Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Sep 29th 2016, 7:28 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

“********, can you call Nando’s and order me two whole chickens, two double skewers and two orders of wings and 8 Portuguese buns for immediate pick up.”

“Why?”

“Because I’m, taking the afternoon off to go fishing.”

“Why?”

“Because it’s nice and sunny and the tide is perfect.”

“What’ll happen if ******* calls?”

“He’ll just call me direct.”

“But what if he calls the main number?”

“Then he’s a naffing p***.”

“Will you be in tomorrow?”

“Depends how much I drink while fishing.”

“See you on Monday then.”
Old Sep 29th 2016, 7:35 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
This post is for those who live in the Metro Vancouver area.

I received a bill yesterday from TREO who manage the toll fees for those crossing the Fraser using the Port Mann Bridge. Unfortunately, the plate they photographed did not belong to my car but was on one that I sold two years ago.

Phoned them up and talked with a pleasant lady who informed me that the plate was still registered in their system under my name.

'Ahh' I asked, 'Don't you reference the ICBC database?'.
'If only that were true,' she replied.

Apparently TREO operate their own system completely independently of ICBC and never the twain shall meet. Instead they require anyone using the Port Mann bridge to call them or access their account on the internet and update their plate details personally. I did not know this.

I suspect that TREO would be able to access the ICBC database if they paid for it.

So.. if you use the Port Mann bridge and sell your car and don't take the trouble to advise TREO, then prepare to receive an invoice.
Ahem. Please note Step 2.

http://www.icbc.com/vehicle-registra...ownership.aspx
Old Sep 29th 2016, 11:57 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Ahem. Please note Step 2.
Many thanks for this useful advice... but...
All this was done.
The issue is that TREO operates a database that's completely independent of ICBC and relies, as I have only just discovered, on vehicle owners keeping their details up to date.
When they don't have a plate on file then they presumably only then contact ICBC for information as must have been the case the only time I traversed the Port Mann using the plate in question.
When they have a plate on file then they bill the individual linked to that plate irrespective of whether it is actually the current licensee of that particular plate.
It's clear that I'm not the only one not to know this since the current licensee has also failed to keep his/her details up to date.
Old Sep 30th 2016, 12:47 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Went to the immigration museum in Halifax yesterday and saw and old sign from the department of 'Manpower and Immigration' from 1968.

Was this CIC non politically correct name back then?

How many times have they changed the name because it's IRCC now?
Old Sep 30th 2016, 2:21 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I stood on the sidewalk and watched them take down the sign that said Unemployment Centre and replace it with one saying Employment Centre.
Old Sep 30th 2016, 2:31 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
Many thanks for this useful advice... but...
All this was done.
The issue is that TREO operates a database that's completely independent of ICBC and relies, as I have only just discovered, on vehicle owners keeping their details up to date.
When they don't have a plate on file then they presumably only then contact ICBC for information as must have been the case the only time I traversed the Port Mann using the plate in question.
When they have a plate on file then they bill the individual linked to that plate irrespective of whether it is actually the current licensee of that particular plate.
It's clear that I'm not the only one not to know this since the current licensee has also failed to keep his/her details up to date.
How did this other guy get hold of your plates? This sounds more like a police matter to me if as u said u removed the plates? Go look in shed see if some one nicked em !!
Old Sep 30th 2016, 2:32 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
I stood on the sidewalk and watched them take down the sign that said Unemployment Centre and replace it with one saying Employment Centre.
I suppose nobody thought of just replacing Une with E
Old Sep 30th 2016, 2:34 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
How did this other guy get hold of your plates? This sounds more like a police matter to me if as u said u removed the plates? Go look in shed see if some one nicked em !!
I wondered that, then thought maybe they re-use numbers for new plates. Since the toll people aren't government they'd still have them registered to the OP.
Old Sep 30th 2016, 9:10 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Old Oct 1st 2016, 1:56 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

In BC you buy a new set of plates when you buy a car or renew insurance after having surrendered the old plates, eg to obtain a refund of unused insurance, eg when you sell the car.

You are not allowed to transfer plates between owners. The surrendered plate numbers then must re-enter the plate pool to be re-issued.

You will quickly realise that the ICBC system of plate allocation is open to abuse especially where third parties, who rely on plate recognition, is concerned.

Last edited by dave_j; Oct 1st 2016 at 2:07 am.
Old Oct 1st 2016, 2:06 am
Listen to the Music

I have a new rant.

I just discovered that a stop light had failed on my 2010 Toyota Matrix. Change the bulb I thought, easy.

The bulb holder is located in a hidden recessed circular cavity accessible from a removable piece of trim. 'Sounds straightforward' I hear you say. And so it is if you gave fingers that are 200mm long, each 3mm in diameter and fitted with 28 joints and a prehensile neck that allows you glimpse what you are trying to do.

What I'm trying to say is that it was a tricky and difficult job and it need not have been. The engineer who designed this catastrophe of a light fitting should have been sentenced to a lifetime of bulb replacement therapy.

Rant over.
Old Oct 1st 2016, 2:31 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

The Monkees

Old Oct 1st 2016, 2:43 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody Canada Geese! I walked out of a building this evening to find that huge skeins of the buggers were forming and flying down the Saint John River....they know that the winter is coming....and I would far rather accept anything else

It was minus 1 this morning, and plus 18 by lunch....please give a little more plus days for a while
Old Oct 1st 2016, 3:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I've never liked this band, but I like this song, popped up on my FB this evening.

Old Oct 1st 2016, 4:39 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by MillieF
Bloody Canada Geese! I walked out of a building this evening to find that huge skeins of the buggers were forming and flying down the Saint John River....they know that the winter is coming....and I would far rather accept anything else

It was minus 1 this morning, and plus 18 by lunch....please give a little more plus days for a while
WOW. I wold love to see that.

When your old cat has not much teeth to speak of, it is very foolhardy to walk past his bowl in your bare feet .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.