Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Question for the dog people

Question for the dog people

Old Sep 9th 2009, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Question for the dog people

So, my son got this goldendoodle puppy on August 1st. I think I mentioned that he got Parvo on August 5th, but he has been over that for three weeks now. He just will not stay quiet in his crate.

Unfortunately, nobody guessed he was going to be this difficult. My son has a duplex and he doesn't want to annoy the neighbours, so he is stuck bringing the dog here when he goes out!! He is not best pleased about it -- neither am I. I like the dog, but I don't want another dog and I'm not sure how long this is going to go on. I think the dog is just wants to get his own way. Someone said its more "I don't want to go in the crate" than "Please don't leave me." He was sleeping at the top of my stairs and I went out in the garden and out of sight, and he never made a sound and he never came to look out the deck doors! But when I repeated the process and put him in his crate, I had only been out of the deck door about 10 seconds before he started the yipping.

So, I don't think it separation anxiety when he doesn't care if you leave him so long as he is not in his crate.

My son said he tried for two days - he put the dog in his crate and went out and sat on the front steps for 45 minutes and the dog cried the whole time!! My son has to go to work. He can't leave the dog there in case he howls the whole time he is at work and while his neighbours are nice, I doubt they would be nice if they had to put up with 4 hours of dog howling!!

I am going to have the dog here this afternoon. I am going to try shutting him in the downstairs bathroom with a dog gate. I don't have decent cabinets down there so it doesn't really matter. Then I am going to set the alarm. Drive away and go around the back and creep in the back gate to see if he is howling! I am suspicious that sometimes dogs listen for the car - so I am going to replicate going away for several hourse and see what happens.

Of course, I don't know anything about dog psychology - whether he might be quiet at my house and not at my son's???? As my son said "If I had a house rather than a duplex, I would just go out and leave him howling." At both houses he has kongs and nylabones and chew toys.

What we want is obviously for my son to be able to get the dog happy and quiet in his crate so my son can go out for several hours, without the dog driving the neighbours batty.

There are lots of dog experts on here. I wonder if any have advice.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 6:43 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question for the dog people

Originally Posted by Purley
So, my son got this goldendoodle puppy on August 1st. I think I mentioned that he got Parvo on August 5th, but he has been over that for three weeks now. He just will not stay quiet in his crate.

Unfortunately, nobody guessed he was going to be this difficult. My son has a duplex and he doesn't want to annoy the neighbours, so he is stuck bringing the dog here when he goes out!! He is not best pleased about it -- neither am I. I like the dog, but I don't want another dog and I'm not sure how long this is going to go on. I think the dog is just wants to get his own way. Someone said its more "I don't want to go in the crate" than "Please don't leave me." He was sleeping at the top of my stairs and I went out in the garden and out of sight, and he never made a sound and he never came to look out the deck doors! But when I repeated the process and put him in his crate, I had only been out of the deck door about 10 seconds before he started the yipping.

So, I don't think it separation anxiety when he doesn't care if you leave him so long as he is not in his crate.

My son said he tried for two days - he put the dog in his crate and went out and sat on the front steps for 45 minutes and the dog cried the whole time!! My son has to go to work. He can't leave the dog there in case he howls the whole time he is at work and while his neighbours are nice, I doubt they would be nice if they had to put up with 4 hours of dog howling!!

I am going to have the dog here this afternoon. I am going to try shutting him in the downstairs bathroom with a dog gate. I don't have decent cabinets down there so it doesn't really matter. Then I am going to set the alarm. Drive away and go around the back and creep in the back gate to see if he is howling! I am suspicious that sometimes dogs listen for the car - so I am going to replicate going away for several hourse and see what happens.

Of course, I don't know anything about dog psychology - whether he might be quiet at my house and not at my son's???? As my son said "If I had a house rather than a duplex, I would just go out and leave him howling." At both houses he has kongs and nylabones and chew toys.

What we want is obviously for my son to be able to get the dog happy and quiet in his crate so my son can go out for several hours, without the dog driving the neighbours batty.

There are lots of dog experts on here. I wonder if any have advice.
Sorry Purley - no advice but a wonderful mental picutre of you creeping up on the dog
Old Sep 9th 2009, 6:48 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Why does the dog have to go into the crate when your son goes out?
Old Sep 9th 2009, 6:50 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Why does the dog have to go into the crate when your son goes out?
words mouth taken out of
Old Sep 9th 2009, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Because he is just a puppy and my son just installed maple hardwood floors that he doesn't want chewed up and he has electrical cords going to the television and the computer etc. etc. He doesn't want his house wrecked or the dog electrocuted!

And the most the dog would be alone would be three hours because my granddaughter can go home at lunch time to let him out and then she is done school at 3. Or I could go over there if she is busy at lunch time. But even so, he could destroy the house in three hours. Of course, when he is older and doesn't chew things, he will have free run of the house.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 6:54 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Because he is just a puppy and my son just installed maple hardwood floors that he doesn't want chewed up and he has electrical cords going to the television and the computer etc. etc. He doesn't want his house wrecked or the dog electrocuted!

And the most the dog would be alone would be three hours because my granddaughter can go home at lunch time to let him out and then she is done school at 3. Or I could go over there if she is busy at lunch time. But even so, he could destroy the house in three hours. Of course, when he is older and doesn't chew things, he will have free run of the house.
Yet you left him alone in the house and he slept at the top of the stairs?
Old Sep 9th 2009, 7:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a small room your son could leave him in where he can't do much damage? Laundry rooms are usually ideal or even a downstairs toilet/powder room.

I once read not to make a big thing about leaving can help. I never say goodbye to my dogs...I just give them a biscuit then leave while they are eating it.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Yet you left him alone in the house and he slept at the top of the stairs?
I went out in the garden!! I was gone maybe 5-7 minutes. He's only three months old - I doubt he could eat a table in 5 minutes. I wouldn't leave him alone in my house and go away. Even my little dog chewed my table legs and the wood at the top of the stairs when he was a puppy.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Is there a small room your son could leave him in where he can't do much damage? Laundry rooms are usually ideal or even a downstairs toilet/powder room.
I am going to try that next. I've taken everything dangerous, toilet bowl cleaner etc. etc out of the cabinet in the downstairs bathroom and I am going to try using the dog gate to shut him in there -- see my first post!

If it works here, my son will try that next. Has to buy a dog gate first!
Old Sep 9th 2009, 7:26 pm
Banned

I went out in the garden!! I was gone maybe 5-7 minutes. He's only three months old - I doubt he could eat a table in 5 minutes. I wouldn't leave him alone in my house and go away. Even my little dog chewed my table legs and the wood at the top of the stairs when he was a puppy.
At three months old I doubt he could (seriously) damage anything . The point really is that the dog (apparently) dislikes going in the crate. Two options 'train' him that going in the crate is not a bad thing ( I imagine the only time he is put in the crate is when your 'family' leaves him alone) OR just leave him to 'roam free'. Believe me IF he is going to howl he will howl for as long as it takes for someone to come home. BTW the dog is probably not as dumb as you think and will 'be aware' that you are sneaking through the back gate.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 7:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to try that next. I've taken everything dangerous, toilet bowl cleaner etc. etc out of the cabinet in the downstairs bathroom and I am going to try using the dog gate to shut him in there -- see my first post!

If it works here, my son will try that next. Has to buy a dog gate first!
Leave a radio or TV on...so he doesn't feel lonely...it can help. Also if the pup cries at night a ticking clock can help. In the past I've put a pup in the laundry room and set the timer on the dryer...so all it hears is the ticking sound. It's supposed to represent the beating of the mother's heart.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 7:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
At three months old I doubt he could (seriously) damage anything . The point really is that the dog (apparently) dislikes going in the crate. Two options 'train' him that going in the crate is not a bad thing ( I imagine the only time he is put in the crate is when your 'family' leaves him alone) OR just leave him to 'roam free'. Believe me IF he is going to howl he will howl for as long as it takes for someone to come home. BTW the dog is probably not as dumb as you think and will 'be aware' that you are sneaking through the back gate.
I had a doberman pup that could just about damage anything it put it's mind to.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 7:34 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I had a doberman pup that could just about damage anything it put it's mind to.
At 12 weeks?

I've had a Mini schnauzer that ate\scratched THROUGH a door at 6 months and a JR that ate a WHOLE barstool leg at 5 months, but Nothing that did (serious) damage at 12 weeks.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 7:36 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

He needs to want to go in the crate - make it a place of choice for him, so he feels happy and secure in it. Leave treats, chew toys etc in there so he uses it on his own accord, rather than as a place he's locked into at your convenience.

We crate trained our border collie pup, and he happily wanders in and out of it, often choosing it as a place for a snooze rather than the rest of the house. Don't give in to some whining, whimpering or barking - once you've given in to him he'll realize that he can easy get your attention by that method.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 7:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

We always feed in the crate, I think that helps with making it an attractive place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.