Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Process for buying contact lenses - really?

Process for buying contact lenses - really?

Old Feb 10th 2015, 3:34 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Process for buying contact lenses - really?

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Try another Wal-Mart and see if they say the same thing?

Are the vision centers in Wal-Mart owned by them or 3rd party running them?
They're third party, just like the pharmacies.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 11:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
Maybe you could use some lenses to find the correct thread !!

( before anyone accuses me of being rude.... I'm only kidding. Thought it was funny that's all)
Oop's. Not even sure how I managed that one....

I do have glasses, but doc said only need to wear them at night when driving.....
Old Feb 11th 2015, 12:47 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

I took my son's prescription into Costco last week along with 2 boxes of his brand news lenses from his own eye doctor and asked Costco to quote their price for the same lenses. They told me they would need to measure his eyes. Eh what????
Old Feb 12th 2015, 3:06 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

So Walmart have now decided they do charge for their "test" - a mere $15 to check exactly what a qualified optometrist did 2 weeks ago!!! They can't provide any supporting documentation as to the rationale for needing to check someone else's work, but they are cheaper than Vogue Optical who want $50 for the test (although they do apply that as a credit to the final bill, maybe???).
Old Feb 12th 2015, 3:20 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry ..... Can I just confirm some facts here..

You ( or family member) went to a specific optometrist at Walmart to get contact lens prescription

When you returned to the same branch to order the lenses they need another test which costs 15 dollars.

I know they are cheaper but Id be really tempted to tell them where to go.

Was it explained to you thAT they'd charge you what is effectively an ordering fee?

Were you wearing lenses when you had the exam?

I'd be asking for a copy of their complaints procedure and reporting them to what ever body was appropriate.

The only thing I can think of is if it is a different branch or optometrist then they could argue that lenses have to be dispensed under the supervision of a qualified practioner.
They could argue they have a duty of care to conduct a fitting exam

I know that in some practice's not all the staff are qualified to dispense lenses
Old Feb 12th 2015, 3:45 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't have my eyes tested at Walmart but I wanted to buy my contact lenses there because they would be much cheaper than the optometrist who tested my eyes (at least 50% cheaper).

I have a 2 week old Rx from a qualified optometrist which is valid for 2 years, however unless I buy from that optometrist I have to have a test to check that the details on the Rx are correct. According to the opticians I've spoken to this is a provincial requirement (although no one can provide the actual details of this), and the opticians charge for this test, although some then offset the cost against the purchase of the lenses.

In the case of Vogue Optical the test is $50, lasts for 1 hour and takes detailed measurements of my eyes. In the case of Walmart it's $15 ant takes 20 minutes, so there's no consistency
Old Feb 12th 2015, 4:36 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cxx
According to the opticians I've spoken to this is a provincial requirement (although no one can provide the actual details of this)
I couldn't find anything to match that.

I did find several references to prescriptions not always including Pupillary Distance (PD), as if that was a sneaky way of reducing the likelihood of losing the rest of your business because another supplier would want to measure it and then charge.

Now, this was for specs and not contact lenses but I suppose you might get staff who know it happens for glasses and just apply it to everyone.

I also read someone 'in the business' who said sometimes they measure pupil size for contact lenses. They didn't say why only sometimes, so it might be something not always relevant for the patient.

So something similar could be going on as for the PD aspect. If there's no reference to it on the prescription, the supplier of the contact lenses may feel they might be supplying lenses inappropriately because they haven't been able to confirm it.

Could be a liability issue, or at least bad publicity.

Maybe that 20 minute check for $20 is that measurement while the longer check for $50 is a "well we have to do a pupil measurement, we might as well do the other stuff too."
Old Feb 12th 2015, 7:56 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cxx
I didn't have my eyes tested at Walmart but I wanted to buy my contact lenses there because they would be much cheaper than the optometrist who tested my eyes (at least 50% cheaper).

I have a 2 week old Rx from a qualified optometrist which is valid for 2 years, however unless I buy from that optometrist I have to have a test to check that the details on the Rx are correct. According to the opticians I've spoken to this is a provincial requirement (although no one can provide the actual details of this), and the opticians charge for this test, although some then offset the cost against the purchase of the lenses.

In the case of Vogue Optical the test is $50, lasts for 1 hour and takes detailed measurements of my eyes. In the case of Walmart it's $15 ant takes 20 minutes, so there's no consistency
If there was some sort of regulation, then presumably online dispensing opticians like clearycontacts.ca are in regular (constant?) breach of that regulation for every prescription they fill? That strikes me as complete nonsense. However, if it's still way cheaper, i'd be tempted to just pay up the $15 as a Walmart convenience-tax and move on.

But then again: contact lens prescriptions normally have two extra bits of information in addition to the basic scrip - the base curve and the lens diameter. Some manufacturers make lenses in various sizes. Could it be this information they look for when they check your eyes before selling you contacts? (i.e. not a prescription check at all, just a physical check for measurements?)
Old Feb 12th 2015, 8:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I called my optometrist in BC and asked if they would fill a prescription from another doctor without an eye exam by their doctor and they said no, you have to get another test prior to them filling it.

My guess is it could be a liability issue and some places are not willing to put their trust into another doctor and want to confirm the prescription is correct.

And of course its also a money maker for them.

If Wal-Mart is still cheaper after the $15, pay it and go with them, you probably won't get them to waive it.
Old Feb 13th 2015, 8:57 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Yes welcome to Canada, where optometry is a con.
Old Feb 17th 2015, 9:42 pm
Nova Scotia

Bellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond repute

I found them online at Contacts Express cheaper they were a ton cheaper than Walmart or the opticians, super fast service too!
Old Feb 18th 2015, 12:04 am
cxx
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bellanova
I found them online at Contacts Express cheaper they were a ton cheaper than Walmart or the opticians, super fast service too!
It must depend on the lenses - the ones I was looking at are 25% more with Contacts Express
Old Feb 18th 2015, 11:35 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bellanova
I just put my prescription in there and it worked out to *exactly* the same price as what my optometrist charges.

And I've just banged it into a couple of US websites too, taking into account the difference in the exchange rate, also exactly the same price.

If that isn't price fixing I don't know what is.
Old Feb 19th 2015, 5:29 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
I just put my prescription in there and it worked out to *exactly* the same price as what my optometrist charges.

And I've just banged it into a couple of US websites too, taking into account the difference in the exchange rate, also exactly the same price.

If that isn't price fixing I don't know what is.
My optometrist does price comparisons with online retailers and makes competetive offers.
Old Feb 19th 2015, 9:38 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

You must all have prescriptions where there is more price competition possible, is all I can surmise. I've never had any luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.