Racialized?

Old Jun 8th 2020, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Racialized?

I kept hearing this word used by Canadian politicians and hosts of political TV shows over the weekend.

I accept that North Americans struggle to speak the English language properly but what the hell is a person that has been "racialized"?

On the assumption that those that, North Americans, would say have been burglarized are those that have been burgled, what has happened to those that have been racialized?
Old Jun 8th 2020, 1:39 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racialized?

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I kept hearing this word used by Canadian politicians and hosts of political TV shows over the weekend.

I accept that North Americans struggle to speak the English language properly but what the hell is a person that has been "racialized"?

On the assumption that those that, North Americans, would say have been burglarized are those that have been burgled, what has happened to those that have been racialized?
I haven't heard the expression but my guess is that it seems from the idea of race as a social construct, people don't have race unless society says they do. Growing up in the mythical equal society of Canada no one has race but then the police whack them on the head for WWB or similar and, suddenly, they're racialated, or racialized, or what ev. This is not a line of thought I would advance in front of any aboriginal people.
Old Jun 8th 2020, 2:21 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

REminds me of the end of this sketch

Last edited by Danny B; Jun 8th 2020 at 2:23 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2020, 3:27 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I haven't heard the expression but my guess is that it seems from the idea of race as a social construct, people don't have race unless society says they do. Growing up in the mythical equal society of Canada no one has race but then the police whack them on the head for WWB or similar and, suddenly, they're racialated, or racialized, or what ev. This is not a line of thought I would advance in front of any aboriginal people.

I won't tell my husband's family that you said that. His brothers-in-law, nieces and nephews are all Mohawks.

P.S. As are his sons and daughter and his granddaughters and grandson. His first wife was 100% Lakota. Therefore his children are 50% Lakota.

Last edited by Rete; Jun 8th 2020 at 3:32 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2020, 3:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Trudeau has just used racialized umpteen time already during his morning address and it isn't finished yet.
Old Jun 8th 2020, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

So, if a black person tells me I have white privilege, have they racialized me?

The way the politicians refer to racialized people, it appears to be that they are referring to those that are black, brown, Asian, aboriginal. In other words, anyone that is not caucasian. I was simply curious as to whether that is what they meant, or if they meant something else.
Old Jun 8th 2020, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder how many of us wonder when we see Trudeau walk back into his house after the morning briefings and question and non answer period we hope there isn't a cat or a dog within kicking distance
Old Jun 8th 2020, 4:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I won't tell my husband's family that you said that. His brothers-in-law, nieces and nephews are all Mohawks.

P.S. As are his sons and daughter and his granddaughters and grandson. His first wife was 100% Lakota. Therefore his children are 50% Lakota.
Where I was going was that the aboriginal people in Canada are "raciallised", that is. marked out as members of a separate and lesser ethnic group, from birth. I don't think they would be supportive of the idea that there's a moment of "racialization".

Old Jun 8th 2020, 4:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

So, if a black person tells me I have white privilege, have they racialized me?
I would guess not but we're talking about the perceptions of cradles, I don't think that's something one can understand without being one.

It seems that ignoring the local media has served me well I've never heard anyone say "racialized" and I hear the Canadian Prime Minister speak every couple of years when something happens in Canada and it's referenced on the BBC. If it's irksome why bother with it?
Old Jun 8th 2020, 5:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I would guess that it is the 6/20 post-Floyd parallel to "radicalized" as applied to muslims who take up weapons against degenerate westerners, or anyone else who doesn't subscribe to their vison of islam.
Old Jun 8th 2020, 7:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I would guess not but we're talking about the perceptions of cradles, I don't think that's something one can understand without being one.

It seems that ignoring the local media has served me well I've never heard anyone say "racialized" and I hear the Canadian Prime Minister speak every couple of years when something happens in Canada and it's referenced on the BBC. If it's irksome why bother with it?
This isn't aimed at you but I am genuinely trying to understand what they mean.

Unfortunately, I have to appear in Court and, therefore, I have to give the impression that I know what they mean when they use such terms. I once tried, "Pardon me My Lady, do you mean "burgled", when you state "burglarized" as I have no idea what that actually means?" didn't go down too well when I once tried it!
Old Jun 8th 2020, 7:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I would guess that it is the 6/20 post-Floyd parallel to "radicalized" as applied to muslims who take up weapons against degenerate westerners, or anyone else who doesn't subscribe to their vison of islam.
So you think it refers to people who are fixated with race and there's an implied suggestion that their fixation leads them to do bad things. Like the Black Panthers, for example. In this reading does it apply also the Klan and other "fine people" or is it only non-whites who can be racialized? Is the expresion used on Fox?
Old Jun 9th 2020, 2:05 am
Assimilated Pauper

Racial discrimination, race and racism (fact sheet) | Ontario Human Rights Commission

'the Commission describes people as “racialized person” or “racialized group” instead of the more outdated and inaccurate terms “racial minority”. “visible minority”, “person of colour” or “non-White”'

So, in Ontario anyway, it's just someone who isn't white. I guess if you are white and subject to some sort of discrimination through belief, you are a religionized person, through disability, a disableized person, through orientation, a LGBTQIAized person and, through pomposity, a governmentalized person.
Old Jun 9th 2020, 7:06 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I noted that odd word in Justin's speech too? I took it as being seen in racial terms, a neologism of ethnic minority...oops I mean visible minority.
Old Jun 9th 2020, 7:37 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Where I was going was that the aboriginal people in Canada are "raciallised", that is. marked out as members of a separate and lesser ethnic group, from birth. I don't think they would be supportive of the idea that there's a moment of "racialization".
I suppose the word "lesser" depends on who is doing the so called racializing ? Certainly the indigenous people are active in maintaining their own distinct racial exclusivity.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.