Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Question for those who own Winter Tires...

Question for those who own Winter Tires...

Old Oct 9th 2008, 4:30 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question for those who own Winter Tires...

I bought my brand name winter tires from this US website http://www.tirerack.com/

They came mounted on 16" steel rims,
Balanced,
with 20 wheel nuts,
Shipping, GST & all duties included

and they were still a few hundred cheaper than the Crappy tire no name brand. There was no form filling for shipping duties as everything is incuded at the point of sale.

All I had to do was jack my car up and put them on.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 4:54 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
I bought my brand name winter tires from this US website http://www.tirerack.com/

They came mounted on 16" steel rims,
Balanced,
with 20 wheel nuts,
Shipping, GST & all duties included

and they were still a few hundred cheaper than the Crappy tire no name brand. There was no form filling for shipping duties as everything is incuded at the point of sale.

All I had to do was jack my car up and put them on.
There is a canadian mail order place out in BC www.tiretrends.com that was marginally chaper than tirerack as being in Ontario I avoided PST and brokerage fees that you get with buying from the US through TireRack. It probably depends on the exchange rate on any given day, but I prefered to support a canadian firm.

TireTrends also stock OEM honda steel wheels, which TireRack dont seem to, so they will likely get my business this time again. The local Honda Dealer was not too bad, They were only $50 more for a set of X-Ice.

Im looking at a shade over $900 for blizzacs and wheels from them including all taxes and shipping

Last edited by iaink; Oct 9th 2008 at 4:59 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 5:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
There is a canadian mail order place out in BC www.tiretrends.com that was marginally chaper than tirerack as being in Ontario I avoided PST and brokerage fees that you get with buying from the US through TireRack. It probably depends on the exchange rate on any given day, but I prefered to support a canadian firm.

TireTrends also stock OEM honda steel wheels, which TireRack dont seem to, so they will likely get my business this time again. The local Honda Dealer was not too bad, They were only $50 more for a set of X-Ice.

Im looking at a shade over $900 for blizzacs and wheels from them including all taxes and shipping

Honda Canadar recently sent a flyer quoting $600 or so for winter tyres and wheels for a Civic. It might be worth checking with a dealership.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

lauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to all

Hi all

Can I ask when you should change out to winter tyres? OH is a nurse working shifts in a rural facility so I intend to get her some decent winter tyres. I guess because the issue has come up people are thinking about it but what signs should I be looking for that its time to change over?

We are in Okotoks so not too much snow on the horizon yet but we did have a flurry yesterday.

Cheers
Tom
Old Oct 9th 2008, 5:08 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Honda Canadar recently sent a flyer quoting $600 or so for winter tyres and wheels for a Civic. It might be worth checking with a dealership.
They never sent it to me. I just spoke to the local stealership, thats where I got the $950 for 15" Michelins from

I imagine $600 might be for their cheapest tyre offering (bloody awful Goodridge Winter Slaloms) in a 14" size not including the 13% tax, but Ill check it out thanks.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 9th 2008 at 5:13 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 5:09 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Costco sell tires. Worth a look
Old Oct 9th 2008, 5:10 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by lauder99
Hi all

Can I ask when you should change out to winter tyres? OH is a nurse working shifts in a rural facility so I intend to get her some decent winter tyres. I guess because the issue has come up people are thinking about it but what signs should I be looking for that its time to change over?

We are in Okotoks so not too much snow on the horizon yet but we did have a flurry yesterday.

Cheers
Tom
It will depend where you are. When do the locals expect the first decent dump of snow? Get them on a week before that I would say.

We all got caught out here in Ontario lat year as we got dumped on earlier than usual. Im thinking to get them on by December where I am, but you will probably be ahead of that if you are seing flurries already.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 5:11 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lauder99
Hi all

Cheers
Tom
It's pretty simple here. Winter tyres are a legal requirement from 15 Nov to 15 April.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 5:14 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

I imagine $600 might be for their cheapest tyre offering (bloody awful Goodridge Winter Slaloms) in a 14" size not including the 13% tax, but Ill check it out thanks.
Is that your local dealer dbd?

14" Winter slaloms for $640ish?

http://www.number7honda.com/WT.pdf
Old Oct 9th 2008, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

lauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to all

Thanks guys.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

tallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Souvenir
It's pretty simple here. Winter tyres are a legal requirement from 15 Nov to 15 April.
And actually it has been changed to December 15th so we get an extra month...

http://www.mtq.gouv.qc.ca/portal/pag...iver#mandatory
Old Oct 9th 2008, 5:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Is that your local dealer dbd?

14" Winter slaloms for $640ish?

http://www.number7honda.com/WT.pdf
That sounds like the price. The flyer was stamped with the name of a Honda dealer I once went to in Guelph (actually I went there 11 times but it was just for a routine service, it should have been once). When I called them they said they knew nothing and that it came from Honda Canada.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 5:28 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Get them on a week before that I would say.
...and pay premium price as you are deservedly gouged like a roundly stuck pig.

Buy early = save cash.

R.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 5:44 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tallperson
And actually it has been changed to December 15th so we get an extra month...

http://www.mtq.gouv.qc.ca/portal/pag...iver#mandatory
Didn't know that. Thanks.

Hopefully we won't need them until mid-December. I can dream can't I?
Old Oct 9th 2008, 5:45 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Rich_007
...and pay premium price as you are deservedly gouged like a roundly stuck pig.

Buy early = save cash.

R.
The question was when to put them on, not when to buy them Rich

Thats another advantage of having them on a second set of rims...if you need to do it in a hurry you are not at the mercy of a garage fitting you in with the rush as the first snow falls. Buy early, fit them yourself at your leasure. (as long as the old ones arent siezed on!)

Trying to buy winter tires in the summer though is not that easy, I looked and it was worse than looking now. Prices were no better and no-one had the stock to choose from. Prices are lower in the spring, but the downside is choice is limited.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 9th 2008 at 5:51 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.