Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

PR's don't want to pledge

PR's don't want to pledge

Old Jul 13th 2013, 3:44 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR's don't want to pledge

How about pledging to Tim Hortons? That would probably be more appropriate.

All those non believers...would you apply then?
Old Jul 13th 2013, 6:15 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
How about pledging to Tim Hortons? That would probably be more appropriate.

All those non believers...would you apply then?
Oh, yes. I believe in capitalism. Possibly.

Actually this thread has a lot in common with Timmies, it's distasteful, very Canadian, pointless and out of date.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Jul 13th 2013 at 6:18 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2013, 7:05 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

What happens if England plays a world cup game (rugby or football) against Canada?

Does one risk losing citizenship by supporting England? Or will siding with Canada at the next Commonwealth Games absolve one from any action?

Old Jul 13th 2013, 8:03 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

What happens if England plays a world cup game (rugby or football) against Canada?

Does one risk losing citizenship by supporting England? Or will siding with Canada at the next Commonwealth Games absolve one from any action?

Just pretend you're Scottish.
Old Jul 13th 2013, 10:12 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Oh, yes. I believe in capitalism. Possibly.

Actually this thread has a lot in common with Timmies, it's distasteful, very Canadian, pointless and out of date.
Ich bin ein Bearclaw! Rules are rules.
Old Jul 13th 2013, 10:35 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by caretaker
Rules are rules.
Where would we be if they'd never been changed?

We'd still be hanging people for stealing sheep, no votes for women, nor indeed men unless they owned land (that was how it used to be wasn't it?) national service, medical treatment only for those who can pay, segregation, slave ownership, the workhouse, unmarried mums locked up..........
Old Jul 14th 2013, 12:33 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scribe123
And before people start to say she's just a figurehead, in the UK she has an incredible amount of power (not sure about canada). Now if she exercised that power to the full extent I'm sure there would be a revolution, but none the less, she has a lot of power.
She has zero power, the last time a monarch refused to sign a bill (which is about the only real power she still has) was when Queen Victoria refused to sign a bill dealing with Catholic rights back in the 1870s, iirc from school (i'm sure it's on the web somewhere).

There wouldn't be a revolution, Parliament would just strip the power pdq if the Queen ever dared to use it.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 12:34 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway personally I have no problem with the oath at all, the main thing I like about it is that it is short, so the limitations of my French pronunciation were not too obvious.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

national service, unmarried mums locked up..........
only two i'd bring back
Old Jul 14th 2013, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

mdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to behold

The whole concept of pledging allegiance to a monarch in this day and age is utterly bizarre. I'm sure she's a nice old woman and all that but I feel no "allegiance" to her whatsoever and I do have sympathy with their views. However, it wouldn't really bother me too much and I would just take the stupid oath anyway.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Steve_
She has zero power, the last time a monarch refused to sign a bill (which is about the only real power she still has) was when Queen Victoria refused to sign a bill dealing with Catholic rights back in the 1870s, iirc from school (i'm sure it's on the web somewhere).

There wouldn't be a revolution, Parliament would just strip the power pdq if the Queen ever dared to use it.
Amongst other things, she has the power to declare war and send our troops to fight it (she does command them after all) , to dissolve a government and personally choose the next, and to put something into law without it going through parliament or the Lords (amongst other things as I said).
Old Jul 14th 2013, 9:23 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Too many responses on here are along the lines of "that's how we have always done it - take it or leave it," when in fact the oath is an anachronism and there are genuine reasons to object to it.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 10:43 am
BEd Enthusiast

cjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Too many responses on here are along the lines of "that's how we have always done it - take it or leave it," when in fact the oath is an anachronism and there are genuine reasons to object to it.
But to be honest, so is the whole charade of a citizenship ceremony. What does it actually represent other than an opportunity to relieve you of a couple of hundred bucks?

All hail Liz, all hail Harper, all hail Justin Bieber?.. Really, it's just depressing that anyone would seriously give a toss?...

Last edited by cjones; Jul 14th 2013 at 10:56 am.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 1:14 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
But that is the Canadian way.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 3:19 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by bats
But that is the Canadian way.
You beat me to it.

(Although it's an argument frequently put forward by my mum too.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.