Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

PR's don't want to pledge

PR's don't want to pledge

Old Jul 15th 2013, 4:24 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR's don't want to pledge

Originally Posted by Shard
Too many responses on here are along the lines of "that's how we have always done it - take it or leave it," when in fact the oath is an anachronism and there are genuine reasons to object to it.
Bit like saying the wedding ceremony is an anachronism and there are genuine reasons to object to it.

It's a voluntary thing, if you don't want to do it, don't do it. Of course it is ceremonial and everything involving ceremony can be seen as a waste of time, if you look at everything as being purely practical.

And the Lord said unto Satan, man does not live by bread alone. Luke 4:4

Human beings are a bit more sophisticated than the purely practical.

Aren't nation states themselves an anachronism?
Old Jul 15th 2013, 4:30 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Bit like saying the wedding ceremony is an anachronism and there are genuine reasons to object to it.

It's a voluntary thing, if you don't want to do it, don't do it. Of course it is ceremonial and everything involving ceremony can be seen as a waste of time, if you look at everything as being purely practical.
Quite different though because you can still get married and choose to omit the archaic stuff.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 4:53 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Or you can choose not to get married.

The whole thing may be symbolic but sometimes symbolism is important.

Having taken an oath to the Queen in the military, it definitely was important and legally binding.

You make it a big deal to reinforce in the minds of people that it is a big deal - because it is.

Do you want for example someone serving on a jury who didn't take an oath seriously when they're in a setting where oaths are extremely important?

Would you trust someone taking an oath of office if they made a stink about the oath of citizenship?

Going on about the Queen as a person I always think is pointless, from a legal standpoint it's do with the constitutional role, she's the head of state but all the people underneath her have essentially delegated powers under Acts of Parliament she assented to. What you're pledging is to follow the rule of law.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 5:40 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

What you're pledging is to follow the rule of law.
So why not just have that?

It would be interesting to see what would happen if pledging loyalty to the queen was made part of a Canadian passport application.

I mean, if people didn't like it they could simply not apply for a passport.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 5:52 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Going on about the Queen as a person I always think is pointless, from a legal standpoint it's do with the constitutional role, she's the head of state but all the people underneath her have essentially delegated powers under Acts of Parliament she assented to. What you're pledging is to follow the rule of law.
That's a good point. So wouldn't it be so much more straight forward and indeed, effective to simply pledge to follow the rule of law?
Old Jul 15th 2013, 6:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

That's a good point. So wouldn't it be so much more straight forward and indeed, effective to simply pledge to follow the rule of law?
One of the laws being: that to obtain citizenship, one must pledge allegiance to the Queen
Old Jul 15th 2013, 6:53 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

So wouldn't it be so much more straight forward and indeed, effective to simply pledge to follow the rule of law?
Because like I said, some things need symbolism, this is one of them.

Otherwise it would end up being like this: http://www.thecomedynetwork.ca/Shows...Package=135821

(Watch clip 2 of 4, hit the move forward button).
Old Jul 16th 2013, 11:30 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Because like I said, some things need symbolism, this is one of them.

Otherwise it would end up being like this: http://www.thecomedynetwork.ca/Shows...Package=135821

(Watch clip 2 of 4, hit the move forward button).
Couldn't see the content (unfortunately). Somehow the commercials streamed perfectly. Funny that.

The problem I see with the "symbolism" is that for the non-believers, pledging allegiance to someone they view with suspicion/derision or whatever, will have the effect of undermining the pledge. For example if were asked to pledge to do something in the name of God, for me that pledge would be meaningless as I don't believe in the old fella; if it were to pledge to follow some set of principles, I would take it slightly more seriously. Perhaps I am splitting hairs here, and as it happens I'm not anti-monarchy, but I do see the argument against a royal pledge that some make.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light

Couldn't see the content (unfortunately). Somehow the commercials streamed perfectly. Funny that.

The problem I see with the "symbolism" is that for the non-believers, pledging allegiance to someone they view with suspicion/derision or whatever, will have the effect of undermining the pledge. For example if were asked to pledge to do something in the name of God, for me that pledge would be meaningless as I don't believe in the old fella; if it were to pledge to follow some set of principles, I would take it slightly more seriously. Perhaps I am splitting hairs here, and as it happens I'm not anti-monarchy, but I do see the argument against a royal pledge that some make.
I agree.

If I had to say the whole pledge then I would, but if I could leave out the queen part (hey, there's an idea; make it optional ), the oath would actually mean something to me and I could imagine taking pride in it.

If I couldn't leave it out then I could still take pride in achieving citizenship, and probably the event, but certainly not the oath. I would resent having to say it.

But anyway, enough of my reasonable attitude and back to my normal line....... I didn't vote for her!
Old Jul 16th 2013, 12:51 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scribe123
I agree.

If I had to say the whole pledge then I would, but if I could leave out the queen part (hey, there's an idea; make it optional ), the oath would actually mean something to me and I could imagine taking pride in it.

If I couldn't leave it out then I could still take pride in achieving citizenship, and probably the event, but certainly not the oath. I would resent having to say it.

But anyway, enough of my reasonable attitude and back to my normal line....... I didn't vote for her!
I found it a little odd to make the oath, given my background, but it didn't bother me. It's just a formality. I really don't see why it is an issue for people.

I found singing the national anthem odder. The anglo version is daft, considering the circumstances of the occasion. I sang/mangled the franco version.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 5:36 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

The problem I see with the "symbolism" is that for the non-believers, pledging allegiance to someone they view with suspicion/derision or whatever, will have the effect of undermining the pledge.
I think the point I am making perhaps badly is that the Queen is a symbol, representing a system of law, which is why at the start of British Acts of Parliament it says: Be it enacted and declared by the Queen's Most Excellent Majesty...

I'm sure she has no idea what the law means or even says most of the time. Who she is or what she does as an individual doesn't really matter. It's just a way of describing a legal system that has existed for centuries.

Everyone keeps going on about the Australian oath, but the New Zealand oath is basically identical to the Canadian one. As so is Jamaica's. But at the end of the day even with the Australian oath the Queen is still the head of state.

All I can say is that's it a hell of a lot simpler than the American oath.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

All I can say is that's it a hell of a lot simpler than the American oath.

You mean like I pledge allegiance to the flag and will go kick ass in any country you send me to and will buy as many guns as I legally can own sort of thing?
Old Jul 16th 2013, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

If these people are so bothered by the oath, they can publicly recant the portion where they swear allegiance to the Queen afterwards, much like this guy (last paragraph). Nobody is going to come along and take their Citizenship away if they did that.

But, as others have said, Canada is very generous with it's Citizenship compared to other countries and having to swear an oath is not really much to ask. I get the impression it's really just vestigial at this point.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Is it true that you can't claim your pension if you haven't taken citizenship? Sounds wrong but this is what a PR of 40+ years told me and said she would need to get it before she retired...
Old Jul 17th 2013, 2:00 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Is it true that you can't claim your pension if you haven't taken citizenship? Sounds wrong but this is what a PR of 40+ years told me and said she would need to get it before she retired...
Citizen or legal resident I believe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.