British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Pro's and cons of receiving PR visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/pros-cons-receiving-pr-visa-665472/)

destinationnovascotia Apr 25th 2010 8:19 am

Pro's and cons of receiving PR visa

We recently received our visa's and are going to St. Stephen today to flagpole so we are feeling a little more laid back about the process and able to feel humour again. I was thinking of all the advantages of our current situation but suddenly all of them have another side to them.

Pro - after 3 years we finally have our visa's

Con - we only have 3 weeks to land and I am working every weekend so we have to drive all the way to St Stephen and back in 1 day after a night shift.

Pro - we can now get a SIN for our children and put them into slave labour to keep us in the style to which we would like to become accustomed.

Con - now we live in Canada the kids do so many activities they probably won't have time to work until they are about 30!

Pro - I am now longer on a work visa I can quit my job anytime I like.

Con - the whole ****ing process has cost so much I will probably have to work until I die.

Pro - we have found so many fun things to do (sailing/skiing/kayaking etc) since we lived here.

Con - we spent so much on new toys we can't afford the time off to use them (well maybe we do a little).

There must be lots more that others could add. Overall though, we have not visited the UK since we left almost 2 years ago and really have no desire to do so. Despite the con's, we wouldn't swap our new lives for anything.

How about you?

Tangram Apr 25th 2010 1:05 pm

Re: Pro's and cons of receiving PR visa

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia (Post 8519830)
We recently received our visa's and are going to St. Stephen today to flagpole so we are feeling a little more laid back about the process and able to feel humour again. I was thinking of all the advantages of our current situation but suddenly all of them have another side to them.

Con - we only have 3 weeks to land and I am working every weekend so we have to drive all the way to St Stephen and back in 1 day after a night shift.

Pro - we can now get a SIN for our children and put them into slave labour to keep us in the style to which we would like to become accustomed.

Con - now we live in Canada the kids do so many activities they probably won't have time to work until they are about 30!

Con - the whole ****ing process has cost so much I will probably have to work until I die.

Pro - we have found so many fun things to do (sailing/skiing/kayaking etc) since we lived here.

Con - we spent so much on new toys we can't afford the time off to use them (well maybe we do a little).

There must be lots more that others could add. Overall though, we have not visited the UK since we left almost 2 years ago and really have no desire to do so. Despite the con's, we wouldn't swap our new lives for anything.

How about you?

Actually you could get your kids a SIN when you were on temporary work permit as I did.

Clematis Apr 25th 2010 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia (Post 8519830)

How about you?

I would say that my pro/con list is identical to yours! We are waiting for our passports to come back.

JAJ Apr 25th 2010 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Tangram (Post 8520122)
Actually you could get your kids a SIN when you were on temporary work permit as I did.

You can't get a permanent SIN as temporary residents.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Perman...sidence-Canada

Tangram Apr 25th 2010 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 8520513)
You can't get a permanent SIN as temporary residents.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Perman...sidence-Canada

But you can get a SIN, which is what the OP said.

destinationnovascotia Apr 25th 2010 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by Tangram (Post 8520122)

We tried. We went to Service Canada on 3 separate occasions and they looked into it for us and the consensus was that the kids needed PR before they could have a SIN.