Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Oct 12th 2017, 1:06 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by DandNHill
...do you think at some stage it will go full circle and at some stage we will be able to identify people again?
Perhaps, but it might be that we're differentiating robots or AI forms.

There might be a few lawsuits for hurt circuits.
Old Oct 12th 2017, 1:20 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

When I'm watching a foreign movie or TV series with subtitles, sometimes I can be so absorbed that after, I need to remind myself it was subtitled because it got to the point where it didn't seem like it.

I had a new experience last night when watching Bon Cop Bad Cop 2. I don't know why it is but bilingual Quebecois (I'd rather say Quebecker but Quebecois sounds more intelligent) will often change from French to English and back.

So, in BCBC2 there's dialog and I'm reading the subtitles. Then the other guy suddenly responds in English and I think wait, what dd he say? There was no subtitle and I am so tuned in to reading that I missed the line when he spoke my language.

It happened a few times before I was able to adapt and be ready for another change.
Old Oct 12th 2017, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Jimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Haven't tried that new place yet....heard its good though! However to be fair I do enjoy Shafiq's taste of Inida.....Shafiqu knows me by name when I pop in for my Chicken Vinadaloo takeout!
I'll second Bats on that, Paul. We tried it the other day and were pleasantly surprised by how good it was. It was also very busy in there (a good sign too, albeit probably the "new" factor).

Just my humble opinion but thought it was better than Shafiq's.

Anyway, good curry finally comes to Ptbo. Hurrah!
Old Oct 12th 2017, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
When I'm watching a foreign movie or TV series with subtitles, sometimes I can be so absorbed that after, I need to remind myself it was subtitled because it got to the point where it didn't seem like it.

I had a new experience last night when watching Bon Cop Bad Cop 2. I don't know why it is but bilingual Quebecois (I'd rather say Quebecker but Quebecois sounds more intelligent) will often change from French to English and back.

So, in BCBC2 there's dialog and I'm reading the subtitles. Then the other guy suddenly responds in English and I think wait, what dd he say? There was no subtitle and I am so tuned in to reading that I missed the line when he spoke my language.

It happened a few times before I was able to adapt and be ready for another change.
I watched that movie a couple of years ago recommended to me by somebody because of a conversation about how bilingual peoples brains are wired
Old Oct 12th 2017, 2:48 pm
Oscar nominated

I watched that movie a couple of years ago recommended to me by somebody because of a conversation about how bilingual peoples brains are wired
That must have been the original as BCBC2 is only recently out. If you enjoyed it, you'd enjoy 2 too.

Having lived with Quebeckers by the time I saw the first one it was great fun.
Old Oct 12th 2017, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jimbo2012
I'll second Bats on that, Paul. We tried it the other day and were pleasantly surprised by how good it was. It was also very busy in there (a good sign too, albeit probably the "new" factor).

Just my humble opinion but thought it was better than Shafiq's.

Anyway, good curry finally comes to Ptbo. Hurrah!

OK Right! Thats a trusted recommendation! Looks likes Im going to have to treat myself.... I assume they do take out? All I need now is a couple of bottles of Cobra!
Old Oct 12th 2017, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

That must have been the original as BCBC2 is only recently out. If you enjoyed it, you'd enjoy 2 too.

I'd better check it out...
Old Oct 12th 2017, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Yep, ads galore for me as well from Sears. But I won't be going to any of their stores, I haven't bought anything from Sears in a long time, we did go through a store last spring, but it was so unpleasant we left, half the store was empty with nothing in it.

The writing was on the wall for years.
You too...I only ordered from them when the mother in law was still in Quebec (until 2011) and it was convenient to have stuff delivered there.

I used to get about two emails a year but lately it's been 2 or 3 times a week.

I was hoping one of the offers was a power recliner but not so far and I wouldn't risk it now.

However, if the number of emails was an indication of going bust, goodye Amazon, Staples and BestBuy.
IIRC, the only thing I ever bought in Sears was part of DD’s First Communion outfit (no, it wasn’t the traditional froufrou mini-bridal affair!). I’ve never really known how or why I got on their mailing list, or bothered to think about it.
Old Oct 12th 2017, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I haven’t seen BCBC2, but I recall enjoying 1 and having a bilingual brain discussion with sprogs/friends at the time .
Old Oct 12th 2017, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Shirtback
I haven’t seen BCBC2, but I recall enjoying 1 and having a bilingual brain discussion with sprogs/friends at the time .
Come to think of it, you might have been the one to recommend it to me!
Old Oct 12th 2017, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Come to think of it, you might have been the one to recommend it to me!
Crikey! Did I??
Old Oct 12th 2017, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Crikey! Did I??
I think possibly. You and I have spoken about the benefits and experiences of being bilingual...
Old Oct 12th 2017, 5:59 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I think possibly. You and I have spoken about the benefits and experiences of being bilingual...
Giggity
Old Oct 12th 2017, 8:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Rain and hail at the airport today. Currently seeking shelter due to a lightning warning.

Delayed flights.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

Jimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
.... I assume they do take out? All I need now is a couple of bottles of Cobra!
Yes mate, they do. Ours was take out. Can order totally online too.

Can't comment on the beer selection but I'm sure they've got that covered!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.