British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Proud of my wife! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/proud-my-wife-925285/)

Hurlabrick May 28th 2019 12:55 am

Proud of my wife!

Sponsored my lady wife for PR and we arrived in November 2017. Started initially nr Ottawa, but didn't work out so moved to London, ON and going well.

She was in with a massage therapist who was chatting to her about our recent trip back to the UK to see here Mum and relatives etc. He asked her how she enjoyed 'going home'. She quickly replied 'it's not my home, Canada is my home now'. I was so proud and pleased to hear her say that. I know it is a big leap for many / most people, but when you still think of somewhere else as your 'home' I suspect you will have real problems settling.

BristolUK May 28th 2019 1:30 am

Re: Proud of my wife!

I always thought of home as where I was living.
When I was living in a flat in the 70s for a bit and then later when I bought my own house, people at work would ask "are you going home for Christmas?"

I'd say "no, I'm going to my parents (later just my mum's) for a few days." :nod:

So it was quite easy moving over here and thinking of Canada as home - at least once the temporary spell with the in-laws was done. My old house or my mum's house is how I refer to the past life. Or back in Bristol.

scilly May 28th 2019 3:28 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12690020)
When I was living in a flat in the 70s for a bit and then later when I bought my own house, people at work would ask "are you going home for Christmas?"

I'd say "no, I'm going to my parents (later just my mum's) for a few days." :nod:

So it was quite easy moving over here and thinking of Canada as home - at least once the temporary spell with the in-laws was done. My old house or my mum's house is how I refer to the past life. Or back in Bristol.

While I was at university and working in the UK, I would say I was going home to see my Dad. But I was in digs or renting a flat with 2 other young women, so I wasn't settled anywhere.

As soon as we married and left the UK, it became we were going to England to see the parents.

Hurlabrick ............ your wife has adapted much faster than a lot of people do!

I also think you are quite correct to say " but when you still think of somewhere else as your 'home' I suspect you will have real problems settling."

As long as you are looking back and thinking of what you are missing, then you don't look around to see what is here.

scrubbedexpat091 May 28th 2019 3:34 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12690020)

When I say I am going home, I mean San Diego, when coming back to BC. I always say I am going back to Vancouver, if going say work to apartment, I usually say something around the lines of I am leaving work now and going to the apartment or something along those lines.

cheeky_monkey May 28th 2019 1:33 pm

i always say im going home when i visit the UK...a few Canadians have said isn't this your home..nope i live here but its not my home..when i retire i will go back "home"

SchnookoLoly May 28th 2019 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick (Post 12690010)
Sponsored my lady wife for PR and we arrived in November 2017. Started initially nr Ottawa, but didn't work out so moved to London, ON and going well.

She was in with a massage therapist who was chatting to her about our recent trip back to the UK to see here Mum and relatives etc. He asked her how she enjoyed 'going home'. She quickly replied 'it's not my home, Canada is my home now'. I was so proud and pleased to hear her say that. I know it is a big leap for many / most people, but when you still think of somewhere else as your 'home' I suspect you will have real problems settling.

Awwwww this is very cute and made me smile. :) Glad she is settling in well and that London is working out nicely for you!! :D

Oink May 28th 2019 5:47 pm

Some of us can afford to have more than one home.

MillieF May 31st 2019 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly (Post 12690289)
Awwwww this is very cute and made me smile. :) Glad she is settling in well and that London is working out nicely for you!! :D

Yes, I think Hurlabrick has gone to the top of my ‘what a thoroughly nice man’ list too. How nice, thoughtful and supportive you sound:thumbup:

BristolUK May 31st 2019 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 12691823)
...Hurlabrick has gone to the top of my ‘what a thoroughly nice man’ list too.

I demand a recount :hysterical:

Hurlabrick May 31st 2019 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 12691823)

Yes, I think Hurlabrick has gone to the top of my ‘what a thoroughly nice man’ list too. How nice, thoughtful and supportive you sound:thumbup:

Thank you for that, but I have to confess to an element of self-interest here too! I love it here and would not want to even consider what would happen if my wife hated it and wanted to go back to the UK!!!

Gordon Barlow Jun 1st 2019 3:47 am

It may be an Australian thing, and/or a generational thing, but as a youthful Aussie and ready to travel and see the world, I was asked from time to time by grandparents (born in Oz), when I was going "home" - or, better, "Home" with a capital H - meaning England.

Oink Jun 4th 2019 7:07 am

I was proud of my wife last Saturday late evening when she revealed and demonstrated that she could still fit into her college aged candy striper uniform. Subsequently she made some additional considerations to spice up the evening a bit but overall, I was very proud.

scrubbedexpat142 Jun 4th 2019 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick (Post 12690010)

Well done that lady!

Sadly, after 5 years mine still refers to the UK as home and I fear that, for her, the end of the road is nigh.