Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Quebec!!! It’s wonderful!

Quebec!!! It’s wonderful!

Old Sep 22nd 2019, 10:40 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Quebec!!! It’s wonderful!

So finally after 7 long hot and cold years in Fredericton, my son can look after the house and my husband finally popped to visit us, and he and I are on holiday in Quebec City. What a bloody revelation! It felt like coming home. A more wonderful city I haven’t visited...for the last 7 years! There are beautiful boulevards...with trees in the middle...the architecture is upmarket, downmarket, and just wonderfully eclectic! It feels like a ‘proper’ City...albeit a small one.

It was faster for me to drive here than go to Halifax...but it was like going to another country... Oh dear heaven the food is fantastic, the supermarkets are incredible...and they aren’t even trying to be.

We have good products in NB, but it’s an adventure to get them. Here, it’s very nearly like France... people want good products and they won’t be fobbed off with rubbish...even Costco had local cheeses and Confit of Duck...and I can’t get that in Fredericton. In the supermarket tonight we spotted Lamb shanks in Red Wine and Rabbit and Rosemary sausages...I may have died and gone to heaven

This is definitely going to be on my couple of long weekends away per year list!!! Just getting away has been good.

A couple of random thoughts...the squirrels here are black? I looked it up and it’s a generic mutation, but odd, it just isn’t squirrel coloured!

I think that the weather must ultimately be better overall as the plants and trees are far long term more healthy looking than those in my bit of NB, and people seem to have beautiful house plants in the windows, and we just don’t get enough light.
Old Sep 22nd 2019, 10:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quebec!!! It’s wonderful!

If I could speak French, I would try living in Quebec somewhere, seems overall not a bad place.

Quebec City is on my list of places to visit, seems like a nice city from what I read and the photos I have seen.

Glad your having a nice vacation.
Old Sep 22nd 2019, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
A couple of random thoughts...the squirrels here are black? I looked it up and it’s a generic mutation, but odd, it just isn’t squirrel coloured!
squirrels here in SW Ontario are either grey or black. They definitely dont get on with each other!
Old Sep 22nd 2019, 11:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

The overnight train journey puts me off. Not sure I could sleep well enough. The fare is just over $400 for two.
The viarail website invites you to look at the cabin prices because "it might not be as much as you think."

And they're right. I certainly wouldn't think $400 would turn into $1600 for a cabin both ways. That's $600 a night. It's cheaper to stay at the Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac.
Old Sep 22nd 2019, 11:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

Quebec City is on my list of places to visit, seems like a nice city from what I read and the photos I have seen.
Oh, it's a great place. Very cold and snowy in the winter though. We went a few times for the carnival, loved the glissade and the walking sticks.
Old Sep 22nd 2019, 11:59 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

And they're right. I certainly wouldn't think $400 would turn into $1600 for a cabin both ways. That's $600 a night. It's cheaper to stay at the Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac.
The Frontenac looks splendiferous! We are in a VRBO...that is also pretty splendid! But many less pennies!

Based on an afternoon studying clouds, on my back in the grass, there are less chubby children and far fewer obese adults than in NB.
Old Sep 23rd 2019, 12:10 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Based on an afternoon studying clouds, on my back in the grass, there are less chubby children and far fewer obese adults than in NB.

Definitely noticed that here after 9 months in Montreal.

Lamb Shanks with a rosemary sauce is what I miss from Sainsburys. I just have to do my own thing with the frozen ones here.

Have you done Dolma Foods here? Not sure if you've been since they reopened. Or Les Gourmandes?
Some of the stuff there is expensive but they do things not really available elsewhere. The fishmarket shop near Dolma is pretty good too.

Old Sep 23rd 2019, 12:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

The overnight train journey puts me off. Not sure I could sleep well enough. The fare is just over $400 for two.
The viarail website invites you to look at the cabin prices because "it might not be as much as you think."

I took Via Toronto to Vancouver in coach (I paid not even $100, lucked out off season, and last minute sale) but really coach on Via really isn't bad, I slept well, met nice people, and had a good time. I am not even sure the cost of a sleeper is worth it to be honest, yeah food is included but dang the premium is always so much higher.

I am a light sleeper and can't generally even sleep on airplanes, but I slept well on Via, I think the movement of the train helped. It was honestly not bad at all and I would do it again.
Old Sep 23rd 2019, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Quebec City and Montreal are both incredible cities, would heartily recommend visits.

Weather-wise, I'd be concerned about the summer humidity and winter cold for living in either (and my partner's refusal to contemplate learning French beyond "Je nerrr comprendiez we're-in-Canada-speak-English ooooh-I-know-'flocons'-is-on-the-side-of-cereal!" is something of a dealbreaker for long-term )
Old Sep 23rd 2019, 7:38 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

So glad you made it there Millie. I've always wondered why you didn't explore a bit more of the Great White North.
Old Sep 23rd 2019, 7:54 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I took Via Toronto to Vancouver in coach...I am a light sleeper and can't generally even sleep on airplanes, but I slept well on Via, I think the movement of the train helped. It was honestly not bad at all and I would do it again.
I'm not good sleeping on my back and that's what I'd be doing unless the seats went flat.

I'm toying with the idea of here to Halifax at some stage. At least I could try it for comfort for a bit.

Old Sep 23rd 2019, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Any reason why you wouldn't fly?
Old Sep 23rd 2019, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

So finally after 7 long hot and cold years in Fredericton, my son can look after the house and my husband finally popped to visit us, and he and I are on holiday in Quebec City. What a bloody revelation! It felt like coming home. A more wonderful city I haven’t visited...for the last 7 years! There are beautiful boulevards...with trees in the middle...the architecture is upmarket, downmarket, and just wonderfully eclectic! It feels like a ‘proper’ City...albeit a small one.
Probably my favourite Canadian city to visit. However, once you get away from the walled areas of the City it quickly gets very suburban.

https://goo.gl/maps/WBrC6sBUZE3jFoTx5

There must have been a sale on above ground pools

Restaurant Aux Anciens Canadiens - Dans le Vieux-Québec - Gastronomie québécoise et gibiers This restaurant is good value, albeit full of tourists.
Old Sep 24th 2019, 12:18 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Any reason why you wouldn't fly?
That's an option. But I want to do a train journey and it's always nicer to arrive in the city than to have to transfer from an airport..

Of course with Nice you can fly and arrive in the City. Pretty much. Toronto too.

Old Sep 24th 2019, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Red face Re: Quebec!!! It’s wonderful!

That's an option. But I want to do a train journey and it's always nicer to arrive in the city than to have to transfer from an airport..

Of course with Nice you can fly and arrive in the City. Pretty much. Toronto too.
I have a feeling after going by train from Moncton to Quebec City you would look into airline tickets for the flight back.

Yes, Nice Airport is very close to the City and now the tram line that was u/c when I was there parallel with the Promenade d'Anglais extends to the airport.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.