Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Prince Harry and Meghan ......

Prince Harry and Meghan ......

Old Apr 6th 2021, 6:47 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prince Harry and Meghan ......

Originally Posted by BEVS
I am confused now. When did it lose its warrant ?
Oh - where has the pic gone? I would like to see the crest.
Looks like they don't have it now...
The family crest:

Old Apr 6th 2021, 6:59 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Really confused tbh .I think I will contact for clarity.

The lunk is to a directory. Not sure it contains all the RWs.
Old Apr 6th 2021, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
and stop dishing out awards referring to the Empire.
It's telling, in relation to Australia, that the most ridiculed act of the most pro-Monarchy PM in recent Australian history (Tony Abbott), was to re-introduce "knights" and "dames" (complete with honorific "Sir" and "Dame" modes of expected address--in modern-day Australia!!! ) to the panoply of otherwise laudable worthy-citizen awards generally announced in the run-up to Australia Day.

Worse yet, Abbott awarded one to Prince Philip, who had been famously quoted asking, in some previous visit, whether Australian Aboriginals "still chucked spears at one another?"

Abbott embodied the Australian "cultural cringe" (a metaphorical tug of the forelock towards Old Blighty) at its embarrassing worst.
Old Apr 6th 2021, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
I'd disagree here.

Moving forward Britain's progress and ingenuity is not tied to the Royal Family in anyway and should not be- it's simply amazing that Canada and Australia haven't done away with the figurehead.

It's an outdated institution that doesn't solve anything. Really it would be better for the country and the family if they went their separate ways.

At this stage the only beneficiary to the arrangement is Prince Andrew who is hiding in the shell to avoid the pedophile charges in the US that are catching up with him.

Shut it down.
Well we will have to agree to disagree, I think its an integral part of Britain, and its culture, a country that turns its back on its history does so at its peril. Thankfully most of people still see that today, history is very important.

Plus the Queen has been an excellent ambassador for Britain who is detached and politically unbiased, and apart from erasing Britain's living history by getting rid of her, what would we replace the her with as head of state? a politically biased and potentially corrupt politician?

Originally Posted by bats
and stop dishing out awards referring to the Empire.
I don't see a problem with the awards, again its British culture and tradition. Granted some do receive them that don't really deserve them, but there are also some very deserving cases too, in recognising people that have done great work for charities.
Old Apr 6th 2021, 3:33 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Well we will have to agree to disagree, I think its an integral part of Britain, and its culture, a country that turns its back on its history does so at its peril. Thankfully most of people still see that today, history is very important.

Plus the Queen has been an excellent ambassador for Britain who is detached and politically unbiased, and apart from erasing Britain's living history by getting rid of her, what would we replace the her with as head of state? a politically biased and potentially corrupt politician?

I don't see a problem with the awards, again its British culture and tradition. Granted some do receive them that don't really deserve them, but there are also some very deserving cases too, in recognising people that have done great work for charities.
Most excellent post in fact!

Old Apr 6th 2021, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

I don’t have much common ground with you Paul on this thread, but this is a good post, particularly the second paragraph. I had always thought that once the Queen is gone they should all go but I can’t see that there is an obviously better replacement.

I do think bats was referring to the names of the honours (the ‘BE’) rather than their existence. Although any system that has rushed the PM’s brother into the HoL to brush disagreements under the carpet needs some serious looking at.
Old Apr 6th 2021, 4:29 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

There shoukd be awards but call them something that doesn't hark back to the British Empire and associated exploitation of the people. The Order of British Excellence has been suggested. Benajamin Zephaniah turned down an OBE "I get angry when I hear that word 'empire'; it reminds me of slavery, it reminds me of thousands of years of brutality, it reminds me of how my foremothers were raped and my forefathers brutalized.," The honours system, like the monarchy, needs modernising. Y
Old Apr 6th 2021, 4:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
I don’t have much common ground with you Paul on this thread, but this is a good post, particularly the second paragraph. I had always thought that once the Queen is gone they should all go but I can’t see that there is an obviously better replacement.
Is there any need for a replacement? Why even have a nominal head of state?

I'm trying to think, who is the head of state of Switzerland, of Chile, of Ethiopia, of Sweden? I don't know and I suppose that's because it's not important. If a country doesn't have a head of state then they might not have anyone to send to various festivals of pomposity. I suppose that's a shame if you like tessellated uniforms but then you could go to drag clubs instead. What would be lost isn't obvious to me.
Old Apr 6th 2021, 5:14 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Is there any need for a replacement? Why even have a nominal head of state?

I'm trying to think, who is the head of state of Switzerland, of Chile, of Ethiopia, of Sweden? I don't know and I suppose that's because it's not important. If a country doesn't have a head of state then they might not have anyone to send to various festivals of pomposity. I suppose that's a shame if you like tessellated uniforms but then you could go to drag clubs instead. What would be lost isn't obvious to me.
Nothing would be lost.

The history is there to be examined, studied and analyzed.

The Queen has nothing to gain from political bias which is the ultimate bias in itself. She’s “looked after” who ever in is in power. Then she dies and the next unelected person takes over.

Britain’s history whilst bold and brash attracts and is growing more than its fair share of scrutiny. Predating parliament the monarchy has very little to be proud of. Of course none of this is Liz’s fault and she may be an ok human being but really where is “the monarchy” headed. Is it to just sit there forever? Does she think one day she’ll wrest power back or is she simply not able to do anything else with her time?

The Vatican and Pope make more since than the lunacy of the monarchy.
Old Apr 6th 2021, 8:39 pm
`

The Vatican and Pope make more since than the lunacy of the monarchy.
The Queen is head of the Church of England .
Old Apr 6th 2021, 9:08 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

The Queen is head of the Church of England .
The Church of England makes no sense at all.
Old Apr 6th 2021, 11:02 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I can see the sense of having a non political non elected head of state and Brenda has done that well but Charles has opinions which he opines. H and M notwithstanding the
monarchy needs to be trimmed, modernised blah blah blah
Old Apr 7th 2021, 1:33 am
`

The Church of England makes no sense at all.
None of them do .
Old Apr 7th 2021, 5:14 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

None of them do .
Yet kowtowing to a 'Royal Family' does?
Old Apr 7th 2021, 5:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Plus the Queen has been an excellent ambassador for Britain who is detached and politically unbiased...
Oh, bullshit.

Her fingerprints were all over John Kerr (the Australian G-G)'s dismissal of Gough Whitlam's Labor government in Australia in 1975.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-...eased/12452616

When the letters were released on Tuesday morning, almost nobody was as excited to read them as historian Jenny Hocking, who has been trying to get access to the letters since 2016.
She said, upon first impression, the nature of the conversations between Sir John and Buckingham Palace were "concerning".

"A head of a constitutional monarchy must at all times remain politically neutral, and must remain above the politics of the day," Professor Hocking said.

"The really startling thing about these letters is the extent to which the governor-general, Sir John Kerr, is communicating with the Queen about exactly those issues — about political matters that are happening in Australia at the time, about options he may face."

"The Queen, in response, is engaging with that level of conversation at a very political level."

"You could not get more political than the crisis in the Senate that the government faced, and the eventual dismissal without warning of the elected government."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.