Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

protests over pipelines

protests over pipelines

Old Jan 9th 2019, 5:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default protests over pipelines

One of the busiest streets in Vancouver and a major transit route has been shut down by pipeline protesters/protest of some sort.

I counted at least 7 transit buses stuck.

https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/c...ngs_and_clark/

(Not my photo or reddit post, I just walked down to see as all the commotion got the dog all crazy)

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 9th 2019 at 6:14 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2019, 5:52 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: protests over pipelines

protests in Toronto yesterday as well
https://www.reddit.com/r/toronto/com...happening_now/
Old Jan 9th 2019, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody anarchists.....
Old Jan 9th 2019, 6:49 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

It's good to see people protesting for what they believe in. I wish more Canadian's would do this instead of just complaining online...
Old Jan 9th 2019, 7:54 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
It's good to see people protesting for what they believe in. I wish more Canadian's would do this instead of just complaining online...
Some years ago, the government in NB wanted to sell NB Power to Hydro Quebec, promising frozen electricity charges.
They backed down after a strong campaign against it. I'd never seen the like.
Old Jan 9th 2019, 9:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

After 4 hours VPD decided to put up cones and park a police car in the intersection before the protest instead of having an officer stand and direct traffic which is what they were doing.

The road E Hastings & Clark is also an entry to the Port which is why I assume they chose to block this particular intersection.
Old Jan 10th 2019, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

It is the usual loud minority, backed up by US corporate money, causing as much disruption as they can to make it seem as if they represent more people than they do. The news carries stories like hundreds turned out to protest, great but hundreds maybe thousands in a population of millions means jack. The LNG pipeline currently being protested had all the required permits and permissions inc. from elected band councils of all 20 first nations along the route. However, some first nations members (non elected hereditary chiefs) and NGOs didn't like the decision and as such have engaged in an illegal operation to erect barricades and prevent access. As such the supreme court issued an injunction against the barricades which the protestors chose to ignore. Funny how these protestors cite the law when it suits their argument, such as the BC courts decision in trans-mountain pipeline consultation, but chose to ignore it when it doesn't, as in this case. RCMP therefore moved in to enforce the court injunction. Predictably NGOs are now making this an issue about indigenous rights, to mask their true intentions which are anti oil and gas and resource sector development.

Horgan, who is anti trans-mountain, made a good speech on this yesterday:
"We recognize the rights of those across the country who wanted to voice their concerns about this project. However, it has been my view that LNG Canada has shown they understand the importance of consultation and meaningful reconciliation with First Nations, and that’s why they have signed agreements with every First Nation along the corridor.”

"I would hope they would remain peaceful,” Horgan said. “They have every right to object, it’s a fundamental principle in Canada and British Columbia. If they’re breaking the law, there are consequences for that, and that’s why 14 people were arrested yesterday."

“I don’t want to diminish the significance of the protests yesterday, but they were not uniformly focused on Wet’sewet’en territory,” Horgan said. “There are no orcas, for example, on Wet’suwet’en territory. There were those who were highlighting that. There were those talking about diluted bitumen. There were those talking about eradicating capitalism. There was a whole bunch of discontent on display for Canadians to see.”

All this is causing chaos in the resource sector, and the NGOs are playing on this. They are working to actively move the goal post to make it so difficult that it isn't worth their time or energy, "oh you had approval of the elected band councils, well they don't count now its the non-elected hereditary chiefs you have to convince". If developers and investors cannot be sure of a level playing field when the rules are clearly established and followed by all parties then they will stop investing in Canada, this will only lead to drop in western Canada's economy (sorry but we are a resource based economy) and increased investment is the US and middle east countries (with their dubious human rights records).
Old Jan 10th 2019, 6:19 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
If some of the money from the lobbyists make its way to me then you will see me coming out to the streets too.
Old Jan 10th 2019, 7:07 pm
Account Closed

This was apparently the group from the protest yesterday.

About us – Alliance Against Displacement

Local media seems to have largely ignored reporting it, I can only find reports on News 1130 and The Daily Hive.

https://www.citynews1130.com/2019/01...ouver-protest/

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 10th 2019 at 7:14 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2019, 10:50 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
If some of the money from the lobbyists make its way to me then you will see me coming out to the streets too.
I meant, I would like to see Canadians grow a set of balls and adopt the French revolutionary spirit.

In 2006 the French government was forced to drop an attempt to loosen restrictions on firing young people after violent street protests. That shit would never happen here.
Old Jan 11th 2019, 12:46 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

There has been such goings on in Alberta too, there is somethi g scheduled for Saturday local to me. There have been a few yellow vest protesters out by city hall, just a few, not enough to make any difference.
Old Jan 13th 2019, 12:32 am
Account Closed

A small group of protesters are walking up Hastings, just walked past our place, I counted 17 police officers on either motorcycle or bikes both in front and behind the protesters.

Protest group is small maybe 20 people if that, probably more cops.....
Old Jan 13th 2019, 12:45 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

So that’s what it was! We had seven protesters up by the Irving station near Walmart, but it was real feel -22 yesterday and it’s pretty chilly up there...you’d have to very cross to stay there for long...no police.
Old Jan 13th 2019, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Best to ignore them, with luck they will go away.....