Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Prince Harry and Meghan ......

Prince Harry and Meghan ......

Old Jan 22nd 2020, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prince Harry and Meghan ......

Originally Posted by Dorothy
So whose marriage should we dissect next? Perhaps some of the posters here spouting all this vitriol should think about how they would feel having blatant lies and half truths spread about their marriages. Honestly I find it disgusting the things some of the posters here are writing about a family they know nothing about other than what's being written in the gutter press.

All his life Harry has been subjected to speculation about his parentage, his mother was hounded relentlessly by the press (whether she manipulated the coverage or not is speculation) until she died being chased by them. Now his wife is being treated like something to scrape off the bottom of a shoe. And people blame her for his decision to protect his wife and child. It's ddespicable the way some of you on these threads behave.
I actually had this happen to me!

The neighbourhood gossip lived across the street from us, we were to have some work done on the outside to the house, and the workers would also have access to the inside, while we were both out at work.

So I made a point of telling her this, so she would not phone the police.

About 3 days later my next door neighbour asked if it was true that we were having the work done because we were selling the house, and then separating. I was then going to go to Australia and OH would have our daughter and move somewhere.

I have no idea how many other people got the same story.

We just roared with laughter.

Chinese whispers and all that!
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 5:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

So whose marriage should we dissect next? Perhaps some of the posters here spouting all this vitriol should think about how they would feel having blatant lies and half truths spread about their marriages. Honestly I find it disgusting the things some of the posters here are writing about a family they know nothing about other than what's being written in the gutter press.
I’ve always thought that someone very rich, who has money to burn, should start their own rag, and hound certain reporters ( and I use that term loosely) and paparazzi and their families and write tons of shit and lies and sensationalist drivel about them, and then publish it. Long range camera lenses into their back garden, bad photos at the gym, who wore it best, “an unnamed source said...”, rumours of infidelity, chase their kids by the school gates for comments. Turn those tables fast and furious. How long do you think they’d last before wittering on about intrusion of their privacy? How much of a ‘public’ figure do you need to be to be ‘asking for attention’ and ‘deserve all they get’. Attention seeking media whores.

Elton, are you reading this?

Last edited by ann m; Jan 22nd 2020 at 5:43 am.
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Like I said earlier it’s par of the course marrying into the Royals and Meghan has had it by far the easiest out of all of the women. Doesn’t mean it’s right or nice and if she doesn’t want to put up with it that’s her choice. She would’ve gone into this relationship with her eyes wide open though, I doubt the Royals would’ve told her the media are great and everyone will worship you. They probably also would’ve accommodated her if she wanted to play a low key role and just left Harry to do the Royal duties.

This is a forum for people to share their opinions on topics, if you don’t like it, don’t read it. There’s no need for chastising and name calling of others who don’t share yours.
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 11:39 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
I’ve always thought that someone very rich, who has money to burn, should start their own rag, and hound certain reporters ( and I use that term loosely) and paparazzi and their families and write tons of shit and lies and sensationalist drivel about them, and then publish it. Long range camera lenses into their back garden, bad photos at the gym, who wore it best, “an unnamed source said...”, rumours of infidelity, chase their kids by the school gates for comments. Turn those tables fast and furious. How long do you think they’d last before wittering on about intrusion of their privacy? How much of a ‘public’ figure do you need to be to be ‘asking for attention’ and ‘deserve all they get’. Attention seeking media whores.

I have mixed feelings about this idea. I have seen the naked pictures of Piers Morgan. I don't think I could take ones of Sarah Vine even if informed observers close to their families advise that they're banging like a dunny door in a hurricane.
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 11:41 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by confused_uk

This is a forum for people to share their opinions on topics, if you don’t like it, don’t read it. There’s no need for chastising and name calling of others who don’t share yours.
If you're going to dish it out you should expect some of it to come back.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 22nd 2020 at 11:58 am. Reason: You know better than that! No name calling pls.
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
<snip>if you're going to dish it out you should expect some of it to come back.
I’m not directing insults at people on this forum, I’m sharing my opinion of someone in the public eye who is never going to read this. There’s a difference, what you are doing is far worse so have no right to the moral high ground.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 22nd 2020 at 11:58 am. Reason: Site Rule 1, personal insult removed
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 11:54 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't want to draw fire for trash talking them, you'd be safer in the Harry and Meghan thread in TIO. While real name calling is probably against the site rules, this is the Canada board, and because Canadians are polite, if someone is being stupid or mean or deliberately obtuse, someone will probably say something to show disapproval. One safeguard from those chastising you is the ignore function; it will block posts by a chosen member but they'll still appear when quoted.
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 12:19 pm
Assimilated Pauper

so have no right to the moral high ground.
So I've been advised, often.

Nonetheless, trashing someone is the same whether they are famous or not. If the person makes a living from nastiness, Piers Morgan, Sarah Vine, JRM, any columnist for the Daily Mail, then they're a fair target. The duchess formerly known as Markle hasn't waded in, she's thrown no punches, she doesn't deserve all these savage comments. There's a whole year's worth of spite on this thread and it's only January. It's not wrong to do well at one's job and to marry a Prince, if I'd had the chance I'd have jumped at it. I didn't but I don't begrudge the woman who did and feel no need to put her down.
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 1:28 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
...the workers would also have access to the inside...
I thought you were going to report a different kind of made up story
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 2:07 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m

if only someone would do what Hulk Hogan and Peter Thiel did to Gawker...ie, sue them for so much that they go bankrupt.
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 2:15 pm
Banned

swagwalk is an unknown quantity at this point

Elton John...as the God father to Harry, clearly had some influence in the decision to move to BC/Canada, after they spent Xmas here. Elton lives in BC with his partner
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

This is what has been puzzling me ever since the Safe Street Act was mentioned as protecting them in Canada, and in BC (different acts federally & provincially).

The BC act is against aggressive panhandling, whether that be within a certain distance from ATM machines, shop or bank doorways, or "washing windshields" at an intersection.

There is no mention that I could find of anything other than that.

So I'm not sure how any one could expect to use that Act as a means of prosecuting paparazzi, or even Joe Blow taking a photo with his cell phone.
As you suggest the Act doesn’t seem to be relevant at all.

https://www.eonline.com/ca/news/1114...g-herself-into

If the Duke and Duchess had said they wanted to step back from public life for a quiet existence in say Norfolk or Cumbria the media would most likely for the most part leave them alone. Instead they seem to have chosen to adopt roles along the lines of Brad and Angelina. That the press will treat them similarly shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone.

Old Jan 22nd 2020, 2:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by swagwalk
Elton John...as the God father to Harry, clearly had some influence in the decision to move to BC/Canada, after they spent Xmas here. Elton lives in BC with his partner
Elton John doesn't live in BC, and he's not Harry's godfather either.
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 3:32 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

All his life Harry has been subjected to speculation about his parentage, his mother was hounded relentlessly by the press (whether she manipulated the coverage or not is speculation) until she died being chased by them. Now his wife is being treated like something to scrape off the bottom of a shoe. And people blame her for his decision to protect his wife and child. It's ddespicable the way some of you on these threads behave.
Nicely put..
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

This is what has been puzzling me ever since the Safe Street Act was mentioned as protecting them in Canada, and in BC (different acts federally & provincially).

The BC act is against aggressive panhandling, whether that be within a certain distance from ATM machines, shop or bank doorways, or "washing windshields" at an intersection.

There is no mention that I could find of anything other than that.

So I'm not sure how any one could expect to use that Act as a means of prosecuting paparazzi, or even Joe Blow taking a photo with his cell phone.
The safe streets act prevents aggressive solicitation, I guess whether you define harassing someone to try to get a photo of them as soliciting them.
In this Act, "solicit" means to communicate, in person, using the spoken, written or printed word, a gesture or another means, for the purpose of receiving money or another thing of value, regardless of whether consideration is offered or provided in return.

I'll accept that it's sort of borderline, as a photo is a "thing of value" that they are trying to receive, but it's perhaps too abstract to apply.

Global BC have actually talked a bit about what laws could protect them in BC, Canada - criminal harassment laws and the Privacy Act were mentioned, so those may be more applicable.

https://globalnews.ca/video/6444976/...-photographers
https://globalnews.ca/video/6446410/...ght-to-privacy

Last edited by CanadaJimmy; Jan 22nd 2020 at 4:13 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.