Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Pronunciation difficulties

Pronunciation difficulties

Old May 30th 2012, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

beautiful050278 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pronunciation difficulties

My son is called Oliver and Canadians just dont understand his name unless I say Oliverrrrrrrrrr
Old May 30th 2012, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

FriendlyManitoba is just really niceFriendlyManitoba is just really niceFriendlyManitoba is just really niceFriendlyManitoba is just really niceFriendlyManitoba is just really niceFriendlyManitoba is just really niceFriendlyManitoba is just really niceFriendlyManitoba is just really nice

Originally Posted by Denhamgirl
Just had a conversation with someone who was trying desperately (and failing) to pronounce the Worcestershire in Worcestershire sauce, bless her. It made me giggle, especially when I told her to try using 'wuster-sure' or even just 'wuster' and those in the know would undertand what she was talking about. Cue the glazed-over look...

Any other words you get a kick out of listening to people on this side of the world struggle with? Or any words you get told you aren't pronouncing properly?
Gulp. My Canadian Worcestershire is 'Wor-sure-sure'. I'd better brush up!

Americans say FOYERRRR, where we say FOY-Yay, for a home entrance.
They say Trash to our garbage.
Their Aunt (ant) is an Onnt
and their blouses are blowses (rhyming with louses)
Our gah-radge (garage) is their gay-radge
Canadian "Do you want a bag?" is U.S. "Wold ya like a sac for thay-at?"
Canadians - washrooms U.S. - Restrooms

Our shopping carts are your trolleys (?) and U.S. Buggies.

Your car bonnet is our car hood.
Your car boots are our car trunks.

Don't ever order 'chips' in the States, as in 'Fish and Chips', or you may receive potato chips, or your British crisps. Fries are the word in the U.S.

Don't ask for the restaurant bill in the States..you need to ask for the check.

Your flats are our apartments.
Your puddings are not like our puddings.

Great thread.
Old May 30th 2012, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by FriendlyManitoba
Gulp. My Canadian Worcestershire is 'Wor-sure-sure'. I'd better brush up!

Americans say FOYERRRR, where we say FOY-Yay, for a home entrance.
They say Trash to our garbage.
Their Aunt (ant) is an Onnt
and their blouses are blowses (rhyming with louses)
Our gah-radge (garage) is their gay-radge
Canadian "Do you want a bag?" is U.S. "Wold ya like a sac for thay-at?"
Canadians - washrooms U.S. - Restrooms

Our shopping carts are your trolleys (?) and U.S. Buggies.

Your car bonnet is our car hood.
Your car boots are our car trunks.

Don't ever order 'chips' in the States, as in 'Fish and Chips', or you may receive potato chips, or your British crisps. Fries are the word in the U.S.

Don't ask for the restaurant bill in the States..you need to ask for the check.

Your flats are our apartments.
Your puddings are not like our puddings.

Great thread.

Love gay-radge - might start using that
Old May 30th 2012, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

Denhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to all

gay-radge?! Is that true? Cos if it is, that is going to be the word of the week at my house, I love it! So many possibilities with that one.

For the longest time, I thought the presenter of the breakfast show on CBC radio here was called Andy Berry; turns out his name is Andy Barrie.

Have to agree with the mirror one too, my Canadian husband says it like 'meeerr' and he says engine like 'injun'. And the bugger has the cheek to take the mickey out of the way I say Tuesday (choosday) and tuna (choona).
Old May 30th 2012, 6:41 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Knor (nor) is k-nor over here when it is a silent K but herbs is erbs with a silent H. dumb f*****s!
Old May 30th 2012, 6:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

My husband's name caused difficulties to his Canadian colleagues for quite some time, until they gave up trying to figure out how on earth Graeme was pronounced, and just went back to calling him 'Gram'.
Old May 30th 2012, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

FriendlyManitoba is just really niceFriendlyManitoba is just really niceFriendlyManitoba is just really niceFriendlyManitoba is just really niceFriendlyManitoba is just really niceFriendlyManitoba is just really niceFriendlyManitoba is just really niceFriendlyManitoba is just really nice

I'm dead serious about gay-radge. Lol. I suppose I may have said the American garage is pronounced with a long "A", but this sounded more interesting. Haha.

Last edited by FriendlyManitoba; May 30th 2012 at 6:53 pm.
Old May 30th 2012, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Pronunciation difficulties

Originally Posted by FriendlyManitoba
I'm dead serious about gay-radge. Lol. I suppose i may have say garage is with a long "A", but this sounded more interesting. Haha.
Still, you have made my day
Old May 30th 2012, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
My husband's name caused difficulties to his Canadian colleagues for quite some time, until they gave up trying to figure out how on earth Graeme was pronounced, and just went back to calling him 'Gram'.
I know 2 Grahams and a Graeme.

I hope Gray-em has been ok all of these years.

Last edited by FriendlyManitoba; May 30th 2012 at 6:53 pm.
Old May 30th 2012, 6:53 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

My dog is called Bobby. When people ask, and I say it, I get a blank look more often than not. When I say "Like short for Robert", some people remain blank, some people say "Oh, Baaawwwbby".

I now feel I have two choices, either ignore the question completely or tell them a name that is easier.

Suggestions welcome.
Old May 30th 2012, 6:56 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

My husband is called Paul, Canadians usually pause and say "pool?" so I repeat is and they say "ah Pawl"
Our dog is called Duke or Doookie, our English friends think I am referring to Duckie on Facebook

Old May 30th 2012, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
My dog is called Bobby. When people ask, and I say it, I get a blank look more often than not. When I say "Like short for Robert", some people remain blank, some people say "Oh, Baaawwwbby".

I now feel I have two choices, either ignore the question completely or tell them a name that is easier.

Suggestions welcome.

They're likely hearing "Boe-bie".

I'd tell them the dog's name is simply 'Hardware'.

When they ask you why you named your dog Hardware?

Tell them when you swat him on the butt, he makes a bolt for the door.

Last edited by FriendlyManitoba; May 30th 2012 at 7:01 pm.
Old May 30th 2012, 7:04 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I've finally got HID to call a sack barrow a sack barrow rather than a dolly.
Old May 30th 2012, 7:13 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Suggestions welcome.
Similar here. Mine is called Wally but most people hear "Wooly". Now i tell people his name is Steve.
Old May 30th 2012, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

Suggestions welcome.

I am glad we named our dog Jacob - no problems there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.