Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Quebec City Mosque Attack

Quebec City Mosque Attack

Old Jan 30th 2017, 3:17 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quebec City Mosque Attack

Originally Posted by not2old

the Canadian justice system, aren't we nice eh!

Better to be in the comfort of a Canadian prison than back home in Sri-Lanka
Almost as nice as we were on the only person who served time for the Air India bombing.

Killed 330 people, served his 30 years, now he is out.

God knows what he would have got had he been tried in the US of A.
Old Jan 30th 2017, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I can see, police/authorities have not confirmed the identities of suspects, but I do accept that several reputable news outlets are running with the names.

The AB being mentioned is not Moroccan. MK may not be either, we don't effing know at the moment: how hard is it for people to understand the difference between "may be of Moroccan origin", and Moroccan? NOT targeting anyone here, by the way. It may be true, who knows right now??

(I accept that I may be rather touchy on the above points - have second generation Canadian friends who are sick of being asked "where do you come from?" because of physical appearance.)
Old Jan 30th 2017, 3:52 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
As far as I can see, police/authorities have not confirmed the identities of suspects, but I do accept that several reputable news outlets are running with the names.

The AB being mentioned is not Moroccan. MK may not be either, we don't effing know at the moment: how hard is it for people to understand the difference between "may be of Moroccan origin", and Moroccan? NOT targeting anyone here, by the way. It may be true, who knows right now??

(I accept that I may be rather touchy on the above points - have second generation Canadian friends who are sick of being asked "where do you come from?" because of physical appearance.)
"A Quebec court clerk has confirmed the names of the suspects to be Alexandre Bissonnette and Mohamed el Khadir." - CBC
Old Jan 30th 2017, 4:06 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback

And Bissonette may be Quebecois, there are thousands of them out there . It looks like La Presse made the initial revelations about who they were long before the news conference and deleted it on update, and the police decided not to confirm that even though they admitted the information had been made available. I have a 1st generation Moroccan friend named Mohammed and he'd probably tell you to chill out. Speculation based on evidence as it becomes known is natural and logical. Today it will probably go court appearance, charges, news conference, and a little more will come out. The profile of Canadian attackers so far has been generally home-grown, self-radicalised, emotionally unstable, and both may check these boxes, we'll find out within a few days.
Old Jan 30th 2017, 4:10 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
"A Quebec court clerk has confirmed the names of the suspects to be Alexandre Bissonnette and Mohamed el Khadir." - CBC
Not that I believe everything I read on unknown websites, but this website is reporting that he turned himself in 17 minutes after the shooting because he felt guilty.

Alexandre Bissonnette: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

Hopefully he finds an understanding boyfriend, I mean cellmate, in prison.
Old Jan 30th 2017, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you.
Old Jan 30th 2017, 4:29 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

CBC is now reporting that one of those arrested was the attacker and the other was a witness. Given that AB turned himself in and was armed, it would appear that he was the one doing the shooting.
Old Jan 30th 2017, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

CBC is now reporting that one of those arrested was the attacker and the other was a witness. Given that AB turned himself in and was armed, it would appear that he was the one doing the shooting.
Because it's unknown which person was the suspect we have removed the names from our coverage.
- CBC live blog.
Old Jan 30th 2017, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Oh look with more information becoming available one of the arrested is now a witness. Good job we don't have a trial by media isn't it or as someone suggested have them deported if they can be without a trial although tbf they did establish he was a witness within the 24 hour suggested period.
Old Jan 30th 2017, 5:21 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

CBC is now reporting that one of those arrested was the attacker and the other was a witness.
Poor guy. All he tries to do is the right thing and people publish reports of him being a potential murderer.

Hopefully he is going to be compensated for this.
Old Jan 30th 2017, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

Ebonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Poor guy. All he tries to do is the right thing and people publish reports of him being a potential murderer.

Hopefully he is going to be compensated for this.
To keep your sanity, don't go to any US alt-right news sites - they had 'legit' stories that the shooter was a Syrian refugee, or that the violence was Shia on Sunni, or that it was a conspiracy by Trudeau to generate more sympathy for Muslims to undermine Trump, etc., etc., etc.

While information has been slower in forthcoming than some people may like, at least the Canadian coverage that I've seen has been trying to stay on point with known facts, rather than speculation.
Old Jan 30th 2017, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

I feel sorry for anyone called AB today - a quick check through social media brings up some wild, hysterical and frankly hateful stuff with idiots posting links to SM accounts of random ABs . I haven't checked for MK, but suspect it's possible similar is happening .
Old Jan 30th 2017, 5:38 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

When I turned in the street I thought I noticed red paint on the new step built at the back of the mosque on the corner. Oh no, I thought and went back. It was new vandalism but doesn't appear to be hate-related. Marie. Thank goodness.
Old Jan 30th 2017, 5:41 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ebonhawke
To keep your sanity, don't go to any US alt-right news sites - .
I looked at a couple that were really out there, and clicked on someone called Brother Don or similar on youtube, utterly fantastic.
Old Jan 30th 2017, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by caretaker
When I turned in the street I thought I noticed red paint on the new step built at the back of the mosque on the corner. Oh no, I thought and went back. It was new vandalism but doesn't appear to be hate-related. Marie. Thank goodness.
It's all a bit nuts today .
We don't have an official mosque here (not Qc City), but the house that's used for prayer gatherings (don't know if that's the correct term) has police at the end of the street.

Local Synagogue has very visible police presence outside.

I'm in very small town Qc, if anyone wonders. Our local racist nutters don't tend to differentiate between different types of "foreigners" or religious beliefs .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.