and the company itself was generally pretty decent - but over the last couple of decades everything got ultra-corporatized, management turned bullying and hostile and trimmed down to bare minimum staffing, maintenance etc; the joke, that I've heard from a couple dozen train crew separately, is 'they spend $50,000 training us and $100,000 trying to fire us', to the point of the field boss type people having quotas of dismissals they're expected to meet.

CN are by most accounts I've heard not as bad, and to be fair I have heard it put about that CP are a bit better now than they were a few years ago (I gather the big boss that dropped dead a couple of years ago was the major villain) but still a far less pleasant environment than it was a few decades ago, notwithstanding that the pay is good.
Old Jun 12th 2019, 7:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Some of that actually sounds a lot like the airline industry lol...which is where the bulk of my working life was spent.

I was only applying as the pay was good. I have never worked anywhere with a good corporate culture so sounds a lot like most of the places I have worked.

Airline world management was always looking for ways to get rid of work groups and outsource where they could.

Originally Posted by hg42
Bit late, but...dodged a bullet there, I think. I have cause through work to talk to an awful lot of CP people (in all sorts of positions) and I can count the happy traincrew on the fingers of one hand. I gather it was a nice enough place to work 'back in the day' - once you got a bit of seniority you'd end up with something vaguely resembling a regular schedule and the company itself was generally pretty decent - but over the last couple of decades everything got ultra-corporatized, management turned bullying and hostile and trimmed down to bare minimum staffing, maintenance etc; the joke, that I've heard from a couple dozen train crew separately, is 'they spend $50,000 training us and $100,000 trying to fire us', to the point of the field boss type people having quotas of dismissals they're expected to meet.

CN are by most accounts I've heard not as bad, and to be fair I have heard it put about that CP are a bit better now than they were a few years ago (I gather the big boss that dropped dead a couple of years ago was the major villain) but still a far less pleasant environment than it was a few decades ago, notwithstanding that the pay is good.
Old Jun 12th 2019, 5:09 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

My stepdaughter has temporarily lost her voice so she's having to write everything down when she wants to say something.

I wrote "Oi!" in her notebook to use if she needs to call me from a different room.
Old Jun 12th 2019, 6:35 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
What do you give a man with everything?
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...riendship-dies
Correct, a tree. But it failed to recognise the Trump Kiss of Death.
But wait, what's that I hear?
It's not really dead, Trump has Tweeted that the tree lives. Amazing what a touch from the Messiah will do.
What was that definition of madness?
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48607423
"Insanity is doing the same thing over again and expecting different results" and that says a lot about Macron.
RIP Tree.

Old Jun 12th 2019, 9:14 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
What was that definition of madness?
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48607423
"Insanity is doing the same thing over again and expecting different results" and that says a lot about Macron.
RIP Tree.
Tree's a jolly good fellow...
Old Jun 13th 2019, 7:23 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Tree's a jolly good fellow...

I just twigged what you did.. you got to the root of the problem... Leaf it out mate...
Old Jun 13th 2019, 4:27 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I just twigged what you did.. you got to the root of the problem... Leaf it out mate...
Old Jun 14th 2019, 8:19 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Do you ever wonder when you get old, you'll have conversations with your breakfast?
Old Jun 14th 2019, 8:28 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Do you ever wonder when you get old, you'll have conversations with your breakfast?
Sometimes I talk to the people driving around me in traffic, even though I know they can't hear me. I try to offer suggestions on how they might improve their driving.
Old Jun 14th 2019, 9:30 am
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

My breakfast is not really worth talking to.

Supper on the other hand...
Old Jun 14th 2019, 2:43 pm
Oscar nominated

Do you mean literally...like talking to your sausage (if that's not too suggestive ) or conversations at the breakfast table?

I'm usually the only one up at breakfast time, unless it's a workday for my stepdaughter. So there are conversations then.
Old Jun 14th 2019, 3:38 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't everyone?
I also apologise to worms if I squish them when gardening...
Old Jun 14th 2019, 5:11 pm
Account Closed

I wonder if he would have gotten the jobs with the federal government if he had not mentioned depression. One example why it's best never to tell an employer about mental health. I made that mistake once, and never again.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...tion-1.5174363

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.